Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Aren't they supposed to be racist????

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM
  • 98 Replies
1 mom liked this

In this Jan. 23, 2013, file photo, Oklahoma House Speaker T.W. Shannon, R-Lawton speaks at a legislative forum hosted by the Associated Press in Oklahoma City. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki, File)

Palin, Cruz embrace black Republican Senate candidate in Oklahoma

In this Jan. 23, 2013, file photo, Oklahoma House Speaker T.W. Shannon, R-Lawton speaks at a legislative forum hosted by the Associated Press in Oklahoma City. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki, File)

A trio of influential leaders of the conservative wing of the Republican Party, Sarah Palin and U.S. Senators Ted Cruz (Texas) and Mike Lee (Utah), are making an unusual joint appearance in Tulsa on Thursday to support T.W. Shannon, the former speaker of the Oklahoma House of Representatives, who is now seeking a U.S. Senate seat.

Shannon, who identifies himself as both African-American and Native-American, is running in a June 24 primary to replace retiring Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn, who is also a Republican. Shannon’s main opponent is U.S. Rep. James Lankford, a member of the House Republican leadership. The race has turned into something of a proxy in the broader debate between the establishment and Tea Party wings of the GOP, with Cruz and Palin and other key anti-establishment figures backing Shannon.

The winner of the primary will be a heavy favorite to be elected in November in Oklahoma, one of the most conservative states in the country.

If Shannon wins, he will join Tim Scott of South Carolina, currently the only black Republican in the Senate. And the GOP’s new push to diversify its ranks in part explains why Cruz, Palin and Lee, the kind of heavyweights in the GOP who would normally be the sole headline guest at an event, are joining together to boost Shannon.

Like Cruz and Palin, Shannon is also very conservative, advocating total repeal of Obamacare, for example.

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM
3 moms liked this

I wonder if he is the same one I listened to last nigh for about a half hour interview. I don't always pay attention to names. Who I listen to said he started out at 18 with $5,000.00 winning Lottery ticket and invested that into opening a small deli which did very well and he sold it later to pay for his education. He said the first position he applied for as an interim he was denied and is now elected by the people.

I was very impressed with him and really enjoyed that interview. He said he gets big bulks of hate mail a week from Democrates usually always African American accusing him of being a "Uncle Tom" which is a term originally made popular by it's use of the anti white hate organization Nation Of Islam. Uncle Tom is what they refer to what they consider a self hating black because they look, talk, or live a life style that is consider "too white". That in it's self shows who the real racist are.

jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:59 PM
23 moms liked this
Your post title gives the impression that it's more about the political equivalent of "hey look I have a black friend so I can't be racist". If you really gave a fuck about this guy or his stance, a much better title would be one that gave actual information on the guy something like "T W Shannon to run in Senate primary". But you seem to be more concerned about pointing out a black republican instead of pointing out any actual information on the candidate. That is certainly dismissive and derogatory towards the candidate.

*edited for clarity
jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:09 PM
13 moms liked this
The "article" goes on and on about Shannon's race and that white people are supporting the black candidate. It really doesn't give any useful information about the candidate. More "look we got a black person, so we're not racist". If I were this guy, I would not be happy about being used like this.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM

According to whom?

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM
6 moms liked this
Quite.

I was just thinking...if they need to write an article about Palin & Cruz "embracing" a black candidate, well...

Quoting jllcali: The "article" goes on and on about Shannon's race and that white people are supporting the black candidate. It really doesn't give any useful information about the candidate. More "look we got a black person, so we're not racist". If I were this guy, I would not be happy about being used like this.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM
8 moms liked this
Just because they met a black guy they liked doesnt mean they arent racist.
jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM
5 moms liked this
"See! We're not racist!!" FAIL

Quoting ..MoonShine..: Quite.

I was just thinking...if they need to write an article about Palin & Cruz "embracing" a black candidate, well...

Quoting jllcali: The "article" goes on and on about Shannon's race and that white people are supporting the black candidate. It really doesn't give any useful information about the candidate. More "look we got a black person, so we're not racist". If I were this guy, I would not be happy about being used like this.
PerseyG
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Banjo!!

...that's literally all I have to offer to this conversation.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM
5 moms liked this
Right
They supported Herman Cain for awhile too so they could pretend they weren't racist

Quoting UpSheRises: Just because they met a black guy they liked doesnt mean they arent racist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iconoclast
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:37 PM
9 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Quoting UpSheRises: Just because they met a black guy they liked doesnt mean they arent racist.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)