Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If the Redskins have to change their name, the Senate should rename the Russell Senate Office Building

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM
  • 97 Replies
1 mom liked this

Americans for Limited Government President Nathan Mehrens on June 18 in a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) urged the Senate to change the name of the Russell Senate Office Building.

The building was named after Georgian Democrat Senator Richard Russell, Jr. who Mehrens noted “filibustered civil rights legislation, actively supported segregation, and even co-authored the Southern Manifesto against the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling, Brown v. Board of Education.”

Mehrens was responding to a June 12 letter from Reid to Washington Redskins president Bruce Allen urging the team to change its name, and came as the U.S. Patent Office revoked the team’s trademarks in a ruling.

In his letter, Reid had stated, “during my time in the United States Senate, I have worked to right many of the injustices endured by Americans throughout the country” and to that end that he would “not stand idly by while a professional sports team promotes a racial slur as a team name and disparages the American people.”

Keeping the name Russell Office Building, Mehrens countered in his letter, after “an avowed racist, Democrat segregationist, stands as a symbol ‘of the injustices endured by Americans’ of African-American descent in the segregated South by racist Democrat administrations and legislatures.”

“What could be more disparaging to Americans of African-American descent?” Mehrens asked.

Mehrens proposed that the building be renamed the Hiram Rhodes Revels Senate Office Building. Revels was the first black senator elected after the Civil War, in 1870, and a Republican, for the state of Mississippi.

“Renaming the building after Revels, a suggestion first made by Washington, D.C.-based talk show host Chris Plante, could be the first of many recompenses Democrat leaders such as yourself might undertake, particularly considering the Party’s historic support of both slavery and segregation policies, to scrub the Capitol clean of its racist, Democrat history,” Mehrens explained.

“The Russell Senate Office Building remains a stain on the honorable institution that is the Senate. We urge you to consider renaming it with the same haste you have urged the Redskins to change their name,” the Mehrens letter to Reid concluded.

It should be noted that unlike the name of the Redskins football franchise, the name of the Senate’s office building is actually something the Senate has control over. How about it, Reid?

Robert Romano is the senior editor of Americans for Limited Government.

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this

The Atlanta Braves,  Kansas City Chiefs,Florida Seminoles should loose  their trademarks also by this line of thinking.

We should also rename Oklahoma since it means "land of the red people."

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Not FSU -

Florida State actually has an authoraization agreement with the Seminole Nation.

Quoting supermonstermom:

The Atlanta Braves,  Kansas City Chiefs,Florida Seminoles should loose  their trademarks also by this line of thinking.

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, but my husband is a quarter Seminole and offended.. We think they should change it. (eyeroll)

Seriously though, they do have an agreement, and do not find the name Florida Seminoles offensive at all.  My husband is a FSU grad. :)

Quoting Billiejeens:

Not FSU -

Florida State actually has an authoraization agreement with the Seminole Nation.

Quoting supermonstermom:

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

oh, Notre Dame should have to change too..  The Fighting Irish is also offensive..  Especially that little leprechaun with a beer mug. They are so stereotyping people of Irish heritage.  They should most definitely loose their trademark.

I am a bit tired of the goverment overstepping its boundries.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

In other, Ignorant people just don't get it news....

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting supermonstermom:

oh, Notre Dame should have to change too..  The Fighting Irish is also offensive..  Especially that little leprechaun with a beer mug. They are so stereotyping people off Irish heritage.  They should most definitely loose their trademark.

They haven't overstepped. Trademarking the racial/ethnic slur was against Federal law

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM

The Fighting Irish isn't a racial slur?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:
Quoting supermonstermom:

oh, Notre Dame should have to change too..  The Fighting Irish is also offensive..  Especially that little leprechaun with a beer mug. They are so stereotyping people off Irish heritage.  They should most definitely loose their trademark.

They haven't overstepped. Trademarking the racial/ethnic slur was against Federal law

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh Billie.......... sheesh.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I never knew about Richard Russell. Very interesting. I wonder how that slipped past the ACLU?

anonamama
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I'm with ya Billie. What are we looking at here...a new plaque on the wall, some new stationary, they'd have to change the website, etc. Hell if you don't mind your tax dollars being spent on that...then neither do I.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)