Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Grandmother Fish: A Book to Teach Evolution to Preschoolers

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
  • 169 Replies
2 moms liked this

Jonathan Tweet, a game designer who’s worked on such projects as Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering is now working on a children’s book designed to teach basic concepts of evolution to pre-schoolers.

It’s called Grandmother Fish:

Grandmother Fish is the first book to teach evolution to preschoolers. While listening to the story, the child mimics the motions and sounds of our ancestors, such as wiggling like a fish or hooting like an ape. Like magic, evolution becomes fun, accessible, and personal. Grandmother Fish will be a full-size (10 x 8), full-color, 32-page, hardback book full of appealing animal illustrations, perfect for your bookshelf. US publishers consider evolution to be too “hot” a topic for children, but with your help we can make this book happen ourself.

If you go to his Kickstarter page, you can already see a rough draft of the book. Chip in if you’d like to see it become a reality!

http://www.patheos.com/...

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:04 AM

http://grandmotherfish.com/grandmotherfish.pdf

The style reminds me of Grandmother Spider from the Hopi legends about Coyote, of Grandmother Night from various other mythos.

I don't think it is a book that I, personally, would choose to read my children.   Unless, perhaps, I guess, if they were receiving a lot of inaccurate information from another source, and I needed to counter it.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds interesting.  Perhaps the author will consider making it gender neutral so it can be taught in public schools.  

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. I always appreciate book recommendations, whether I end up reading or not.

I had this book when I was a tween. I loved it. It covered evolution as well in a very funny way. All comic-strip drawings, and some of the cavewomen had bare boobies which never failed to astound and delight me.

I highly recommend it to older children.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-History-Universe-Volumes-1-7/dp/0385265204/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G721NEQFMF7FXZAQ9AT

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Not at all interested

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. I always appreciate book recommendations, whether I end up reading or not.

I had this book when I was a tween. I loved it. It covered evolution as well in a very funny way. All comic-strip drawings, and some of the cavewomen had bare boobies which never failed to astound and delight me.

I highly recommend it to older children.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-History-Universe-Volumes-1-7/dp/0385265204/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G721NEQFMF7FXZAQ9AT

Thanks for the info...my dd13 would probably really enjoy this. Gonna go look for it :)

EDITED TO ADD: Yay! Our county library has all 3 volumes! Placed a hold on them.

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM
7 moms liked this

What?!  NO!!  This is just another thinly veiled attempt by Science to indoctrinate our children, and make them mindless sheeple, who don't question the world around them!!! .~wink mini

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SLTmom:

What?!  NO!!  This is just another thinly veiled attempt by Science to indoctrinate our children, and make them mindless sheeple, who don't question the world around them!!! .~wink mini

Lol...wink mini

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Heeheehee

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting SLTmom:

Lol...wink mini

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Pre school?? Really?  this is typical. 

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Pre school?? Really?  this is typical. 

How so? of what?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)