Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hillary Clinton: We can’t let gun-loving minority ‘terrorize’ the rest of the country

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 204 Replies

Hillary Clinton: We can’t let gun-loving minority ‘terrorize’ the rest of the country

By Arturo Garcia
Tuesday, June 17, 2014 19:33 EDT
Hillary Clinton 061714 [CNN]

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton delivered an apparent rebuke to conservative gun advocates during an appearance on CNN on Tuesday, saying she would support a ban on assault weapons.

“We cannot let a minority of people — and that’s what it is, a minority of people — hold a viewpoint that terrorizes the majority of people,” Clinton said in response to a question during a town hall forum. “You are about the fifth person in the past few weeks — parents, another teacher, interested citizens — who have said something similar to me.”

Clinton, the presumptive front-runner for the Democratic Party presidential nomination if she enters the 2016 campaign, also alluded to widespread national support for more comprehensive gun legislation shortly following the December 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut.

“Yes, we need to thrash this out in the political realm,” she said. “But the vast majority of Americans, even law-abiding gun owners, want background checks that work. Information that is shared immediately, and an awareness that we’re going to have to do a better job protecting the vast majority of our citizens, including our children, from that very very very small group.”

by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM
12 moms liked this

So people who believe in upholding their 2nd amendment rights are now terrorists?

Another reason why that plastic bag will never be president.

PamR
by Pam on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM
14 moms liked this

“Yes, we need to thrash this out in the political realm,” she said. “But the vast majority of Americans, even law-abiding gun owners, want background checks that work. Information that is shared immediately, and an awareness that we’re going to have to do a better job protecting the vast majority of our citizens, including our children, from that very very very small group.”

This is correct - no one wants to deny any law-abiding person who is responsiible from owning a gun.  But we do want to have better background checks to do whatever is possible to ensure that people who shouldn't have guns, don't get guns.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM
10 moms liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

So people who believe in upholding their 2nd amendment rights are now terrorists?

I'd like to know how many Americans who are upholding their 2nd Amendment Right to bear arms are mentally stable.  This whole 'Gun lover=good American shit is stupid. If  an American citizen is mentally unstable, they should not be allowed to have a gun of any kind no matter what the Constitution says. Those who are so afraid of guns being regulated that they are making asses out of themselves and acting like terrorists are the first ones who need to be evaluated.

Such a shame that Americans think without their precious guns they're nothing. They're willing to place rules, laws and regulations on every other Right in the Constitution but when it comes to guns, they refuse to budge and it's a serious sign of paranoia which we all know leads to more negativity: anger, hate and death.

crazyblondemom
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that sounds a bit racist to me. Then again anything that comes out of her mouth sounds ridculous to me. 

luv_lykehoney
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Well, sometimes background checks dont prove anything. I think a mental health evaluationin needs to be put in effect also. That would prove more, judging by the manifests created by some of the vicious people who use their assault weapons to commit school, movie theater, mall shootings, etc

Quoting PamR:

“Yes,
we need to thrash this out in the political realm,” she said. “But the
vast majority of Americans, even law-abiding gun owners, want background
checks that work.
Information that is shared immediately, and an
awareness that we’re going to have to do a better job protecting the
vast majority of our citizens, including our children, from that very
very very small group.”

This is correct - no one wants to deny any law-abiding person who is responsiible from owning a gun.  But we do want to have better background checks to do whatever is possible to ensure that people who shouldn't have guns, don't get guns.

chanizen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM
4 moms liked this
Actually, no.

People who believe that they should be able to do so without proper oversight are terrorists.

It should be entirely possible to share information across state lines. To check and ensure that those who sell guns do so legally and register them. It should be possible to know (not limit, but to know). How many guns a person has in their residence. Those guns should be registered and accounted for. Registration should be renewed and the gun owner responsible for doing so and guaranteeing that the gun is still in their possession and properly secured.

It should not be easier to own a gun than a car.

Quoting VooDooB:

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM
4 moms liked this
Quoting crazyblondemom:

Wow, that sounds a bit racist to me. Then again anything that comes out of her mouth sounds ridculous to me. 

Racist ?
dragonmommy8
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Meh the federal governement gave guns to the drug lords - ATF scandal. I do not like Hilary Clinton, esp. after the Benghazi attack. She will accept the money for her position in the governement but she will not accept the any fault and pawns it off on others if something goes wrong. Our federal government is starting to show its true colors/corruption. She is just drumming this up for the buzz it will giver her, she won't do anything about it.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting VooDooB:

A small minority of crazies are terrorizing the rest of the country. School shooting, mall shootings, base shootings. They are getting away with this because of delusional people and some sick preconceived notion of the perfect American patriot....
crazyblondemom
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Using the term minority. I didn't mean that she was racist. just that it could have been taken out of context. Then again she did kind of make it sound like Gun owners are their own breed, which could be taken as prejudice. 

Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting crazyblondemom:

Racist ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN