Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Toddler Forced to Urinate in Seat After Airline Refuses to Let Her Go Potty

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM
  • 62 Replies

Toddler Forced to Urinate in Seat After Airline Refuses to Let Her Go Potty (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley

A mother says that JetBlue made her 3-year-old daughter go potty in her seat. Jennifer Deveraux was traveling on a flight from New York to Boston when her plane became delayed and sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes. During that time, her toddler had to pee. Hell, I would have had to pee. Thirty minutes? That's a long time for a toddler -- or me -- to hold her water. Deveraux, however, says the rude flight attendant wouldn't let her take her little girl to the bathroom. But when nature calls ...

The little girl, Summers, did the only thing she could do at that point -- piss in her seat. Go, Summers!

Deveraux, not wanting to stink up the entire plane nor have her child sitting in a pool of pee, got up to grab some towels and try to clean up the mess. But if she couldn't take her kid to the loo, I don't know why she thought JetBlue would be reasonable now. The flight attendant allegedly snapped at her to sit back down and wouldn't let her clean up.

Then things got even worse. The mom says she told the ornery flight attendant:

Please give me a break. My daughter had an accident because you wouldn't let me take her to the bathroom. After I clean it up I will sit down.

But the flight attendant instead reported the mom to the pilot. Then the pilot turned the plane around and headed back to the gate. And he announced they were doing so because of a "non-compliant passenger." Way to make a frazzled mom and her urine-soaked toddler sound like terrorists! Starting to sound like a really bad sitcom plot.

However, at this point, an off-duty pilot sitting in front of the by-now frightened mom convinced the crew to let her stay. Another passenger who witnessed the incident Tweeted: "Everyone on flight 518 should be fired."

JetBlue says it is investigating the mortified mom's complaint, but defended itself on Twitter:

There are very strict FAA regulations when a plane is on the tarmac.

Huh. I'd love to see the part in the FAA handbook where it says toddlers must pee in their seats! I guess common sense isn't something JetBlue looks for when hiring.

Anyway, this story is a good lesson to traveling parents to perhaps use a diaper on their kid even if he or she is potty-trained. I might do the same thing!

Team Mom or Team JetBlue?

Click here for video on the story from CBS Boston

Image via CBS Boston

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM
5 moms liked this

What a crappy decision made by the attendant and pilot.

Anyone watch Orange is the New Black? No one told her about a pee pad.

:P

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this
I want to hear both sides... And who doesn't take a young kid to the bathroom BEFORE boarding a plane?

There are strict rules about who can and can't be moving around on the plane when it's not at the gate.
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I can use the restroom five minutes before a movie starts and still have to go again 30 minutes later!  I think the delay and the tiny bladder of a 3 year old were bigger issues.

Quoting terpmama: I want to hear both sides... And who doesn't take a young kid to the bathroom BEFORE boarding a plane? There are strict rules about who can and can't be moving around on the plane when it's not at the gate.

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Wow! There's some compassion there for ya.
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I get that their are rules while on the tarmac, but I think that the attendants was being alittle anal about the whole situation:/  the mom should have thought ahead, even potty trained kids have accidents and to be on the safe side she should have put a pull up on her daughter just in case.  Lessons learned on both sides hopefully:/

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Quoting terpmama: I want to hear both sides... And who doesn't take a young kid to the bathroom BEFORE boarding a plane? There are strict rules about who can and can't be moving around on the plane when it's not at the gate.

Yes, there are rules but when someone has to go, they have to go.  Especially little ones.

While I may be able to hold it others cannot.  

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
And it's a bummer when that happens but it doesn't change the fact that sometimes you can't just get up and go when you feel like it. The stewardess didn't do it just to be mean but because they were on the Tarmac and you aren't allowed out of your seat for safety reasons.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting terpmama: I want to hear both sides... And who doesn't take a young kid to the bathroom BEFORE boarding a plane?

There are strict rules about who can and can't be moving around on the plane when it's not at the gate.

Yes, there are rules but when someone has to go, they have to go.  Especially little ones.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Quoting terpmama: And it's a bummer when that happens but it doesn't change the fact that sometimes you can't just get up and go when you feel like it. The stewardess didn't do it just to be mean but because they were on the Tarmac and you aren't allowed out of your seat for safety reasons.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Jet Blue is known for being rather rude on a regular basis.  At any rate, I wasn't there so I don't know if, in fact, the flight attendant was rude and if they could have handled this differently.

The expectation, however, that every one, especially little ones, can hold it and should is where the issue comes in to play.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I kinda miss the days where you could only get your news from the newspaper and the  hour of news in the evening.  It cut way down on these types of non news events getting ridiculous attention.  

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

This was an unfortunate incident that should have remained between the parents and the airline. A toddler peeing their pants is not news.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)