Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Self defense...with a weapon

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM
  • 18 Replies

After reading many of the stories posted about how unrealistic it is to own a gun and how your are just paranoid if you carry one, I have decided to post some stories of people who have used a fire are in self defense.  There have been post after post about people using forearms to harm others.  It is tile for the other side of the story.

Protected by a gun, that I thought I didn't need

.  I am glad I had something to protect myself and I would have. ok, and then ran across the street to the passenger side of the truck and they sped off.  This all happened in less than 5 minutes......My employee was a little late coming down that morning and when he got to my car he found me with the gun in hand and very upset but ok, ok by the way).  It was cold so I had the windows rolled up and I always locked the doors so I didn't think anything of this person at first.  When he reached my vehicle he stopped and punched the driver's side window and yelled at me to put the window down.  I was shocked at first and just sat there.  He punched the window again.  Continued punching and then started going to the back of the car, punched the back window, all the while shouting for me to roll the window down.  (Meanwhile the guard in the gatehouse did nothing)  When he went to the passenger side of the vehicle and started punching the window, I realized I had taken my gun out of my purse (which was on the floor behind the driver's seat) and had put it in the glove box.  I scrambled to get it out, as I did he came back around to the driver's side......he punched the window once and by the second punch, I had taken the gun out of the holster, taken the safety off and was now pointing it right at his face !!!!  I knew then, if he broke the window I would fire!!! I never thought I could do that but I found out self preservation made me think and do something to protect myself.  He immediately put up his hands, said vwI was protected by a gun, that I thought I didn't need, but was made to carry by my husband.  I worked in the city and  traveled 37 miles each way from home. I was picking up one of my employees at his apartment complex while his vehicle was in the shop.  One morning around 6 a.m., it was still dark when I pulled into his complex.  I pulled in directly in front of the guard house and turned around facing the street.  As I waited for him, I noticed a truck parked across the street on the island.  A person got out and ran across the road directly to my car (which was a

I read this and other on this site: The Well Armed Woman  I am not sure why have not visited this site before.  If you are one of the moms who carries, you may be interested in it.

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't carry a gun. I don't know how to use one. I admit that I'd be afraid to fire one. Moreso, I would be afraid to have one in my house in case my children got a hold of it. All of this I feel really stupid about, because I totally support our country upholding the 2nd Amendment. I guess I feel, let the men of the house take care of that. It's sexist, but my gut feels this way. Which is also stupid on my part, and my dh's because while he feels the way I do that the Constitution should be intact, he doesn't own a gun either. I think people can keep them in a safe away from their kids, but honestly, then how would it be feasible to use it for protection if, say, you were being broken into at night and you had to go get it out of a safe?

At any rate, it is a right that Americans need to have, and I do think women who carry probably are safer in most instances, from becoming a victim of crime on the street.

I just have a personal conflict. While legally Americans have a right to bare arms, I almost think my personal choice barring the fact I don't know how to use a gun and it wouldn't be safe in my house, I almost think that also being a Christian I'd have to let myself die at the hands of some criminal rather than do harm to him. Is that right? People aren't supposed to kill other people, it's a sin. I know, a real paradox. I mean then I think about my kids, and I think, oh boy nobody should hurt them though or I'd tear them a new one with my bear hands. I mean, I could lay down my life but not my kids- I'm the parent, my job to protect them and I'd do that even without a firearm, in any way I could in whatever situation might warrant their protection.

I think just the fact that we have the right, makes it difficult for people who don't respect our laws or our rights to oppress us. It's a good law to have the 2nd Amendment. It keeps the peace. If we are armed citizenry, then no one should mess with us. Just the law provides protection and then no violence would ever be necessary.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Thanks for your honesty.  It sounds like you have some inner turmoil to solve.  It really ccomes down to a personal choice for each of us and our comfort level. 

You should read this story. A True Story About Home Invasion: Would You Be Ready? 

I am not posting it to make you feel bad or scare you.  Please know that.  But when I read her story, she said things that i read women on this site say.  I was shocked.  And i am not asking you to read it to change your mind.  It is just good to be informed.

As a Christian, I pray everyday for God's protection over my family.  And I hope that i will never have to use my gun against anyone.  But I think there are evil people in the world.  And like you said, it is our job as parents to do all we can to protect our children.  When i was going through my training, the police officer had me practice shooting with both hands.  I was not comfortable with this.  I am right handed and I needed to ONLY practice with that hand.  Then he played out a scenario for me.  HE described me in my room holding my children behind me with one of my arms.  He told me that you have to be able to use whatever hand is available to shoot your intruder.  From that monet on I began practicing with one handed with both the left and right.

Than you again for sharing.

Quoting buttersworth:

I don't carry a gun. I don't know how to use one. I admit that I'd be afraid to fire one. Moreso, I would be afraid to have one in my house in case my children got a hold of it. All of this I feel really stupid about, because I totally support our country upholding the 2nd Amendment. I guess I feel, let the men of the house take care of that. It's sexist, but my gut feels this way. Which is also stupid on my part, and my dh's because while he feels the way I do that the Constitution should be intact, he doesn't own a gun either. I think people can keep them in a safe away from their kids, but honestly, then how would it be feasible to use it for protection if, say, you were being broken into at night and you had to go get it out of a safe?

At any rate, it is a right that Americans need to have, and I do think women who carry probably are safer in most instances, from becoming a victim of crime on the street.

I just have a personal conflict. While legally Americans have a right to bare arms, I almost think my personal choice barring the fact I don't know how to use a gun and it wouldn't be safe in my house, I almost think that also being a Christian I'd have to let myself die at the hands of some criminal rather than do harm to him. Is that right? People aren't supposed to kill other people, it's a sin. I know, a real paradox. I mean then I think about my kids, and I think, oh boy nobody should hurt them though or I'd tear them a new one with my bear hands. I mean, I could lay down my life but not my kids- I'm the parent, my job to protect them and I'd do that even without a firearm, in any way I could in whatever situation might warrant their protection.

I think just the fact that we have the right, makes it difficult for people who don't respect our laws or our rights to oppress us. It's a good law to have the 2nd Amendment. It keeps the peace. If we are armed citizenry, then no one should mess with us. Just the law provides protection and then no violence would ever be necessary.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:29 PM

thank you but ughhh..i can't read that. i actually used to live in a town where a very high profile home invasion happened a few years back that made national headlines. right after it happened my gf and I went grocery shopping together, we were so freaked out. you know, there really are ways to settle things without violence. i thnk God intervenes in our lives and for some people maybe not for some other reason.

i am conflicted but one way i am certain in my head:

i believe that our Bill of Rights should NEVER be touched -not changed, not twisted, nothing.

at the same time, I can believe we retain the right to bear arms but personally take a Christian stance as pacifist. because  i DO draw a line between what is secular, and what is religious.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Thanks for your honesty.  It sounds like you have some inner turmoil to solve.  It really ccomes down to a personal choice for each of us and our comfort level. 

You should read this story. A True Story About Home Invasion: Would You Be Ready? 

I am not posting it to make you feel bad or scare you.  Please know that.  But when I read her story, she said things that i read women on this site say.  I was shocked.  And i am not asking you to read it to change your mind.  It is just good to be informed.

As a Christian, I pray everyday for God's protection over my family.  And I hope that i will never have to use my gun against anyone.  But I think there are evil people in the world.  And like you said, it is our job as parents to do all we can to protect our children.  When i was going through my training, the police officer had me practice shooting with both hands.  I was not comfortable with this.  I am right handed and I needed to ONLY practice with that hand.  Then he played out a scenario for me.  HE described me in my room holding my children behind me with one of my arms.  He told me that you have to be able to use whatever hand is available to shoot your intruder.  From that monet on I began practicing with one handed with both the left and right.

Than you again for sharing.

Quoting buttersworth:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:28 AM
5 moms liked this

If I lived in America....I would live in Florida and arm myself to the hilt, have an open carry and conceal carry licence (if that is possible) and shoot anyone and everyone that looked like they were threatening me.

I would eat at chipotles and kfc with my semi automatic AK15 rifle and 5 clips of ammo.  I would drive the streets until I saw someone who looked like they were going to rob someone or something (hoodies, no hoodies) stalk the 7 elevens and really just hope I can get to kill someone ....with of course reason.

AND then....I would write my blog on a website created to blow hot air up the arseholes of every penis gun lover there was about....whilst stroking my hard weapon that was pressed up close against my skin.  ah ah ah ah ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

awww just joking....continue with your short story section :-)

out of curiosity how many save themselves by using a weapon ....opposed to those killing or harming another with a gun?

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Are you asking how many people use their weapon in self-defense as opposed to those who use their gun to commit a crime?  Sometimes using your weapon in self-defense can lead to the death of the attacker or criminal.

Quoting turtle68:

out of curiosity how many save themselves by using a weapon ....opposed to those killing or harming another with a gun?

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Hey turtle if I defend myself with rock salt am I still in the legions stroking it? :D It might get raw and the salt would burn.

(yes yes sorry I am terribly naughty)

Quoting turtle68:

If I lived in America....I would live in Florida and arm myself to the hilt, have an open carry and conceal carry licence (if that is possible) and shoot anyone and everyone that looked like they were threatening me.

I would eat at chipotles and kfc with my semi automatic AK15 rifle and 5 clips of ammo.  I would drive the streets until I saw someone who looked like they were going to rob someone or something (hoodies, no hoodies) stalk the 7 elevens and really just hope I can get to kill someone ....with of course reason.

AND then....I would write my blog on a website created to blow hot air up the arseholes of every penis gun lover there was about....whilst stroking my hard weapon that was pressed up close against my skin.  ah ah ah ah ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

awww just joking....continue with your short story section :-)

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:00 AM

Those are some great stories.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I enjoy reading stories about women being proactive in defending themselves. I think they should be shared more often.

Quoting stormcris:

Those are some great stories.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this
You should post the many stories where people were murdered with their own weapons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN