• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Justina Pelletier says 'no one should go through' her ordeal.

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

Quote:

Justina Pelletier says 'no one should go through' her ordeal

Justina Pelletier, the 16-year-old Connecticut girl taken from her parents more than a year ago after two hospitals clashed over her diagnosis, told Fox News’ Mike Huckabee in an emotional interview Saturday that no child should go through the ordeal she went through at the hands of the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families.

“I'm like, ‘Yeah, this should never happen again to anybody.’ To any kid or any person. They should never be put through what I've been put through, Pelletier said on ‘Huckabee’ Saturday evening.  “And they were so mean and nasty to mean and they were being mean and terrible to my family also. And no-one should be put through that.”

In her first interview since she was allowed back into the custody of her parents Linda and Lou, Justina told Fox News' Mike Huckabee about how she wasn’t allowed to see her family except for one hour of supervised visitation a week and was only allowed to call them once a week for twenty minutes.

“It was really hard because we couldn't talk about things that we really wanted to talk to about,” Pelletier said. “No-one was on my side there. No one believed me there. Everyone told me I was faking.”

In a controversial move, Pelletier was placed in the custody of the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families more than a year ago, after two reputable Boston hospitals sparred in their diagnosis of the girl.

When the girl's parents disagreed with a psychiatric diagnosis given by Boston Children's Hospital, the couple said they wanted their daughter returned to her original physician at Tufts Medical Center, who had previously treated Justina for mitochondrial disease, a group of rare genetic disorders affecting cellular energy production.

“This was all a mad psychiatric experiment,” Lou Pelletier told Huckabee.

The Pelletiers, of West Hartford, Conn., were then accused of "medical child abuse," which led to Massachusetts officials taking full custody of the girl.

The legal battle that ensued made the case one of the most controversial custody battles in state history until a judge granted the girl's wish after state officials filed a motion agreeing that the teenager should be returned to her family.

However, despite her ordeal, Justina said she is focusing on getting her life back to normal.

“I'm really excited for everything to go back to normal. And it's a long road ahead, but it will definitely get there.”

I so hope this young lady find that normalcy she needs and longs for.

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

May God bless her family for being brave enough to fight for her and make it public so others know this is happening. May her story help prevent it from happening to others. Praying that she heals and that this makes her and her faith stronger.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM
3 moms liked this

the types of things these parents were accused of simply for wanting her to be treated by her doctor was disgusting.  It's amazing the level of benefit of doubt afforded to these individuals.  First the very inexperienced emergency room doctor and then the psychiatrist who is working under a grant studying the condition they diagnosed her with having.  Neither of these two consulted her treating physicians or her history.    

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Gah...now, they're subjecting her to the media limelight. That pressure ought to be just great for her.
MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Perhaps this young lady wants to tell her story. God knows she was gagged for over a year, kept from her parents and treated like a liar a d a fake by the state, doctors and courts. I hope this family takes legal action and leaves this hospital and doctors career in tatters.

Quoting Jack_Squat: Gah...now, they're subjecting her to the media limelight. That pressure ought to be just great for her.
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I truly couldn't believe this story when I read about it.  I am so happy to hear she is finally back with her family, where she undoubtedly belongs.  

I want to know if the state will ever truly answer for how this happened.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM

now that they can sue the state and the hospital I think they will at least be held financially responsible for their crime.  

Quoting anxiousschk:

I truly couldn't believe this story when I read about it.  I am so happy to hear she is finally back with her family, where she undoubtedly belongs.  

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Better than nothing, but not nearly enough.  

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

now that they can sue the state and the hospital I think they will at least be held financially responsible for their crime.  

Quoting anxiousschk:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

there is a bipartisan bill being presented that would make what they did to her illegal, by giving wards of the state a voice in what medical treatment is done on them.  

Quoting anxiousschk:

Better than nothing, but not nearly enough.  

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Quoting anxiousschk:

.veni.vidi.vici
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure that her family will be able to move on. It's sad that this will always be apart of her past. I hope her health Improves and she's can just be a normal teen.
MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
They'll lie, blame the parents and end up paying millions to this family -- a settlement of course; and with a gag order prohibiting the specific information made public.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)