Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

iphones and food stamps

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM
KK
  • 104 Replies

oops, someone hairflipped.  

Here is the post again.  Feel free to discuss and don't worry, I won't delete it.  

http://www.upworthy.com/whats-the-first-thing-that-comes-to-mind-when-you-see-a-welfare-recipient-on-a-cell-phone

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I would love to understand how anyone actually knows who is and who isn't on food stamps when they are shopping.  Aside from being told directly by the individual or being a checker at a store that accepts them, how would you know how someone pays for their groceries?  

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
This is a fucking LAME argument. Welfare is based on income, so if your are able to budget for a freaking iPhone, good on you. You can still be under the income limit for food stamps.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM
It really is. Our family is $4K a year away from qualifying for free lunch so obviously we dont make much money. I still manage to afford $950/month for private school. DS tuition is more than my mortage. I make choices about how I spend what little money I have, so do folks on foodstamps.

Quoting jessilin0113: This is a fucking LAME argument. Welfare is based on income, so if your are able to budget for a freaking iPhone, good on you. You can still be under the income limit for food stamps.
KRhyMama2013
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Whos to say that it was not a birthday or christmas gift, and they steal wifi from their neighbors??? People are so quick to judge.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Well played KK. Well played. ;)
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I get where you are going but stealing wifi from their neighbors doesn't make the case.  

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

Whos to say that it was not a birthday or christmas gift, and they steal wifi from their neighbors??? People are so quick to judge.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

you can actually read it this time as well ;) 

Quoting VooDooB: Well played KK. Well played. ;)

KRhyMama2013
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM
6 moms liked this

This is just like the people who say, oh they should have to give up their phones, computers, gaming systems, tvs, anything they can pawn they should have to.....  Umm hello!!  Did it ever occur to you that while that may get them by for a month or 2, they would just end up back on fs???  Why when a person falls on hard times should they have to give up all of their belongings because others are jealous.  And I truly believe that is what it boils down to, well they are getting help and its not fair.  Way to sound like a child.  People are not taught compassion for others anymore, we live in a hate filled world.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I get where you are going but stealing wifi from their neighbors doesn't make the case.  

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I have no problem with people having these things, I just don't believe that anyone is entitled to use services paid for by another person simply because they feel it's okay to "steal" it.  

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

This is just like the people who say, oh they should have to give up their phones, computers, gaming systems, tvs, anything they can pawn they should have to.....  Umm hello!!  Did it ever occur to you that while that may get them by for a month or 2, they would just end up back on fs???  Why when a person falls on hard times should they have to give up all of their belongings because others are jealous.  And I truly believe that is what it boils down to, well they are getting help and its not fair.  Way to sound like a child.  People are not taught compassion for others anymore, we live in a hate filled world.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

KRhyMama2013
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

It was just a scenario, they could go to McDonalds or the library to us the things just as well.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I have no problem with people having these things, I just don't believe that anyone is entitled to use services paid for by another person simply because they feel it's okay to "steal" it.  

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN