Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

KFC employee asks scarred 3 year old to leave restaurant

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM
  • 29 Replies

(link)

Family says girl scarred by pit bull attack asked to leave restaurant

Restaurant responds to social firestorm

JACKSON, Miss. - A 3-year-old girl who was attacked by pit bulls in April was asked to leave a restaurant in Mississippi because her scars scared customers, the girl's grandmother told a television station there.

The family of Victoria Wilcher took to social media to call out KFC because of the treatment the family said it got in a Jackson, Mississippi restaurant.

"Does this face look scary to you?" accompanied a picture of Victoria Wilcher on the Facebook page Victoria's Victories , which documents the child's recovery from an attack at her grandfather's home in which three dogs mauled the girl, police said.

"The right side of her face is paralyzed. She's got a lot of surgeries to go through and she won't even look in the mirror anymore," Victoria's grandmother, Kelly Mullins, told WAPT-TV . "When we go to a store, she doesn't even want to get out (of the car). She's 3 years old and she's embarrassed about what she looks like. She's embarrassed, and I hate it because she shouldn't be. It ain't her fault."

Victoria hadn't felt that way until last week, when she was turned away from a KFC, Mullins said.

"I ordered a large sweet tea and her some mashed potatoes and gravy because she was hungry. She was on a feeding tube at the time, but I figured she could just swallow (the potatoes)," Mullins said. "They said, 'We have to ask you to leave because her face is disrupting our customers.' (Victoria) understood exactly what they said."

Mullins said she put Victoria in the car and left and that Victoria cried all the way home.

"No matter what's wrong with a person, if a person's different, if a person's scarred, or is a different color or anything, people shouldn't be discriminated against," Mullins said. "Her being 3 years old and already being discriminated against, it makes me mad, because I know for the rest of her life it's going to be like that."

KFC officials sent an email to WAPT in response to the incident.

"KFC launched an investigation as soon as we were made aware of this report. We take this very seriously, as we have zero tolerance for any kind of hurtful or disrespectful actions toward our guests. Our investigation is ongoing, but we have been in touch with the family and are committed to doing something appropriate for this beautiful little girl and her family. We will also work with the franchisee to take appropriate action at the restaurant once the specifics of the incident are determined," said KFC spokesman Rick Maynard.

Victoria is on antibiotics and still has more surgeries ahead of her, but she's doing well, her grandmother said.

"She surprised us. I think she surprised everybody. She's a fighter," Mullins said.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelenia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM
This poor kid:(
nurse1997
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM

They are lucky it wasn't my kid !!! Hope this baby heals fast !

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree!  I would have ripped someone a new one.  Who picks on a child like that?  The "scared" ones can leave.  I am glad KFC has reached out positively to the family.

Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't even understand why anyone would say that. Firstly, who's the asshole customer that complained? Secondly, is this not 2014 where we are all pretty aware of what is appropriate and what isn't?
Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Oh that poor girl.

I know how she feels.  I was in a bad accident a few years ago that left my,hands,arms, face and neck very messed up.  Some scarring did occur.  I hated going outside.  People would stare and whisper, point at me like I wasn't even there or didn't notice it.  They made me feel less than a person.  

I have a three year old and this completely breaks my heart.  I just want to give that girl a hug and tell her that she is beautiful.  That no matter what anyone else says her bravery and strength through her ordeal make her better than that dumbass employee.  I would then offer to make her a cool decorative eye patch :)

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope this one is a lie!
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you mean scared or scarred? The little girl is scarred, apparently some customers were scared.

At any rate, after removing the little girl (because what would follow would not be appropriate for a 3 yo to hear) I would have gone on a rant like that employee had never and would never again experience.

There is absolutely no excuse or reason for her to be asked to leave.

Quoting bellawomen:

I agree!  I would have ripped someone a new one.  Who picks on a child like that?  The "scarred" ones can leave.  I am glad KFC has reached out positively to the family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM

haha yup.  Typo corrected.

Quoting canadianmom1974: Did you mean scared or scarred? The little girl is scarred, apparently some customers were scared. At any rate, after removing the little girl (because what would follow would not be appropriate for a 3 yo to hear) I would have gone on a rant like that employee had never and would never again experience. There is absolutely no excuse or reason for her to be asked to leave.
Quoting bellawomen:

I agree!  I would have ripped someone a new one.  Who picks on a child like that?  The "scared" ones can leave.  I am glad KFC has reached out positively to the family.

mommieof38829
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have caused a scene. Poor little girl having to go through that because of ignorant people.
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I couldn't even read this whole thing to be honest.  I read up until the point where her grandmother talks about her being embarassed to go out in public and I got really choked up and couldn't continue.

SMH in disgust.  People should be ashamed of themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)