Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Protesters Turn Away Buses Carrying Migrant Families - UPDATE of sorts

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM
  • 225 Replies

Protesters Turn Away Buses Carrying Migrant Families

SAN DIEGO - Jun 30, 2014, 11:23 PM ET
By JULIE WATSON Associated Press

Protesters turn back three buses carrying 140 immigrants as they attempt to enter the Murrieta U.S. Border Patrol station for processing on Tuesday, July 1, 2014, in Murrieta, Calif.

Crisis at the Border: Surge of Underage Immigrants Coming to the US
Auto Start: On | Off
Associated Press

Homeland Security buses carrying migrant children and families were rerouted Tuesday to a facility in San Diego after American flag-waving protesters blocked the group from reaching a suburban processing center.

The standoff in Murrieta came after Mayor Alan Long urged residents to complain to elected officials about the plan to transfer the Central American migrants to California to ease overcrowding of facilities along the Texas-Mexico border.

Many protesters held U.S. flags, while others held signs reading "stop illegal immigration," and "illegals out!"

"We can't start taking care of others if we can't take care of our own," protester Nancy Greyson, 60, of Murrieta, told the Desert Sun newspaper.

Many of the immigrants were detained while fleeing violence and extortion from gangs in Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.

After the buses were blocked, federal authorities rerouted the vehicles to a freeway and then to a customs and border facility in San Diego within view of the Mexico border.

The three buses were trailed by a half-dozen news crews during the two-hour trip. People near the San Diego facility were surprised by the caravan.

Juan Silva, 27, a welder in Chula Vista, said he thought officials were transporting drug traffickers. Then he heard the buses were carrying migrant families.

"I don't think people in that town should be against little kids," he said about the protesters in Murrieta. "We're not talking about rapists. We're talking about human beings. How would they feel if it was their kids?"

After the migrants are processed, Immigration and Customs Enforcement will decide who can be released while awaiting deportation proceedings.

Earlier in the day, a chartered plane landed in San Diego with 136 migrants on board, according to a federal Department of Homeland Security official who was not authorized to be named when speaking on the issue.

It was the first flight planned for California under the federal government's effort to ease the crunch in the Rio Grande Valley and deal with the flood of Central American children and families fleeing to the United States.

The government is also planning to fly migrants to Texas cities and another site in California, and it has already taken some migrants to Arizona.

More than 52,000 unaccompanied children have been detained after crossing the Texas-Mexico border since October in what President Barack Obama has called a humanitarian crisis. Many of the migrants are under the impression that they will receive leniency from U.S. authorities.

Another flight was expected to take 140 migrants to a facility in El Centro, California, on Wednesday, said Lombardo Amaya, president of the El Centro chapter of the Border Patrol union. The Border Patrol would not confirm that arrival date.

video

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/protesters-turn-buses-carrying-migrant-families-24374330

CA mayor who inspired anti-immigrant protests is angry at being ‘stereotyped' by video clips

By David Edwards
Thursday, July 3, 2014 15:45 EDT
Angry anti-immigrant protests in Murrieta (Fox News)

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

A California mayor who inspired residents to protest and turn away busses full of immigrant women and children said on Thursday that he was worried that coverage of the angry demonstrations were stereotyping his town.

After Murrieta Mayor Alan Long posted a message on Facebook about his opposition to undocumented immigrants being transferred from Texas, flag-toting protesters showed up to block the busses, and eventually forced them to turn around.

Fox News seemed to celebrate the protests in several "Defending the Homeland" segments on Wednesday, including a graphic that appeared to have been borrowed from Bioshock - a video game about "racist assholes," according to the AV Club.

And in one case, an anti-immigration demonstrator was caught on video spitting in the face of Hispanic singer Lupillo Rivera.

On Thursday, Long told Fox News video the protests that he had inspired did not show the true "compassion" of his town.

"I took the opportunity last night to remind everyone that, you know, showing clips of angry people really isn't a true reflection of Murrieta," he insisted. "There is another opposing side to this that is just as angry, and I think if you talk to them, they would agree that they want an efficient process."

"We've heard some of those passionate people seeing the clips on the news and coming to a conclusion that Murrieta's not compassionate," Long added. "It's a shame that two minutes of video time on the news channel really stereotypes our city."

Watch the video below from Fox News, July 3 2014.

video

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Another take:

Protesters In Murrieta Turn Back Buses With Migrant Families

Protesters in Murrieta block the path of a charter bus containing migrants who entered the country illegally, July 1, 2014.

Above: Protesters in Murrieta block the path of a charter bus containing migrants who entered the country illegally, July 1, 2014.

Three buses containing migrants bound for a U.S. Border Patrol facility in Murrieta were turned back after protesters blocked the road Tuesday afternoon.

Protesters hold signs along a road in Murrieta, July 1, 2014.

Protesters hold signs along a road in Murrieta, July 1, 2014.

Approximately 100 to 150 people — some holding signs stating “No New Taxes, No New Illegals” and “America Has Been Invaded” — stood in the road in front of the buses that were filled with 136 immigrants and their children who had entered the United States illegally.

The departure of the migrants from the Riverside County city marked a victory for the protesters who were waving flags while others carried signs reading "Stop Illegal Immigration" and "Return to Sender."

A small band of immigrant supporters also made a showing outside the Murrieta facility, but their shouts were largely drowned out by the opposing camp.

After more than 15 minutes, the buses backed away. They headed south on Interstate 15 into San Diego County, according to an aerial video on CBS8.com, before arriving at the Border Patrol facility in Chula Vista around 4 p.m.

"Quite frankly, I don't know why they didn't bring them there in the first place," said Christopher Harris, a Border Patrol union representative. He said the Chula Vista facility has bunk beds, showers and a recreation room.

The 136 migrants arrived by chartered plane Tuesday at Lindbergh Field where they boarded the buses, a federal Department of Homeland Security official in California told The Associated Press. The official was not authorized to be named when speaking on the issue.

Once the migrants arrive at a federal facility, U.S. immigration authorities will determine whether they will be held or released pending deportation proceedings.

The flight to California was intended to help alleviate the crunch in the Rio Grande Valley after thousands of Central American families and unaccompanied children came to the U.S. fleeing violence at home.

Officials have also flown migrants to Arizona.

Following Tuesday's standoff in Murrieta, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said that once the migrants are processed, they will be taken to a "transition center" in Riverside County set up by a faith-based organization that would help the migrants arrange transportation to their final destinations and help them contact family members.

Murrieta Mayor Alan Long told concerned residents during a town hall meeting Monday that the city had coordinated with the Border Patrol to ensure the anticipated influx didn't create an untenable situation locally.

He expressed frustration that the federal government was moving its "headache" to Riverside County but assured residents that the individuals set to arrive don't have criminal backgrounds.

"This is a failure to enforce federal law at the federal level," Long said. "Murrieta continues to object to the transfer of illegal immigrants to the local Border Patrol office."

Officials said more migrants could be brought to Southern California within 72 hours.

Ira Mehlman of the Federation for American Immigration Reform told City News Service there is no way of knowing "with certainty" the histories of those being brought to the area. Mehlman said some of the children who have been showing up and surrendering to federal agents along the border look older than they claim and have been identified as affiliates of criminal syndicates.

KPBS reporter Jill Replogle, The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Additional background: Organizers of this protest included some of the same folks who organized protests against a mosque in the neighboring city of Temecula three years ago. The mosque protests failed, and work is underway on the mosque site.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM
29 moms liked this

We have veterans on the streets going without needed medical care and starving and we bring MORE illegals in! Good for these protestors! Medical staff have been told to keep quiet about the diseases being brought in to top it all off. We CANNOT keep playing the world's babysitter. I hate the situation these people are in and it hurts my heart but this country simply cannot morally or financially afford to do this!

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

We have veterans on the streets going without needed medical care and starving and we bring MORE illegals in! Good for these protestors! Medical staff have been told to keep quiet about the diseases being brought in to top it all off. We CANNOT keep playing the world's babysitter. I hate the situation these people are in and it hurts my heart but this country simply cannot morally or financially afford to do this!

Um, we have COMSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS that dictate how we handle illegal immigrants. It doesn't involve taking a bus load to the boarder and drop kicking them in the ass...

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM
6 moms liked this

Good for them.  I wouldn't want a bunch of criminals dropped off in my community either.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Um, we have COMSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS that dictate how we handle illegal immigrants. It doesn't involve taking a bus load to the boarder and drop kicking them in the ass...

Perhaps you could share this Constitutional AMENDMENT  with the rest of us....my handy pocket copy doesn't seem to have it listed.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Perhaps you could share this Constitutional AMENDMENT  with the rest of us....my handy pocket copy doesn't seem to have it listed.

The 5th & 14th Amendment

"[A foreigner in the United States] has a right to the protection of the laws

The last two clauses of the first section of the amendment disable a State from depriving not merely a citizen of the United States, but any person, whoever he may be, of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, or from denying to him the equal protection of the laws of the State. This abolishes all class legislation in the States and does away with the injustice of subjecting one caste of persons to a code not applicable to another. . . . It will, if adopted by the States, forever disable every one of them from passing laws trenching upon those fundamental rights and privileges which pertain to citizens of the United States, and to all person who may happen to be within their jurisdiction. [emphasis added by the U.S. Supreme Court]

The relationship between the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments was addressed by Justice Field in Wong Wing v. United States. He observed with respect to the phrase "within its jurisdiction": "The term 'person,' used in the Fifth Amendment, is broad enough to include any and every human being within the jurisdiction of the republic. A resident, alien born, is entitled to the same protection under the laws that a citizen is entitled to. He owes obedience to the laws of the country in which he is domiciled, and, as a consequence, he is entitled to the equal protection of those laws. . . . The contention that persons within the territorial jurisdiction of this republic might be beyond the protection of the law was heard with pain on the argument at the bar -- in face of the great constitutional amendment which declares that no State shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The Fifth Amendment (Amendment V) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights and protects against unfair treatment in legal processes.

Due process means access to legal representation and legal information:

Due process means ensuring that immigrants are not criminalized and placed in detention:

Due process means guaranteeing fairness of immigration court proceedings and case review on

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
7 moms liked this
Nice ASSumption.

God forbid you ever be in their situation. People in the US do not truly understand daily violence in the streets, gangs stealing your kids, or true poverty.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Good for them.  I wouldn't want a bunch of criminals dropped off in my community either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Well... I'm not sure about the protestors but I think they should he deported anyway. We don't physically have the resources to take care of that many children being bussed in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)