Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Independence Day parade featuring a float mocking Obama has some crying racism.

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:48 PM
  • 103 Replies

July 4 parade float mocking Obama draws accusations of racism

An Independence Day parade float mocking President Obama is seen in Norfolk, Neb. on July 4, 2014. Liz Guthrie, Facebook via KMTV

A Fourth of July parade float in Nebraska that showed a dummy standing outside an outhouse labeled "Obama Presidential Library" is drawing cries of racism from local residents and the Nebraska Democratic Party.

The float, in the annual Independence Day parade in Norfolk, Neb., was affixed to trailer being towed behind a blue pickup truck. The dummy was clad in overalls, standing by a walker next to the outhouse.

The pickup truck and the float did not identify a sponsor, according to the Omaha World-Herald.

In a statement, the Nebraska Democratic Party called the float one of the "worst shows of racism and disrespect for the presidency that Nebraska has ever seen," according to the World-Herald.

Glory Kathurima, a black woman living in Norfolk, attended the parade with her nine year-old daughter. She told CBS News Omaha affiliate KMTV she was outraged by the float and disgusted that her daughter witnessed it.

"I'm ashamed, I'm appalled," she said. "You see people laughing and pointing at it, smiling, looking positive about it. I immediately felt sick to my stomach...I knew what that meant, and I knew there was no sort of political statement being made by an image like that."

Norfolk City Councilman Dick Pfeil told the World-Herald that the city "doesn't condone" the float.

But one of the parade's organizers, Rick Konopasek, told the Lincoln Journal-Star the float was intended to be no more offensive than a political cartoon. He said the outhouse was the most popular float in the parade, and that it earned an "honorable mention" from three judges.

"It's obvious the majority of the community liked it," Konopasek said. "So should we deny the 95 percent of those that liked it their rights, just for the 5 percent of people who are upset?"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/july-4-parade-float-mocking-obama-draws-accusations-of-racism/

Let me just say, my favorite part is their use of the word DUMMY! 

Before you cry foul you should google up floats of past presidents. 

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Stupidity at its finest.....

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

How patriotic-

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

What made it racist?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course, because the only reason his ideas belong in the toilet is because he's black. Morons.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM
7 moms liked this

I really dont understand how a parade to celebrate independence day allows this trash through.  how do you celebrate solidarity as a people when you are seeking to divide, not talking race but politically.

Its a weird concept 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM
3 moms liked this
It mocks Obama therefore it must be racist.

Quoting JTROX:

What made it racist?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM
How is it racist?
littlemum41
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:07 PM
3 moms liked this

It is tacky and disrespectful . Inappropriate  on the 4th of July.

He isn't perfect, he makes mistakes, but this float is just nasty.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't see how it is racist either.

Is it tacky?  You betcha...but sometimes tacky is funny.

On a side note...I don't have an outhouse, but I do have some excellent reading materials in my bathroom.

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM
5 moms liked this

Not necessarily appropriate for the 4th of July, but we do have a fine tradition in this country of mocking our politicians and I don't think that's a bad thing, even when it becomes tacky and juvenile.  Remember some of the cartoons about Dan Quayle?  I have to admit I found many of them funny.

I don't get why it's racist either.  The one woman's quote made it sound as if everyone knows what "that" should mean, but I honestly don't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)