Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

RIP Tony

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

Quote:

Baseball Legend Tony Gwynn Dead At 54

tony gwynn

AP

San Diego Padres legend Tony Gwynn died at age 54 on Monday.

He had been undergoing treatment for cancer, and had been on medical leave from his job coaching San Diego State since April.

Gwynn retired in 2001. He played for 20 seasons, compiling more than 3,000 hits and entering the Hall of Fame in 2007. His incredible statsshow he was one of the best hitters in the history of the sport.

According to CSN Philly, Gwynn was first diagnosed with cancer in 2010. He has had two surgeries, one to remove a tumor on his cheek.

His son, Philadelphia Phillies player Tony Jr., told CSN on Sunday, "This has been the hardest of the four years he’s fought it, by far."

Major League Baseball announced the news.

Gwynn was the rare superstar athletes who played his entire career for a single team. In his Hall of Fame speech, he had some great things to say about the organization:

"I played for one organization, the San Diego Padres, and when this day started out today, I thought I was going to go third. I thought I was going to get to hear what other people said about their towns and their cities.  I only know one way, that's the Padre way. I wore brown, I wore the brown and gold, I wore the blue and orange.  I didn't get a chance to wear the sand and whatever color blue you want to call that, but I'm proud as heck to be a San Diego Padre. I played for one team, I played in one town. I told the people of San Diego when I left to come to Cooperstown, they were going to be standing up here with me, so I hope they are just as nervous as I am, because this is a tremendous honor to be here today."

He was one of the best ever.

You guys may not really care but this man, Mr. Padre, is someone I knew and someone I watched play for my hometown team his entire career.

He wasn't just one of the best on the field, he was one of the best off the field.

This hurts my heart and pisses me off.  How I hate cancer.

May he RIP and I hope my mom and her best friend are sitting next to him now, as they always did when they were alive.

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Cancer sucks:(  I am sorry for your loss mama.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Fuck cancer.
Momtoone07
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Fuck you, cancer! Another young soul, lost way too soon.
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Tony not only was a fabulous ballplayer, he was a genuine human being as well. I think it says something that SDSU just recently announced he'd be staying on as head coach of their baseball team even though he missed half of the last season because of his illness.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM
I'm very sorry. Cancer's a bastard.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Tony not only was a fabulous ballplayer, he was a genuine human being as well. I think it says something that SDSU just recently announced he'd be staying on as head coach of their baseball team even though he missed half of the last season because of his illness.

Yes, indeed.

Makes me want to go home.

The impact this man  had, for so many years, on so many people, and the city of San Diego, is astounding.

jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM
RIP Tony.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Sad news

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I met TG, what a sweet guy and I think somewhat under-appreciated as a player - what he did as a batter will probably never be touched. I was unaware he was ill. Horrible to lose someone so good so young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN