Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

O'Reilly: Were the Conservative Radio Talk Show Hosts Correct?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM
  • 20 Replies

BILL O'REILLY, 'O'REILLY FACTOR' HOST: We'll begin with this question: were the conservative radio talk show hosts correct about President Obama from the beginning? That is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points Memo"?

As you may know, there's bitter divide in America between committed liberals and staunch conservatives. The debate often gets nasty, personal and even defamatory. The left basically wants a different America, a progressive place where the federal government calls the shot.

The right wants to maintain tradition and believes that smaller government is best.

Enter, perhaps, the most liberal president in history, Barack Obama. From the beginning of his campaign in 2007, he has been severely criticized on conservative talk radio.

No surprise there. The president stands for things the right wing loathes.

Criticism is directed at the president are both personal and professional. The personal stuff doesn't amount to much. He is not a Muslim. He was not born in Kenya. He has never done anything nefarious -- word of the day.

But the professional criticisms are turning out to be somewhat valid. A new CBS News/"New York Times" poll usually very generous to the president shows his administration has collapsed in the court of public opinion. Independents have joined conservatives in believing the president is not doing a good job.

The basic problem is competency. And you may remember that the radio guys pointed out that Barack Obama had little experience running anything. That he was basically a community organizer and theoretician. Well, if you examine the facts, without emotion, that seems to be accurate.

Mr. Obama's management skill and problem-solving ability are dubious. Let me back it up with a vivid example. President Obama was quite clear, quite clear, that if elected president, he would reform the Veterans Affairs Department.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BARACK OBAMA, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: The true test of our patriotism is whether we will serve our returning heroes as well as they've served us. That's why I pledged to build a 21st century V.A. as president. That means no more red tape.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

O'REILLY: So, what happened to that pledge? Well, the V.A. is now a scandal. There are allegations that more than 1,000 American vets have actually died because they could not access proper care. The V.A. admits that more than 120,000 vets waited far too long for doctors so see them. In addition, the Feds have paid out $845 million to settle V.A. malpractice suits.

Senator Coburn of Oklahoma, a physician himself, has identified $25 billion wasted by the V.A. Despite that, $100 million given to V.A. administrators in bonus money in 2010 alone, a shocking abuse of taxpayer money.

And while all that was happening, President Obama did nothing, absolutely nothing. Add that the border, Iraq, Putin, the IRS, and you have an administration that's basically missing in action.

In fact, for you history buffs, what's happening right now is almost identical to President U.S. Grant's second term. It all fell apart for the old general because did he not pay attention.

So, to be fair, it looks like the conservative radio talk show hosts were correct in their assessment of Barack Obama's ability to run the country. Or am I wrong? And that's "The Memo."

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Yeah I can get behind that. There were a lot of "warnings" about Obama from the beginning. Didn't stop me from voting from him in 2008. Like millions of others, I was blinded by the promises of hope and change, and I felt the last 8 years under the Republican Party was enough. Took me just about 2 years to realize I was wrong and they were right.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Carpy:

So, to be fair, it looks like the conservative radio talk show hosts were correct in their assessment of Barack Obama's ability to run the country. Or am I wrong? And that's "The Memo."

When you compare how America has come out of the financial crisis, to how other OECD countries have done, he's actually done better on the economy than most of his peers.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I don't know. He's certainly not a great president and has made a lot of mistakes but I think people misunderstand how much power he actually has (not much). And I think it's hard to deny that he faces a lot of opposition. Some off it ideological, yes, but honestly, republicans have been caught saying feeding him is their number one goal. He'll go down as mediocre and ineffectual.
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Seriously O'Reilly didn't realize Obama had no experience?  The only job I can recall Obama having held was working at Baskin Robins.  

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM

The mess created was there long before Obama came into office.  Not an excuse, but an explanation.  People have been having issue with the VA for a very long time. 

I think he's a warmonger and I do not believe that he is working for all Americans; I do not feel his presence or sense his leadership.  

I think he has been a pretty crappy president but I feel a vast improvement over Bush.   I know that's not much to go on, but it's better than being afraid all the time

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this

For somebody who has gone over the heads of congress to make his own decisions with his pen and phone, changed laws, and broken laws, ........... he sure does seem to have more than "not much" power to me.

Quoting jessilin0113: I don't know. He's certainly not a great president and has made a lot of mistakes but I think people misunderstand how much power he actually has (not much). And I think it's hard to deny that he faces a lot of opposition. Some off it ideological, yes, but honestly, republicans have been caught saying feeding him is their number one goal. He'll go down as mediocre and ineffectual.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jessilin0113: I don't know. He's certainly not a great president and has made a lot of mistakes but I think people misunderstand how much power he actually has (not much). And I think it's hard to deny that he faces a lot of opposition. Some off it ideological, yes, but honestly, republicans have been caught saying feeding him is their number one goal. He'll go down as mediocre and ineffectual.

LOL,don't forget he has a pen and a phone.  And are you serious with the he faces a lot of opposition?  It should be expected for republicans to criticize Obama, it's another thing when an overwhelming majority of the media make it their number one goal to defend him, as has been caught on tape as well.  

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Many presidents have done that. Obama is not unique or special in his attempted power grab. There is precedent. And executive orders don't change or create laws, they enhance existing ones. Made by congress.

Quoting VooDooB:

For somebody who has gone over the heads of congress to make his own decisions with his pen and phone, changed laws, and broken laws, ........... he sure does seem to have more than "not much" power to me.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM
He does face a lot of opposition. I admitted a lot of it is ideological, I would expect it from the opposing party. But some of it is opposition for the sake of opposition. I have nothing invested in Obama but realize you will see this as partisan defense, but I can't help that.

Too bad with all Obama's faults the republicans couldn't field anybody better.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL,don't forget he has a pen and a phone.  And are you serious with the he faces a lot of opposition?  It should be expected for republicans to criticize Obama, it's another thing when an overwhelming majority of the media make it their number one goal to defend him, as has been caught on tape as well.  

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

Yeah I can get behind that. There were a lot of "warnings" about Obama from the beginning. Didn't stop me from voting from him in 2008. Like millions of others, I was blinded by the promises of hope and change, and I felt the last 8 years under the Republican Party was enough. Took me just about 2 years to realize I was wrong and they were right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN