Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So in response to the poster who questions whether religious beliefs are harmful and should be discouraged*** edit

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:32 PM
  • 272 Replies
17 moms liked this

It seems you have forgotten where you live.  We have freedom of religion and freedom of assembly.  Who are you to decide what is harmful? 

If a conservative group does not support same sex marriage, is that harmful?  Not supporting it is not the same as condemning it.  They might in their own church decide that they cannot perform a same sex union, and some members may be ignorant in the way they verbalize their stance.  But NONE of that is 'harmful' as long as the government supports the rights of homosexuals to marry.

I agree that there are some wild groups out there, and that there are many who feel they escaped when they left home.  Those are valid points of view.  In some instances they may be correct. 

However neither you, nor the government should EVER conceive of limiting another's right to worship or beleive as they do.  Christianity was ILLEGAL in rome for 250 years.  It survived.  Hitler's final solution was to eradicate the Jews, the Jewish state not only survived, but thrived.  Any time a society attempted to squash believers, the believers only became stronger.

Most mainstream denominations are not only NOT harmful, they are essential to the lives of their participants.  They contribute much to society in the form of social services in the form of supporting the widows and orphans among  us.  In my community the churches of several denominations pool resources and commonly run a food pantry, a clothing closet and collect and distribute school supplies for registered families.  Denominations have differences theologically, but work together to support the community.  Those who benefitare not required to be a member of any of the churches involved.  I am sure that this is not a unique situation to my corner of the world.  When I lived in a small town in another state I was pleased to see at Christmastime, a gift shop run by senior citizens in an interfaith manner.  I bought beautiful gifts from there for my family, and I supported the group as a whole...

On the other hand there are orgainizations like the Westborogh Baptists who are SO extreme that I do not even want to count them as Christians, but that is not my place.  There are cults who deceive and control their followers, and restrict them in ways that borders on abuse. 

There is NO WAY to quash the harmful groups without harming or discrediting the groups that are truly faithful and wanting to be of service to GOD's people.

Now when it comes to the voting issue; we are all responsible to vote our consciounce.  If your beliefs cross mine, I am bound to respect them and the other way goes, too.  If I feel strongly about, oh, let's say -- late term abortion, then my vote is as valid as the one who sees no problem with it. 

SO MUCH RELIGOUS HATRED HERE!  FROM HERE ON  I WILL JUST SIT BACK AND READ THE HATE FILLED RHETORIC.

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM
20 moms liked this

I totally get why the Romans threw the Christians to the lions.  Some of them are pretty damn annoying.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM
6 moms liked this
This should be a response in that thread, rather than an attention seeking thread of it's own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjmorrison
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM

very well said.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM
9 moms liked this

So you think that death and dismemberment by wild animals is entertaining because you find Christians annoying?

Remember that the next time your children are rambuntious in public.  Or you find yourself somewhere where others do not agree with your views.  Should YOU and YOUR CHILDREN be tortured for the enjoyment of others?

very rarely do I call someone evil, but that remark was truly evil.  There is NO humor in it at all

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I totally get why the Romans threw the Christians to the lions.  Some of them are pretty damn annoying.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM
32 moms liked this
Religious conviction should definitely be discouraged in the public policy realm.

Religious dogma certainly IS harmful when used to legislate and control other people.

I don't have to respect or accept your 'conscience' vote when it comes to 'morality' because in these scenarios you aren't voting for freedoms you are voting to repress someone else's choice that you don't have to partake in if you don't want to.

Private churches are one thing. Go on and worship and say words and preach ideals that are meaningful to you. Don't care. When those actions spill out into public policy then it should be discouraged.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:41 PM
5 moms liked this

Nothing like pitching a fit to not make a point.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM
3 moms liked this

And I am not trying to be funny at all.  I am quite serious.  Religion has done more harm than good, especially Christianity.

Quoting jobseeker:

So you think that death and dismemberment by wild animals is entertaining because you find Christians annoying?

Remember that the next time your children are rambuntious in public.  Or you find yourself somewhere where others do not agree with your views.  Should YOU and YOUR CHILDREN be tortured for the enjoyment of others?

very rarely do I call someone evil, but that remark was truly evil.  There is NO humor in it at all

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM
6 moms liked this

So tell me,  how am I supposed to form an opinion when it comes to propositions on a ballot?  Am I supposed to ignore every value I have and vote for things that everyone else wants?  Am I supposed to deny my faith and my values to support something I am diametrically opposed to?

This is not the first time I have had someone on CM tell me this, I truly want to know how YOU think I should cast my vote?

Quoting Momniscient: Religious conviction should definitely be discouraged in the public policy realm. Religious dogma certainly IS harmful when used to legislate and control other people. I don't have to respect or accept your 'conscience' vote when it comes to 'morality' because in these scenarios you aren't voting for freedoms you are voting to repress someone else's choice that you don't have to partake in if you don't want to. Private churches are one thing. Go on and worship and say words and preach ideals that are meaningful to you. Don't care. When those actions spill out into public policy then it should be discouraged.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:49 PM
3 moms liked this

I am closing the door on this conversation, because it is clear that you are a proponent of murdering innocents in order to cleanse the world of believers.  The ultmate evil as far as I can see. 

I don't disagree that religion has been a cause for war, but going backward the wars of recent memory had nothing to do with Christianity, but were wars of politics.  The current war was not started in the name of Christ, Vietnam (communism), Korea (communism) WWII (Nazi desire for world domination)....  tell me when the last war in the name of Christ was fought?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

And I am not trying to be funny at all.  I am quite serious.  Religion has done more harm than good, especially Christianity.

Quoting jobseeker:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:52 PM
8 moms liked this

Nope, it was a different time and the Romans refused to be bullied by zealots.  They had their own way of dealing with them.  You're not being persecuted.  It is the rest of us who are being persecuted by you.

Its funny how you lot bandy about Christ's name to justify all the crap you do. Disgusting.

Quoting jobseeker:

I am closing the door on this conversation, because it is clear that you are a proponent of murdering innocents in order to cleanse the world of believers.  The ultmate evil as far as I can see. 

I don't disagree that religion has been a cause for war, but going backward the wars of recent memory had nothing to do with Christianity, but were wars of politics.  The current war was not started in the name of Christ, Vietnam (communism), Korea (communism) WWII (Nazi desire for world domination)....  tell me when the last war in the name of Christ was fought?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting jobseeker:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN