Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People Don't Like Vacationing Around People Openly Carrying

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM
  • 70 Replies

So, what do you think about the ability of towns to decide for themselves whether they allow open carry?

Missouri Town Discovers People Don’t Like Vacationing Around People Openly Carrying Firearms

BY IAN MILLHISER  

Gun Rights Lawsuit

Turns out, people don’t find it particularly relaxing to be surrounded by strangers carrying guns.

The Lake Ozark, Missouri Board of Alderman voted last week to ban gun owners from openly carrying firearms, even if they have a concealed carry permit, because they were afraid that armed individuals would chase away tourists. “We’ve had a tough time over the years promoting Lake Ozark as a family area,” Alderman Larry Buschjost explained. “We want you on the Strip with families, everywhere in Lake Ozark with families. We want you to bring your kids down here and let them loose. For the life of me, I don’t understand why I would have to carry any type of gun, concealed or otherwise.”

The ban was initiated by the local police chief, in part due to concerns raised by business owners.

These business owners’ concerns are hardly unique to one community in Missouri. After a group of pro-gun activists in Texas started showing up at businesses with assault rifles and other long guns, the restaurant chain Chipotle released a statement asking their patrons to leave their firearms at home because “the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers.” Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz made a similar statement, explaining that “customers in many stores have been jarred and fairly uncomfortable to see guns in our stores.” Other companies, ranging from Whole Foods to Toys R Us to Ikea, also ban guns.

Lake Ozark’s efforts to keep people with guns from scaring tourists and other patrons away from local businesses, however, may be short-lived. The Missouri state legislature recently passed a bill that will allow concealed carry permit holders to openly display their guns, regardless of local ordinances. The bill is currently awaiting Gov. Jay Nixon’s (D) signature or veto

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM
16 moms liked this

People take vacations in Missouri? On purpose?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. That was my first thought.

Quoting VooDooB:

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM
3 moms liked this

No, we do not.

I'm fine with a protest and walking down the street to show "you can" and all that.

I don't want it by the Marriot pool bar when my biggest decision is to have a pink or blue umbrella in my foofoo drink

Heisenberg
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Missouri is a popular vacation spot in the midwest. Branson has tons of tourism. We have a time share near Branson.

Quoting TruthSeeker.: Lol. That was my first thought.
Quoting VooDooB:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I know. My in-laws and everyone over the age of 60 in my family love Branson. We prefer the beach:)

Quoting Heisenberg:

Missouri is a popular vacation spot in the midwest. Branson has tons of tourism. We have a time share near Branson.

Quoting VooDooB:

Heisenberg
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I hate the beach. lol We're bike riding and hiking people though. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.: I know. My in-laws and everyone over the age of 60 in my family love Branson. We prefer the beach:)
Quoting Heisenberg:

Quoting VooDooB:

GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM

People take vacations in various places in the Midwest on purpose: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, and Illinois...probably Nebraska too.

Quoting VooDooB:

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM

makes sense.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM
It makes sense they are worried about how it will affect their money and it does
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Oshkosh, WI in late July!!

Quoting GLWerth:

People take vacations in various places in the Midwest on purpose: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, and Illinois...probably Nebraska too.

Quoting VooDooB:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)