Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pet owners: Does your house stink? Are you sure?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM
  • 188 Replies
Ok, I'm not bashing on pets here, just have to get that out first. We are getting a shih tzu in the next few weeks so I'm all for critters. That said, some of you know I'm cleaning out the filthiest dog laden house ever so I'm just not down with the whole big dog in the house thing. Between that and my crazy neighbor who doesn't realize that she herself stinks like dog I got to wondering: How can people not notice that their house stinks??? Do pet owners just get used o the smell? Does it just smell like home?

I know not all houses with indoor pets smell. From my experience most don't. But for those who slip right over that edge, what would make them recognize they are offensive?

And while I'm on this rant, no, it isn't cute or funny when people get hair on their clothes after coming to your house or riding in your car. I know some people will say that if a little pet hair / smell bothers me that bad then they wouldn't associate with me anyway. To that I have to say: Good. Ok, I feel better. I'm pissy and I had to get that out.
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you ever had a shih tzu? They are very hard to train.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM
2 moms liked this
For someone who doesn't seem to tolerate animals I would suggest you not get a shih tzu. LOL!

They are hard to house train and a very stubborn breed. Also if you have small children that breed is not suggested as a good pet as they get stressed easily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM
9 moms liked this
As for your questions... No my house doesn't smell. I have two dogs and a cat. The Dogs are house trained and I clean the kitty box regularly so no smells from that and no accidents in the house. They also get groomed and bathed when needed although my husky has stinky breath LOL!

Now will you get hair o you if you visit? There's a good chance of that... Especially of you wear black in my home. If that bothers people they can simply not visit. My pets live here and are part of my family, they have hair. Just like my kids live here and you're bound to end up with a Cheerios stuck to your ass as well.

Eh. In my experience I prefer my Pets to most humans anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemum41
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We had beagles and cocker spaniels and they were "inside dogs".
I think dogs that spend a lot of time outside and get wet and dirty smell a lot and leave their stink in carpet and upholstery..Our house smelled pretty good or so people told us. They wondered why. Beagles are wonderful with kids but love to run away. LOL. They're not easy to train but we didn't care. Cockers sometimes don't like kids. If you like bigger dogs, irish setters are sweet and gentle I've heard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM

We have a golden retriever and a cat, as well as a teenage boy, and don't get complaints.  I use Febreeze sometimes and vacuum.  

I have a student who smokes, though, and every time she takes a lesson my studio stinks of smoke for at least an hour afterward, so part of it is what smells people are used to.  

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Hard to potty train?

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Have you ever had a shih tzu? They are very hard to train.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I have 3 dogs. I have hard floors on the whole first floor, except my bedroom (on 1st). It's Pergo tile. I put it in when we moved here, knowing how dogs smell up 'cloth' items. I wished I put it in my bedroom....but I will someday. Two of them prefer to sleep on the floor, not a dog bed, so my bedroom smells, but I vaccuum about every other day in there, and spritz it with febreeze or something. They're not allowed on furniture (yes, they sneak), so the furniture doesn't smell. The older dog sleeps on a crib mattress (cheaper than a dog bed), and that's sort of vinyly, so no smell. They aren't allowed on the 2nd floor, it's all carpeted. We can smell when it's time to shampoo the bedroom carpet. Fur on clothes? Only noticable on black, but we brush them often too.

Why a shitzu? 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I'm a freak about stinky dogs. I bathe my 2 dogs every weekend and clean my hardwood floors and vacuum a few times a week. I think that stops the stink unless I'm just used to it. I know someone with 2 dogs that does not keep their house well and I can smell them as soon as the door cracks open.

mistressflora
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

yes and yes, the reason i am sure is bc when i go into someones house who has cats like i do and dont take care of them i smell it, i walk into my own ouse and i smell nothing... I can also smell if the litterbox needs to be changed and i can smell my mother in laws cats upstairs. I would think if i was use to it i wouldnt be smelling hers either bc it all smells the same!

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Some people don't care and some people are just filthy.   I have 2 dogs and my home does not smell.  My dogs don't have accidents either.  They are very well trained.  I can leave them home alone for 10-12 hours and they will not go in the house.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN