Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hypothetical question for Christians (or anyone) - EDITED

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 236 Replies
2 moms liked this
ETA: This has NOTHING TO DO with Hobby Lobby. That is a completely different discussion. It is about laws passed BASED ON religious texts that then force people not of that religion to comply with your personal tenants. NOT about whether a secular law already passed can or should be allowed religious exemptions for people, corporations, etc..

Let's just say that Islam surpassed Christianity as the majority religion in the US. Now imagine a subgroup of the majority decides that Allah wants women to cover so, because the majority believe in Allah, they are gping to press to make it law that ALL women in America must cover because they believe their God disapproves of not doing so.

Now imagine you have several Muslim neigh ors and you are all at a neighborhood cookout and talking about the propsed new law that is going to be up for vote in an upcoming election. Are you going to encourage your Muslim neighbors to vote in favor of imposing their religious beliefs on civil law or would you be telling them that it is not right, not okay, to try to force non Muslims to live by their holy book in a secular country?

A/N: I am just using a hypothetical example that I think many can relate to, I do not claim that anyone would actually ever want to pass a law requiring all women to cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codfish
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM
7 moms liked this
About as likely as I would support Christian women being told not to wear pants a or cut their hair as some believe.

I am a Christian and I love that on this country we have freedom of faith. I don't push mine on you so don't push yours on me.

Now if this is a reference to the Hobby Lobby case like I think it is, no one is taking away your bc using religion as am excuse. They are saying they shouldn't have to pay for it.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Sorry, not a good comparison.  

I don't encourage anyone to vote in any way.  I discuss and hope  something sparks with the other person, but I wouldn't tell someone how to vote.  

I understand what you are trying to get at, it doesn't work the way you think it does.  If I ask you to throw out every aspect of your life that colors or helps you come to a decision; and then make you make that decision, you would have nothing to judge the validity, morality or how just said law is.  

If everyone voted the way you suggest those of religion vote, there would be no need to vote, because we would put aside all of the things that makes of free people and then we'd all still not vote the same way

SlightlyPerfect
5 nominations, and my answer is still no.
Yesterday at 9:03 AM
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM
I don't think you'd be asking people to throw out everything, though, as it relates to moral decisions. Just the bullshit that inhibits sound moral judgment.

Quoting snookyfritz:

I don't encourage anyone to vote in any way.  I discuss and hope  something sparks with the other person, but I wouldn't tell someone how to vote.  

I understand what you are trying to get at, it doesn't work the way you think it does.  If I ask you to throw out every aspect of your life that colors or helps you come to a decision; and then make you make that decision, you would have nothing to judge the validity, morality or how just said law is.  

If everyone voted the way you suggest those of religion vote, there would be no need to vote, because we would put aside all of the things that makes of free people and then we'd all still not vote the same way

Freela
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm not for legislating the morality of any religion on the masses.  Religious and moral decisions are personal ones.  I'm a vegetarian for religious/moral reasons, but I don't think eating meat should be prohibited.

Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Good post.

I'll try to return when I'm not mobile.
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Answer the question. Would you be okay with people voting for laws that force you to live by rules of a religion not your own. Yes or no?

Quoting snookyfritz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Of course you would be.  Only, not the ones that you use.  Only the factors "we" use.  Judgement has nothing to do with it, really.  Judgement is the byproduct of viewing the behavior as sinful.  What I'm gettin here is that you don't mind that we get to the same answer as you do, using our moral compass, but when it deviates from what you want to have happen, we can't. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: I don't think you'd be asking people to throw out everything, though, as it relates to moral decisions. Just the bullshit that inhibits sound moral judgment.
Quoting snookyfritz:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
It has jack all to do with hobby lobby and I am NOT a Christian and I really do not give a flying rats ass who pays for someone bc.
Quoting codfish: About as likely as I would support Christian women being told not to wear pants a or cut their hair as some believe.

I am a Christian and I love that on this country we have freedom of faith. I don't push mine on you so don't push yours on me.

Now if this is a reference to the Hobby Lobby case like I think it is, no one is taking away your bc using religion as am excuse. They are saying they shouldn't have to pay for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM

If a law has passed the scrutiny of tests that it needs to, in order to be voted on (which is not how we do things) I'd vote on it.  But we are not doing that so it's kind of moot

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: Answer the question. Would you be okay with people voting for laws that force you to live by rules of a religion not your own. Yes or no?
Quoting snookyfritz:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM
6 moms liked this

I would not be comfortable, but that door is now open...we will all  get to feel the negative effects.

And the people who were cheering this latest SCOTUS ruling will the first and loudest to complain.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: Answer the question. Would you be okay with people voting for laws that force you to live by rules of a religion not your own. Yes or no?
Quoting snookyfritz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)