Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FL woman kidnaps daughter to prevent her from being vaccinated, studying black history

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM
  • 55 Replies

By Scott Kaufman
Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:51 EDT

megan elizabeth everett

A woman from Sunrise, Florida is now wanted on federal charges that she kidnapped her daughter in order to prevent her from being vaccinated and learning about black history.

Last April, Broward Circuit Judge Steven Feren granted dual custody of Lilly Everett to Megan Everett and Robert Baumann. On May 6, Baumann dropped his daughter off at her mother’s house for a week-long visit, but when he returned to the home, Everett was not there.

Baumann did find a note, however, that read “You are a great dad” — with the word “great” underlined multiple times — but “if I let them take her and vaccinate her and brainwash her, I wouldn’t be doing what’s right. I cannot let a judge tell me how my daughter should be raised. We will miss you. But I had to leave.”

On May 19, Broward Circuit Judge Michele Towbin Singer issued a warrant for Everett’s arrest on charges of custodial kidnapping, interference with court-ordered custody, and concealing a minor contrary to a court order. Federal authorities became involved on Friday when it became evident that Everett had crossed state lines in order to avoid prosecution on the state charges.

Baumann told The Orlando Sentinel that he had planned to have his daughter Lilly vaccinated so she could enroll in preschool, but that Everett objected to that plan.

“She found this new idea that vaccines are horrible,” Baumann said. “I think she wanted to keep her from being vaccinated because that would keep her out of day care.”

“One of the issues we had was, she wanted to home-school my daughter,” he added. “I didn’t want that to happen. She didn’t want Lilly to learn about black history. She just wanted her to learn about the Confederacy.”

Court documents suggest that the reason Everett didn’t want her daughter studying black history is that she had become involved with a man named Carlos Lesters, who is described as “a Confederate-flag-waving gun enthusiast” with family in George and Kentucky. When authorities contacted Lesters, he informed them that she was gone “and not coming back.”

According to the federal criminal complaint, “Lesters informed detectives that Everett … knew she would have to live her life as a fugitive. However, in her mind, the time that she spent with her daughter ‘free’ of Baumann would be ‘worth it,’ regardless of how brief the time was.”

Everett’s mother, Pam, said that she would rather her granddaughter be in her father’s care.

“In the state of mind my daughter is in, Lilly would be better off with Robert,” she said. “I have four kids, and Megan is my baby. I don’t know what happened to her.”

Baumann agreed, saying “my daughter deserves to be safe and happy, and I don’t believe being on the run is physiologically OK for a three-year-old.” Moreover, he said that “I do fear for my daughters life. I do fear that she is not in a safe place. If she gets injured I don’t think that she would seek medical attention.”

For video on this, please click on the link below, since cm does not allow for any but a small number of video players to be embedded:

http://www.rawstory.com/

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM
8 moms liked this

Well, this is all completely one side of the story.  I'd like to hear the mother's side.

Parents need to agree on these issues.  It's harder to do when you already disagree enough to get divorced.  And the kids suffer from it all.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this
She sounds like she's having some mental health issues
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM
4 moms liked this
She sounds like a nutjob. The alleged fact the maternal grandmother thinks the child is better off with her father is telling.
jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Just a smidge

Quoting sweet-a-kins: She sounds like she's having some mental health issues
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

This woman needs help.  She has gone about things all wrong, obviously, and the one who will suffer the most is her daughter.

I hope they are found soon.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Oh wow, I know a couple of ladies on CM who well. I'll have to check to see if they have posted lately.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Christ on a cracker obsess about vaccines much?

Roxanne92
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
One word CRAZY
BrutalTruth
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM
5 moms liked this
Omg. She doesn't want her daughter to learn about black history. I can't even with this. On the bright side, I doubt she'll have any kind of custody after kidnapping her and making herself look so mentally ill, once they catch her. And I'm fairly certain they will catch her, I doubt she's very bright.
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM

where do you guys find these obscure stories!

I believe things like this happen, but the reporting is kind of off.  maybe it's the source?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)