Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People Hate Happy Couples on Facebook

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM
  • 47 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you overshare on social media?

Options:

I've been told I do

There is no such thing as oversharing - my life is an open book and I want everyone to know everything I do

No - I don't share any facts about myself on social media

No - I only share the bare minimum on social media sites

Other (of course)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

Study: People Hate Happy Couples on Facebook

On Facebook, the divide between happy couples and everyone else is more complicated than you may have thought.

People who post often about their fulfilling, committed relationships are the least liked on Facebook, according to a survey conducted for a new book titled The Science of Relationships.

In the study, researchers created fake Facebook profiles that included profile pictures with partners, public "in a relationship" statuses, and posts with varying levels of detail about how much they loved or lusted after their significant others. Other profiles offered no sign of a relationship at all.

Then 100 participants were asked to judge the fictional Facebook profiles - first on how committed the people seemed to be to their significant others and second how much they liked the people depicted in the profiles. Though participants overwhelmingly agreed that those who were very vocal about their relationships on Facebook were likely satisfied and committed, it was that same group of people - the relationship oversharers - who were the least liked.

As one of the authors of the study, Haverford College social psychologist Dr. Benjamin Le, put it: "When it comes to relationship disclosure on Facebook, there can be too much of a good thing."

So, next time you feel the need to congratulate yourself on a 15-year anniversary, or post a relfie (yes, that's short for "relationship selfie"; I know), consider the consequences. You may be unconditionally loved by your partner, but the digital masses might not share those tender feelings.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/study-people-hate-happy-couples-on-facebook-89770108284.html

My DH likes to share on FB as far as our relationship - if i post something like a picture of us or something kind of sappy, he generally responds even sappier.  He's very expressive of his feelings.  Me? Not so much.  Especially not on FB.  Then I see couples who I KNOW aren't happy doing the same thing my DH does so I tend to be skeptical of those who are always professing the joys of their relationship.

But when it comes to this article all I can think is: I don't care what anyone thinks about what I share on FB.  If they don't like it/me - they can simply "unfriend" me and I'll be just fine. :)

What are your thought on the article and/or oversharing on social media sites?

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I rarely post pics of myself and dh. I will post on valentines day, fathers day, birthday and our anniversary. The people I know that constantly post about their awesome love relationships are cheating/being cheated on and always fighting...

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I dunno. FB exists for me to connect with family and friends who don't live nearby. My daughter has a nan overseas. I am certain that some would say I overshare my kid. I share some things about my relationship. Not much.

I don't really care. Like you said Punky. They can unfriend me. No big deal.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM

My husband has forbid me from posting pictures of him or talking about him on facebook and i respect that. I go on my FB about once a month and i never post anything really.

I am shocked by the stuff people share on FB. I have two general reactions, wtf is wrong with you and why would people be interested in knowing that about you.

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I'm not on FB.  Privacy is an undervalued concept these days.

rfhsure
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM
This

Quoting SLTmom:

I'm not on FB.  Privacy is an undervalued concept these days.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm right down the middle.  I try to share as much "funny" as possible and keep the drama off of it.  

I like happy couples on FB.  I dread a few of my acquaintances' posts because they are always extremely negative or passive aggressive.   I just limit the type of things I see from these folks.  

Layllla
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM
I like happy couples on facebook. I don't like the fake happy couples ...the ones who break up every other month and pretend to have a perfect relationship still ...annoying!@
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I voted other.

I do not overshare, but I don't refrain from posting pics of myself and DH on FB or saying something nice about him altogether.  I don't do it ALL THE TIME though, either. 

While I do share more about my life on FB than other sites, I do so because I use FB to stay connected to friends and family. 

I like seeing happy couples on Facebook.  It's much better than those who are always complaining about one thing or another.  Those are the ones I unfriend, or "hide" when I know unfriending would cause family drama, so I don't see their posts unless I want to. 

RJC78
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM

My relationship is great, but I don't post a lot about it on FB.  In fact, I don't post much at all.  Not everyone out there needs to know details of my life.  I believe that the more info you put out there, the more ammo someone can gather against you.  Some people are crazy and I try not to invite anyone into my personal business that it doesn't affect.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I never talk about my relationship on facebook.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)