Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

14-year-old Idaho boy claims ‘stress’ of brother’s autism made him murder father and brother

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM
  • 43 Replies

14-year-old Idaho boy claims ‘stress’ of brother’s autism made him murder father and brother

"Eldon, when asked why he did what he did, said ‘If he wasn't there ... we'd be a happy family,' " said Magistrate Judge Barry Watson.

According to authorities, Eldon claimed his father had been taking unspecified medications and shooting a .45 caliber pistol into the air outside while talking about zombies. When the father came back into house, he began shoving Eldon, who wrestled the gun away from his father before shooting him in the stomach. Fearing that his father was still coming after him as he crawled on the floor, Eldon shot his father three more times in the head; twice in the cheeks and once in the temple.

"I felt scared, like he was going to kill me. I didn't know if he had the 9 mm on him," Samuel told the officers.

Saying he was afraid for his life, Eldon reportedly asked police if it was self defense.

"He just beat me. I loved him, but the next time he came after me ...," Samuel told police officers according to Judge Watson. "That's self-defense, right?"

According to the autopsy report, the boy then reportedly shot his brother, who had been hiding under a bed, with a shotgun before stabbing him multiple times and hacking him with a machete.

Police had been in contact with the family multiple times before the shooting, mainly after receiving calls that the elder Samuel was either inebriated or on drugs.

Authorities who responded to the call questioned Samuel and stated that the young man waived his right to talk to an attorney before confessing, causing concern for Judge Watson.

"Eldon said yes, he understood those rights, but the officer never asked if he wanted an attorney," Watson said. "We had witnesses testify that he seemed of average intelligence for a 14-year-old, but he didn't do well in school. He missed a lot of school."

Based upon the admission of abuse, Judge Watson reduced the charge of first degree murder to second degree murder in the death of his father.

He still faces first degree murder in case of his brother since it appears to have been premeditated.

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM
4 moms liked this

Quote:

According to the autopsy report, the boy then reportedly shot his brother, who had been hiding under a bed, with a shotgun before stabbing him multiple times and hacking him with a machete.

WTF???

and how does a 14 year old waive his rights? Shouldn't he be appointed a guardian because of his age BEFORE any questioning?

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I'm sick of these kids being charged as adults.  They are kids.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM

That boy has serious issues. Ok, so if he really believed his father was going to harm or kill him, there is a self-defense motivation but the brother was hiding under a bed so shooting, stabbing him looks very pre-meditated and just evil.

In.The.Abstract
by ღ on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM

His eyes! They just looked so dead and haunted.

He's a child, and they charged him as an adult. There's no way they could have let him waive his rights legally, is there?

He clearly has some major issues, and it sounds like perhaps he'd been pushed beyond his point of acceptance and control. The brothers death was clearly overkill, but I think that shows just how deep this child's anger and psychological problems runs.

Amazing how grimly we hold on to our misery, the energy we burn fueling our anger. Amazing how one moment, we can be snarling like a beast, then a few moments later, forgetting what or why. Not hours of this, or days, or months, or years of this... But decades. Lifetimes completely used up, given over to the pettiest rancor and hatred. Finally, there is nothing here for death to take away. (Henry Chinaski )

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:53 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting trippyhippy:

the boy then reportedly shot his brother, who had been hiding under a bed, with a shotgun before stabbing him multiple times and hacking him with a machete.

I don't want this kid to ever see the light of day

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM
3 moms liked this

I guess that since there is no mention of a mom, that this was a single parent home, dad self medicated, Eldon was left to care for himself and his brother who is autistic? At the ripe old age of 14? For who knows how long this has been going on? Where was child services? Bull shit!!!!!

happynewyorker
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Killing someone is an adult crime.  He should be tried as an adult.

Eldon shot his father three more times in the head; twice in the cheeks and once in the temple.  the boy then reportedly shot his brother, who had been hiding under a bed, with a shotgun before stabbing him multiple times and hacking him with a machete.   This is a crime of hate.  He wanted his father dead.  He wanted his brother dead.  Children need to be treated as an adult, once they decide to kill.  No one made him pull the trigger.  He did what he felt was right at the time.  never knowing what was ahead of him, if he continued with his life. 

The problem with many is that they see what is now and now what's coming.  They see what's on the block they stand on and not the next block. 

I feel for those that died by the hand of this child.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Me neither but he's still not an adult and it seems he comes from a lifetime of abuse from his mentally ill father. He is very possibly mentally ill himself. There needs to be another option.  Sending a 14 year old abuse victim to prison is insane.  Believe me as the mother of an autistic child this story is a nightmare to me too but I think a mental facility or something would be a better option.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting trippyhippy:

the boy then reportedly shot his brother, who had been hiding under a bed, with a shotgun before stabbing him multiple times and hacking him with a machete.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Neighbor: Teenage murder suspect seemed "troubled"

Posted on March 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho--Investigators said a teenage boy killed his father and brother in a horrific attack Monday night in Coeur d'Alene. It happened at a home near First Street and Spokane Avenue.

Authorities said 14-year-old Eldon Samuel III used a handgun, shotgun, knife and machete in the attack. He was accused of killing his father, 46-year-old Eldon Samuel Junior, and his 13-year-old brother.

Police said the teenage suspect would be charged as an adult.

READ: CDA teen confesses to killing family using a machete, guns and knife

The family lived in a family shelter owned by Saint Vincent de Paul of North Idaho next to other men's and women's shelters. Neighbors across the street were speechless about what happened.

James Knott said he had lived across the street from the home for around 10 years.

"We heard one single gunshot, supposedly there was more, but we might have missed it before we got home," Knott said. "This is 100 feet from where it happened. To know that someone was possibly butchering somebody to death. That's hard to sleep at night."

Knott said the family was fairly quiet and kept mostly to themselves. He said there were a couple times when the teenage suspect appeared to be very angry.

"The one older kid, the couple of times I saw him, he seemed like maybe he was a troubled teen just in the sense that he had a vulgar vocabulary towards his dad or his brother like they had fought or something like that," Knott said.

Another neighbor said he never saw any problems with the family.

"I have a wife, she's terrified now," said Knott. "I'm absolutely surprised that this happened. You would never think that a 14-year-old boy could possibly kill his father and little brother and especially in the way he did."

A police spokeswoman told KREM 2 News in 2013 that there had not been a murder in the City of Coeur d'Alene for around five years.

video

http://www.krem.com/news/crime/Neighbors-CDA-teen-that-killed-his-dad-and-brother-seemed-troubled-252366871.html 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I don't disagree that he probably had deep psychological issues and possibly is mentally ill and should be held in a mental health facility. I just think he should STAY there

What he did to his brother is just too much

Quoting trippyhippy:

Me neither but he's still not an adult and it seems he comes from a lifetime of abuse from his mentally ill father. He is very possibly mentally ill himself. There needs to be another option.  Sending a 14 year old abuse victim to prison is insane.  Believe me as the mother of an autistic child this story is a nightmare to me too but I think a mental facility or something would be a better option.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)