Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do people really do this?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM
  • 51 Replies
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM
4 moms liked this

I haven't seen it in person probably because the state I live in has emitions rules but I believe it. There is real ignorance breeding in this country.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM
We also have emissions standards and I've never even this. Never hers of it until Facebook this week that's why I have to ask.

It seems so silly I almost thought it had to be satire.

Quoting mikiemom:

I haven't seen it in person probably because the state I live in has emitions rules but I believe it. There is real ignorance breeding in this country.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM

It honestly seems like an Onion article, especially with some of the comments like:

Quote:

Last month, Vocativ noted many coal rollers focus their fumes on "nature nuffies," or people who drive hybrids, and "rice burners," or Japanese-made cars. 

"The feeling around here is that everyone who drives a small car is a liberal," a roller named Ryan told Vocativ. "I rolled coal on a Prius once just because they were tailing me."

Quote:

"I run into a lot of people that really don’t like Obama at all," the salesperson said. "If he’s into the environment, if he’s into this or that, we’re not. I hear a lot of that. To get a single stack on my truck—that’s my way of giving them the finger. You want clean air and a tiny carbon footprint? Well, screw you."

If it's real it makes me sad.

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM

It's real. I've seen it first hand. And I've had comments like those made to me because I drive a Versa.  No joke, I was at the grocery store in Amarillo, Texas. I bought some organic food, some non-organic food (I really just try to buy the dirty dozen organic, but whatever), and the bagger commented, asking if I was a liberal. I just laughed, because since when is buying healthy food a liberal or conservative thing?

At this particular grocery chain the carts never leave the store without a bagger. So we got to my car, and he saw I was driving a Versa and commented that I was definitely a liberal, that I should "get a real car", and that "Texans don't take kindly to tiny cars or people who care about the environment."

During our time in Amarillo I also saw people "roll coal" on hybrids, in front of "liberal protests", and various other times, just because.

At a Jeff Dunham show, he (Dunham) made a point to say that he manipulated his ex wife into taking the Prius in the divorce because he hated environmentalists, and wanted to drive his Hummer, and the crowd cheered.

In some parts of the country, there are environmentalists and people who hate environmentalists so much they try to undo all their work. It's fucking stupid, self-destructive and ignorant, but it really exists. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

It honestly seems like an Onion article, especially with some of the comments like:

Quote:

Last month, Vocativ noted many coal rollers focus their fumes on "nature nuffies," or people who drive hybrids, and "rice burners," or Japanese-made cars. 

"The feeling around here is that everyone who drives a small car is a liberal," a roller named Ryan told Vocativ. "I rolled coal on a Prius once just because they were tailing me."

Quote:

"I run into a lot of people that really don’t like Obama at all," the salesperson said. "If he’s into the environment, if he’s into this or that, we’re not. I hear a lot of that. To get a single stack on my truck—that’s my way of giving them the finger. You want clean air and a tiny carbon footprint? Well, screw you."

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Yes, they do. I've seen it in real life, unfortunately. I live in the deep south, though, so ignorance is all too common down here...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myloveismyfaith
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Where I'm from we have emissions inspections that completely prevent it but in co we don't and I saw it first hand. Absolutely couldn't believe it! It was a huge truck to begin with with two "stacks" in the back just pouring out black smoke. Disgusting if you ask me.
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM
I have no words.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

It's real. I've seen it first hand. And I've had comments like those made to me because I drive a Versa.  No joke, I was at the grocery store in Amarillo, Texas. I bought some organic food, some non-organic food (I really just try to buy the dirty dozen organic, but whatever), and the bagger commented, asking if I was a liberal. I just laughed, because since when is buying healthy food a liberal or conservative thing?At this particular grocery chain the carts never leave the store without a bagger. So we got to my car, and he saw I was driving a Versa and commented that I was definitely a liberal, that I should "get a real car", and that "Texans don't take kindly to tiny cars or people who care about the environment."During our time in Amarillo I also saw people "roll coal" on hybrids, in front of "liberal protests", and various other times, just because.

At a Jeff Dunham show, he (Dunham) made a point to say that he manipulated his ex wife into taking the Prius in the divorce because he hated environmentalists, and wanted to drive his Hummer, and the crowd cheered.In some parts of the country, there are environmentalists and people who hate environmentalists so much they try to undo all their work. It's fucking stupid, self-destructive and ignorant, but it really exists. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quote:

Quote:

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Emissions controls don't usually cover every car on the road. All the states I have been in have a waiver process - car age, expenses cap on attempted remedy, etc.
.veni.vidi.vici
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Seems legit...I mean that.

I'm not surprised at all.

.veni.vidi.vici
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Quoting stringtheory: Emissions controls don't usually cover every car on the road. All the states I have been in have a waiver process - car age, expenses cap on attempted remedy, etc.

The only inspection a vehicle has to pass in this state is the one where the tag office runs the vin to make sure the car isn't stolen when you plate a vehicle brought in from another state.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN