Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Gun Lobby’s New Tactic: Redefining 'School Shootings' So They Don’t Count

Posted by   + Show Post

If you’d lost the capacity to be appalled by those opposing reform of America’s gun laws, their latest effort should fix that.

Photo Credit: Spinetta/Shutterstock

The drumbeat of news about gun violence in the United States is so steady and rhythmic these days that it’s starting to fade into the background. Another week, another school shooting. One of the biggest risks now is of a population-wide numbness, eroding the will to tackle the crisis. So perhaps we should be grimly grateful whenever the gun lobby demonstrates that it retains the power to horrify.

Case in point: this sequence of tweets by the conservative journalist Charles C Johnson, featured on Glenn Beck’s website The Blaze and onHot Air, and being forwarded enthusiastically everywhere among pro-gun tweeters and bloggers. (I found it via Quinn Norton.)

Johnson takes it upon himself to debunk the claim, made by the gun reform group Everytown for Gun Safety, backed by Michael Bloomberg, that there have been 74 school shootings since Adam Lanza killed 20 children, six adults and himself at Sandy Hook elementary School 18 months ago. In fact, Johnson concludes, there have only been seven. How does he manage this feat of mathematical magic? Simple: by narrowing the definition of “school shooting” so far that almost none of them count.

Let’s be fastidiously fair to Johnson and his supporters by acknowledging that a handful of the incidents he identifies do seem misclassified. Most people, for example, would surely agree that a shooting that doesn't happen on a school campus isn’t a school shooting. But the rest of his alleged debunkings offer a truly depressing glimpse of how pro-gun argumentation works these days.

It doesn’t count, for example, if you’re a student shot at school by a gunman who wasn’t originally planning to shoot up a school that day:

It doesn’t count if the bullet you’re injured by, on school grounds, was discharged accidentally:

It certainly doesn’t count if you’re the one who shoots yourself to death at school:

It isn’t a school shooting even if it’s a shooting, at school, so long as the victim, on this occasion, is an adult rather than a child:

Continued it first reply

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Replies (51-56):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I cannot tell if you fake not comprehending the point, or you really just cannot follow a conversation.

Oh well

SOSDD

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: And, predictably, you step from hypocrisy to deflection. You are the one who tried to turn death counts into a competition, dollface.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Incredibly stupid

One idiot tries to blow up a plane with a bomb in his show and now we all have to take off our shoes in an airport

Since the Boston Marathon bombs, the FBI have showed up on doorsteps of people that searched PRESSURE COOKER and BACKPACK together

Yes owning multiple assault rifles is A-OK

A New York Times review of hundreds of child firearm deaths found that accidental shootings occurred roughly twice as often as the records indicate, because of idiosyncrasies in how such deaths are classified by the authorities. The killings of Lucas, Cassie and Alex, for instance, were not recorded as accidents. Nor were more than half of the 259 accidental firearm deaths of children under age 15 identified by The Times in eight states where records were available.  link

How many dead children will be enough for you?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: So one death is too many for guns but not homemade bombs? Or would you care to revise your asinine theory that questioning the stat of 74 MUST mean WE do not think one death matters? You just did exactly what you and others are wailing about being wrong with the pro gun rights crowd. Oh but I am sure you will find a way to pretend it is different. When gun rights advocates do it we are necessarily (in your mind) diminishing the death of kids by guns... bit when YOU do it, well gee, surely YOU would not be diminishing the death of anyone who was killed by a sparkler pressure cooker. Right? Hypocrite.
Quoting sweet-a-kins: How many sparkler pressure cooler deaths vs gun deaths in America Just an estimate would be good
Quoting Carpy:

Tell that to the Boston bombers using sparklers and pressure cookers.

Quoting meriana:

Disgusting but then the NRA which used to be about gun safety has become about anyone who wants one owning any kind of weapon they choose.

Then there are those who, when any kind of gun regulation comes up start crying about their 2nd amendment rights and how the Gov. is going to take all their guns away. Then how will they protect their families. Honestly the fear some of these people live with is almost scary in itself, since someone really fearful is far more likely to shoot first and ask questions later.

The other thing they point out is that in the absence of a gun someone who wants to do harm will find some other weapon. Well that IS true and pretty much anything can be used as a weapon. On the other hand, using that other weapon (not including vehicles) requires a far more hand to hand, face to face situation than a weapon one can shoot from a considerable distance and kill dozens in a few seconds.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Home invaders are ok with you then?

Quoting sweet-a-kins: The blood thirsty pigs that support this are devoid of a soul and would happily murder someone with their precious penis extension They can't wait to be able to murder someone for stepping in their open garage or through a locked screen door or murder some black teens for loud music They cheer on there maniac killers and hold them as Hero's , some even make posts rejoicing in the profits they are making off the murder of school children We need to be worried about them ...as they are the ones that want to use their guns to murder people and some are raising kids with the same gun/blood lust. They value things ner than people

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Quoting sweet-a-kins: The blood thirsty pigs that support this are devoid of a soul and would happily murder someone with their precious penis extension They can't wait to be able to murder someone for stepping in their open garage or through a locked screen door or murder some black teens for loud music They cheer on there maniac killers and hold them as Hero's , some even make posts rejoicing in the profits they are making off the murder of school children We need to be worried about them ...as they are the ones that want to use their guns to murder people and some are raising kids with the same gun/blood lust. They value things ner than people

The stupidity of ammosexuals never ceases to amaze and disgust me

Just so YOU know (because you make wild assumptions that reflect your poor comprehension skills)

I am not opposed to gun ownership

I am also not opposed to using weapons in self defense

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Godgaveme4: My children and millions of other children in our country witness responsible gun use and ownership everyday. When they see my husband with his gun on his hip they see the correct way to carry. You do not fidget with it and you definitely do not draw attention to it. But a few idiots smoke a spectacle of themselves and of course every gun owner is guilty by association. Nothing new. I do not want guns kept from my children. I want to teach them how to use one and when to use one. I want to teach them how to live in society and deal with disappointment properly and not with a weapon. It is against the law for my children to own a gun but they can use one under my close supervision.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Godgaveme4: Oh my goodness seriously? I should have known this would be turned around on the pro gun people. And people just keep falling for it. Good grief!

I am not 'pro gun'... nor am I 'anti gun'.

I am, however, worried about the many, many people who cannot see the forest because of the trees.  Owning weapons is not what I am talking about.  It is finding some way to keep weapons out of the hands of those who are irresponsible and keeping them from our children.  Access is wide, that much is clear.  I would hope you would be able to see and acknowledge that.

Totting a damn weapon around because you can is as asinine as I have ever envisioned any one could be.  That is most certainly not teaching your (general) children to be responsible.  This is only one example.

There MUST be a middle ground.

I know this.  My children included.

However, this isn't about just our own.  This is about all those others who are irresponsible and taking all of this to the extreme.  

Our children have far too much access to weapons.  If it doesn't start at home where does it start?

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Still more deflection from SAK, the woman who tried to turn death counts into a competition. And yeah, sadSAK, that is exactly what you did in your response below to Carpy.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I cannot tell if you fake not comprehending the point, or you really just cannot follow a conversation.

Oh well

SOSDD

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: And, predictably, you step from hypocrisy to deflection. You are the one who tried to turn death counts into a competition, dollface.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Incredibly stupid

One idiot tries to blow up a plane with a bomb in his show and now we all have to take off our shoes in an airport

Since the Boston Marathon bombs, the FBI have showed up on doorsteps of people that searched PRESSURE COOKER and BACKPACK together

Yes owning multiple assault rifles is A-OK

A New York Times review of hundreds of child firearm deaths found that accidental shootings occurred roughly twice as often as the records indicate, because of idiosyncrasies in how such deaths are classified by the authorities. The killings of Lucas, Cassie and Alex, for instance, were not recorded as accidents. Nor were more than half of the 259 accidental firearm deaths of children under age 15 identified by The Times in eight states where records were available.  link

How many dead children will be enough for you?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: So one death is too many for guns but not homemade bombs? Or would you care to revise your asinine theory that questioning the stat of 74 MUST mean WE do not think one death matters? You just did exactly what you and others are wailing about being wrong with the pro gun rights crowd. Oh but I am sure you will find a way to pretend it is different. When gun rights advocates do it we are necessarily (in your mind) diminishing the death of kids by guns... bit when YOU do it, well gee, surely YOU would not be diminishing the death of anyone who was killed by a sparkler pressure cooker. Right? Hypocrite.
Quoting sweet-a-kins: How many sparkler pressure cooler deaths vs gun deaths in America Just an estimate would be good
Quoting Carpy:

Tell that to the Boston bombers using sparklers and pressure cookers.

Quoting meriana:

Disgusting but then the NRA which used to be about gun safety has become about anyone who wants one owning any kind of weapon they choose.

Then there are those who, when any kind of gun regulation comes up start crying about their 2nd amendment rights and how the Gov. is going to take all their guns away. Then how will they protect their families. Honestly the fear some of these people live with is almost scary in itself, since someone really fearful is far more likely to shoot first and ask questions later.

The other thing they point out is that in the absence of a gun someone who wants to do harm will find some other weapon. Well that IS true and pretty much anything can be used as a weapon. On the other hand, using that other weapon (not including vehicles) requires a far more hand to hand, face to face situation than a weapon one can shoot from a considerable distance and kill dozens in a few seconds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting BaronSamedi:

The stupidity of ammosexuals never ceases to amaze and disgust me

Just so YOU know (because you make wild assumptions that reflect your poor comprehension skills)

I am not opposed to gun ownership

I am also not opposed to using weapons in self defense

Yes. Most Americans support reasonable gun laws, and have no wish to see the Second Amendment done away with; most Americans recognize that the situation regarding gun accessiblility and consequent death and injury to be untenable.

Too bad the lawmakers are in the pocket of the gun lobby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN