Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FBI operation rescues 168 children from sex trafficking, puts nearly 300 pimps behind bars

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

FBI operation rescues 168 children from sex trafficking, puts nearly 300 pimps behind bars

video

http://fox4kc.com/2014/06/23/fbi-operation-rescues-168-children-from-sex-trafficking-puts-nearly-300-pimps-behind-bars/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A crackdown on child sex trafficking hits close to home. The FBI in Kansas City revealed the results of an investigation Monday, noting that nationwide 50 percent more kids were rescued this year than last.

But authorities say the work to end trafficking is far from over. Often times people think of sex trafficking as a foreign issue, but those in the know say it happens in your own backyard more than you think.

One of the girls picked up in this sweep was picked up right here in Kansas City. Nationally, hundreds of law enforcement agencies participated, resulting in 168 children being recovered and nearly 300 pimps getting arrested.

Another victim was also picked up in Wichita and seven pimps from the region were arrested. The Justice Project assisted with the operation and received the rescued girls.

"We've got folks here that have been where you have been. We know what it's like to suffer from all of these things," said Justice Project executive director Kris Wade.

"A lot of these children come from areas where they're just not secure about their surroundings. They feel like theyr'e not belonging to something," said FBI special agent in charge Michael Kaste.

Authorities don't how many more kids could be in peril. That's why the community is asked to be vigilant. To know what to look out for, click on these links:

FBI on human trafficking

Hiding in Plain Sight

The Justice Project KC

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:56 AM

One of the other things our neighborhood questions on the people down the road.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Good!
I am glad they rescued kids.
I hope pimps get very long jail sentences
What will happen to rescued children? Do they go back to their parents? Foster care?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM
You know some people will be bitching about more people on welfare because of these "rescues" and how at least these kids were working before. Sounds unbelievable but someone in here will surely at least think it.

Quoting annabl1970: Good!
What will happen to rescued children? Do they go back to their parents? Foster care?
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I am glad the kids are ok.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM
:(

Quoting LauraKW: You know some people will be bitching about more people on welfare because of these "rescues" and how at least these kids were working before. Sounds unbelievable but someone in here will surely at least think it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope these kids get some help with education, psychological therapy, overcome horrible experience and learn to build good future for themselves. I wouldn't mind government spend money to help these children

Quoting LauraKW: You know some people will be bitching about more people on welfare because of these "rescues" and how at least these kids were working before. Sounds unbelievable but someone in here will surely at least think it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Absolutely, regardless if where the kids may be from.

Quoting annabl1970: I hope these kids get some help with education, psychological therapy, overcome horrible experience and learn to build good future for themselves. I wouldn't mind government spend money to help these children

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

This is a HUGE problem in Atlanta as well.  I would rather see the police and other law enforcement have a war on sex trafficking instead of a war on drugs.   The war on drugs can't be won, but maybe if we focus on kids, a real big impact could be made.    I wish those pimps and johns would go to jail forever, but I fear they will get a light sentence and be out in a few years.   A few years for destroying a child's innocence.  Sigh...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)