Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandmother Fish: A Book to Teach Evolution to Preschoolers

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
  • 169 Replies
2 moms liked this

Jonathan Tweet, a game designer who’s worked on such projects as Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering is now working on a children’s book designed to teach basic concepts of evolution to pre-schoolers.

It’s called Grandmother Fish:

Grandmother Fish is the first book to teach evolution to preschoolers. While listening to the story, the child mimics the motions and sounds of our ancestors, such as wiggling like a fish or hooting like an ape. Like magic, evolution becomes fun, accessible, and personal. Grandmother Fish will be a full-size (10 x 8), full-color, 32-page, hardback book full of appealing animal illustrations, perfect for your bookshelf. US publishers consider evolution to be too “hot” a topic for children, but with your help we can make this book happen ourself.

If you go to his Kickstarter page, you can already see a rough draft of the book. Chip in if you’d like to see it become a reality!

http://www.patheos.com/...

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:04 AM

http://grandmotherfish.com/grandmotherfish.pdf

The style reminds me of Grandmother Spider from the Hopi legends about Coyote, of Grandmother Night from various other mythos.

I don't think it is a book that I, personally, would choose to read my children.   Unless, perhaps, I guess, if they were receiving a lot of inaccurate information from another source, and I needed to counter it.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds interesting.  Perhaps the author will consider making it gender neutral so it can be taught in public schools.  

VooDooB
by Haiku on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. I always appreciate book recommendations, whether I end up reading or not.

I had this book when I was a tween. I loved it. It covered evolution as well in a very funny way. All comic-strip drawings, and some of the cavewomen had bare boobies which never failed to astound and delight me.

I highly recommend it to older children.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-History-Universe-Volumes-1-7/dp/0385265204/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G721NEQFMF7FXZAQ9AT

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Not at all interested

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. I always appreciate book recommendations, whether I end up reading or not.

I had this book when I was a tween. I loved it. It covered evolution as well in a very funny way. All comic-strip drawings, and some of the cavewomen had bare boobies which never failed to astound and delight me.

I highly recommend it to older children.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-History-Universe-Volumes-1-7/dp/0385265204/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G721NEQFMF7FXZAQ9AT

Thanks for the info...my dd13 would probably really enjoy this. Gonna go look for it :)

EDITED TO ADD: Yay! Our county library has all 3 volumes! Placed a hold on them.

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM
7 moms liked this

What?!  NO!!  This is just another thinly veiled attempt by Science to indoctrinate our children, and make them mindless sheeple, who don't question the world around them!!! .~wink mini

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SLTmom:

What?!  NO!!  This is just another thinly veiled attempt by Science to indoctrinate our children, and make them mindless sheeple, who don't question the world around them!!! .~wink mini

Lol...wink mini

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Heeheehee

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting SLTmom:

Lol...wink mini

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Pre school?? Really?  this is typical. 

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Pre school?? Really?  this is typical. 

How so? of what?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN