After the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn., most of the nation united and mourned the loss of 26 students and teachers. But one man apparently thought it would be funny or exciting or -- who knows what he was thinking? -- when he decided to call up families living in Newtown and pretend he was shooter Adam Lanza.

Cardenas Hoffman, who is from Venezuela, was arrested in Miami for allegedly calling Newtown residents two days after the massacre, claiming he was Lanza, and threatening to kill them.

Hoffman, 30, reportedly phoned "dozens" of people and said something similar to this, which is reportedly what he actually told at least one resident:

This is Adam Lanza. I'm gonna [expletive] kill you. You're dead. You're dead. You hear me? You're dead.

One person says he called and threatened to kill everyone with his "machine gun," referencing the weapon Lanza used Dec. 14, 2012.

Hoffman was charged with transmitting threats in interstate or foreign commerce to injure the person of another. If convicted, he faces five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

First of all, what kind of human being would do something like this? That's the question that's probably burning in most of us. You have to wonder if someone like this is capable himself of a crime, or whether he just found it thrilling to pull a prank on people while they were suffering.

My guess is that he became obsessed with Lanza -- fascinated by him. Unfortunately, we've read too many stories lately about people (usually younger than Hoffman) who actually look up to these shooters and idolize them. It's incredibly bizarre, but not beyond comprehension, considering how much attention killers like Lanza or Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris receive in the press.

Whatever the reason, it's comforting to know Hoffman was caught and will have to face the consequences of his actions.

Why do you think Hoffman would call Newtown residents and pretend he was Adam Lanza?

Image via Claudia Heidelberger/Flickr