Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

GITMO detainees and Tahmooressi. Really, is there a difference?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 32 Replies

Before Barack Obama was elected president, he won over many civil libertarians and Bush Administration critics by promising to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, arguing that it was wrong and unnecessary to indefinitely lock people in cages without charges, trial, or hope of release. 

Source:  http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/05/on-gitmo-president-obama-isnt-fooling-the-press-anymore/275494/

Now, let's look at American Sgt Tahmooressi.
"Punched. Slapped. Cursed at. Deprived of water and food. Shackled to a bed with a "four-point restraint for almost a month." 

Source:  http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/us/mexico-us-marine-detained/

Obama had a conversation Thrusday with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto (where he promised to send him millions of dollars in hopes to keep their little illegal children from crossing our border - see thread here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/20042425/White_House_to_spend_millions_to_curb_undocumented_children_crossing_border

But The White House will not say whether the U.S. Marine imprisoned in Mexico was even mentioned. Either way, he's still there. Imprisioned. 

Based on Obama's beliefs about GITMO staying open: Is there a difference between GITMO prisoners and Tahmooressi? 

by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

One is a prison for war criminals. The other is a guy who broke the law. 

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM

And?

Quoting EireLass:

One is a prison for war criminals. The other is a guy who broke the law. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

There is indeed a difference.

The dude in the Mexican jail broke the laws of that country and will be have his day in court.  

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM

The Tahmooressi thing goes a lot further than people might realize. We had an international incident of gun trafficking into Mexico then one of our soldiers shows up with multiple guns. So, in many ways it does relate to the GITMO situation. Some of them are there because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time which relates still. The difference is this man has only been there a short while and prisoners in GITMO have been there for quite some time. There is also the possibility the administration will allow him to stay there to keep other operations from coming out.

We aren't sending the money to Mexico. Please read the post you linked. The children crossing are from Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. That is not Mexico.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM

My bad - I mistakenly used Mexico in the general sense. Yes, they are from all those countries as well. We are sending money to them, and Mexico as well. It was just on my local news and I posted the breakdown in the other thread. 

As far as the subect of this thread, I find Obama's reason to close GITMO hypocritical when basically this Marine is in a place that's comparable, and he's not even speaking out on the subject. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Quoting stormcris:

The Tahmooressi thing goes a lot further than people might realize. We had an international incident of gun trafficking into Mexico then one of our soldiers shows up with multiple guns. So, in many ways it does relate to the GITMO situation. Some of them are there because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time which relates still. The difference is this man has only been there a short while and prisoners in GITMO have been there for quite some time. There is also the possibility the administration will allow him to stay there to keep other operations from coming out.

We aren't sending the money to Mexico. Please read the post you linked. The children crossing are from Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. That is not Mexico.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Obama cannot close GITMO and he well knows it. It was pretty words in result to outrage over the findings. Besides we have many more of these such facilities all over the world. What is closing one really going to do. But, that isn't why we have GITMO anyway and it has to stay open. Think about where GITMO is located.

Quoting VooDooB:

My bad - I mistakenly used Mexico in the general sense. Yes, they are from all those countries as well. We are sending money to them, and Mexico as well. It was just on my local news and I posted the breakdown in the other thread. 

As far as the subect of this thread, I find Obama's reason to close GITMO hypocritical when basically this Marine is in a place that's comparable, and he's not even speaking out on the subject. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Quoting stormcris:

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I know that Storm.

That's not what this is about. 

Quoting stormcris:

Obama cannot close GITMO and he well knows it. It was pretty words in result to outrage over the findings. Besides we have many more of these such facilities all over the world. What is closing one really going to do. But, that isn't why we have GITMO anyway and it has to stay open. Think about where GITMO is located.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting stormcris:

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

As I have said in the past pay attention to what is not being spoken about. You should be questioning it but you might be throwing people off by referencing GITMO in such a manner. There is definately a reason he isn't saying anything about this but it has nothing to do with children crossing or his lack of interest. There is something more at stake that he doesn't want to draw attention to this marine. Perhaps the better question is: What are we doing in mexico that mentioning this might draw attention toward?

Quoting VooDooB:

I know that Storm.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting stormcris:

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I will take your words under consideration. :)

Quoting stormcris:

As I have said in the past pay attention to what is not being spoken about. You should be questioning it but you might be throwing people off by referencing GITMO in such a manner. There is definately a reason he isn't saying anything about this but it has nothing to do with children crossing or his lack of interest. There is something more at stake that he doesn't want to draw attention to this marine. Perhaps the better question is: What are we doing in mexico that mentioning this might draw attention toward?

Quoting VooDooB:

I know that Storm.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting stormcris:

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Two different countries. One has a rule of "innocent until proven guilty." The other's rule is "guilty until proven innocent."

The US is violating its own constitutional rules with Gitmo. Mexico would be violating ITS constitutional rules if it released Tahmooressi.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN