Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are Religious Beliefs So Harmful That They Should Be Actively Discouraged?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:52 PM
  • 233 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've heard variations of this argument many times, but I've always been a live and let live kind of person. In light of several recent news items, I find myself open to reconsidering my position.

What say you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM
12 moms liked this

I have changed my view like yourself.....I was a "whatever turns you on" kind of person.  Now Im leaning more to more to the ...if your religion seeks to physically harm or oppress another human being it should be run off the planet.

.veni.vidi.vici
by 3v on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:10 AM
4 moms liked this

As long as the people practicing their views aren't also hindering other people's rights I can't be bothered to care. I judge, silently. But I say nothing.

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
They aren't harmful when applied to the person believibg it. It becomes useless when it is mandated and applied to others who don't hold that belief.
BGarcel
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with the first 3 comments.Practicing any religion is voluntary. But forcing it onto others is evil.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Thank you. :-)

Quoting turtle68:

I have changed my view like yourself.....I was a "whatever turns you on" kind of person.  Now Im leaning more to more to the ...if your religion seeks to physically harm or oppress another human being it should be run off the planet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes. My concern is the trend that people are wanting and expecting their religious beliefs to inform public and education policy.

Quoting .veni.vidi.vici:

As long as the people practicing their views aren't also hindering other people's rights I can't be bothered to care. I judge, silently. But I say nothing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Yes. Thank you for your contribution. :-)

Quoting latashac: They aren't harmful when applied to the person believibg it. It becomes useless when it is mandated and applied to others who don't hold that belief.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heybooboo
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:47 AM
7 moms liked this

Here is my take.

My personal beliefs are mine and mine alone, if someone has similar beliefs, then awesome more power to them.  If they don't, then awesome more power to them. 

Not once have I ever been approached by an Agnostic or Athiest, ANYWHERE.  These two values of belief (or the lack there of), pretty much stick to billboards and themselves.  Not once has an Athiest or Agnostic knocked on my door, or approached me in a grocery store, or put me in a tight spot elsewhere..

Nor have Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. 

Here's where my beef is.....

Christians, at least 6 to 12 times a year, I have someone knocking on my door......  I have been approached in grocery stores.  I have been put on the spot at Birthday Parties, PTA Meetings, and at the Drs office.  I have had pest control/contractors/reparimen tell me I should use only them,because they are Christians...  

EVEN if I might agree with something that is shared with me "it still must be part of their mission".  I can't just say "Oh, I agree" or "Oh, I am already a member of a church".   It must be discussed.  Or I need to be told how much more awesome their church is.....

If you want to be generous; then be generous with your actions, not your words. Regardless of what you believe, leave that between you and your maker.

.veni.vidi.vici
by 3v on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM
4 moms liked this

That's happening at a federal level and in many states at that level too.

IMO the gov't has done such a great job at telling parents what their children need to know that some parents have blindly accepted that the gov't will educate their children. Sadly, some parents feel like they don't need to make a contribution to their children's education. 

In our community (heavily christian) the religious educators are careful to not cross the line by bringing religion into the classroom. Our community has a handful of active atheists that skim through everything the schools send home with a fine tooth comb. Some people are looking for an argument.

I've had conversations with some of the christian parents where I have to put their minds at ease that as an educator I'm not trying to steal Jesus from their kid's hearts. (Dude, I'm serious) What I'm REALLY trying to say is that it's the ignorant people that start the fires of doubt, then the supporters come along and fan the flames. By the time someone comes along to put out the fire they've all come together for the good of the children and their education. It's dumb.

I repect people who choose to live a godly life and find comfort in their religion. What I don't get at all is why it's so hard for some of those kinds of people to live and let live and embrace religious and cultural diversity.

omg I'm rambling

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom: Yes. My concern is the trend that people are wanting and expecting their religious beliefs to inform public and education policy.
Quoting .veni.vidi.vici:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it's harmful per se but there are radicals who end up making a mockery of what they claim to believe or not believe and religion isn't the only place radicals exist. They can be found in nearly any group. The trick is to allow them their freedom of speech without giving them so much credence that things end up in violence being hinted at as a means of resolving their complaints or furthering whatever agenda they may have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)