Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My Son in law was crushed at work yesterday

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM
  • 54 Replies

There is spinal damage (bone not cord) and they are talking longterm rehab.  He is not my favorite person but I am so worried about him.

The big thing on my mind is his boss seems to be trying to make it his fault and told my dd "he shouldnt have been doing that alone".  He ALWAYS does, its his job.  He is a concrete guy and was moving a form panel when the whole stack fell on him.  

Could his boss make this all his fault and get out of workmans comp?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I don't know, was it in writing that he couldn't do that alone?

Was it done routinely alone by your SIL and others?

So sorry for them...

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM
No idea bump

Also, title says "SIL" but you keep using "he"... Did you mean BIL?
terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh!!! Son in law!! Duh! Sorry!!
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh dear. I hope he's able to recover quickly, what a horrible thing to have happen. As for his boss, I don't know if he could make it your SIL's fault but I'm sure he'll try. Maybe get a copy of the job description. If it says he must be able to move those panels but does NOT say he should have assistance doing so, that information may be of help since it would tend to show he was expected to move them on his own.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG!  That's horrible.  I don't see how his company could get out of workman's comp unless your son in law was extremely negligent or working under the influence or something. 

I hope he makes a full recovery!

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM

No , nothing in writing, yes it was laways done by SIL mainly but also by others.  I know.  He has always done dangerous hard work:(  He worked in concrete initially out of highschool then worked at a foundry for many yrs now back to concrete.  He is the breadwinner:(  This is so bad:(

Nobody even notified dd till hours afterward, he is in a hospital 50 miles away.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I don't know, was it in writing that he couldn't do that alone?

Was it done routinely alone by your SIL and others?

So sorry for them...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Doubtful. Your SIL needs to speak with an attorney. Like right now. Or as soon as he is able.

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I know you already got it lol.  they arent actually married but have been together for 7 yrs I think.  DDS'SO is awkward lol.  He iis always gonna be tied to us so Son in law feels right lol

Quoting terpmama: No idea bump Also, title says "SIL" but you keep using "he"... Did you mean BIL?

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow im sorry this happened to him and the family. I agree that he should consult with a lawyer.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this

He needs to hire a workers comp lawyer. They will pay med costs, but when 'settlement' comes, it comes down to determining how much was his fault, how much was company/equipment/god fault.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)