Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Jim Crow law Louisiana

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM
  • 12 Replies
Louisiana just enacted a law enabling businesses to refuse to serve lgbt people based on religion
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sockpuppet333
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Bunp
1stmuslimah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM

My family has never  refuse anyone for being gay at any of their business's. If anyone was ever to found to have done so they would be let go in an instant. I am sure many come we do not even know are gay as they don't wear a sign that say's "I'm gay". Some, especially those who have come as obvious couples are not denied although it is against our religion we keep religion out of the work place other what wall hangings we have. If they have the money then their money is just as good as anyone else's.

We do however have signs up that say "we reserve the right to deny business to anyone". Those signs are mostly for any one who is disruptive or causing trouble or in the places of service violate the dress codes which are no tank tops, dirty jeans with holes looking like one just walked off a construction site. They are not in place to deny anyone for sex, race, or religion, etc.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:22 PM
do you have a link for that
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Prove it, because from what I've found, Louisiana passed laws banning gay discrimination.
HamsterandCow
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:30 PM
I'm going to need a source here, please.
aimeelu
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM

BS

jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Link?
Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

My family has never  refuse anyone for being gay at any of their business's. If anyone was ever to found to have done so they would be let go in an instant. I am sure many come we do not even know are gay as they don't wear a sign that say's "I'm gay". Some, especially those who have come as obvious couples are not denied although it is against our religion we keep religion out of the work place other what wall hangings we have. If they have the money then their money is just as good as anyone else's.

We do however have signs up that say "we reserve the right to deny business to anyone". Those signs are mostly for any one who is disruptive or causing trouble or in the places of service violate the dress codes which are no tank tops, dirty jeans with holes looking like one just walked off a construction site. They are not in place to deny anyone for sex, race, or religion, etc.

Why on earth would you refuse service to someone wearing a tank top or a person who's been working at a construction site for the past 8 or longer hours that might look somewhat unkempt from working around dirt etc? A good many kids & adults, locals and tourists can be found/seen wearing tank tops when its hot as well as a lot of construction workers, or they simply wear them because they like the comfort & style of tank tops. Jesus, what an idiotic & archaic minded thing to say & even worse, to have as a "rule of service."

1stmuslimah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:44 AM

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Why on earth would you refuse service to someone wearing a tank top or a person who's been working at a construction site for the past 8 or longer hours that might look somewhat unkempt from working around dirt etc? A good many kids & adults, locals and tourists can be found/seen wearing tank tops when its hot as well as a lot of construction workers, or they simply wear them because they like the comfort & style of tank tops. Jesus, what an idiotic & archaic minded thing to say & even worse, to have as a "rule of service."

Because our places of service are more on an upscale, professional atmosphere. They are not sports bar or Coney Island, or McDonald's. We try to keep a classy image and that is what the clientele is. Tank top, old raggedy clothes, muddy work boots is not the image or place for that. Our customers are more classy people and that is what our places of business's are.

When I say "ours" I mean mean family as in my brothers, and their kids which we are so close even though one of them are technically owner every thing is the family is ours, Arab family culture thing and we are huge family.

In the liquor stores and insurance agencies offices when we have walk ins there is no dress code.

The dress code is for the cigar lounges in which mostly men , classy and men with money come and go in big humidifier and chose their cigar or Aragillah (in English hooka) and smoke in lounging area.

Martini bar is called martini bar meaning it is more of a classy place where people don't come like bums. It is not like sports bar.

Restaurant is the same place. It's not big boys it's more towards an upscale setting and everything is very professionally done. Plus one half we have for party's, wedding receptions and other nice party's and people who are paying that kind of money expect class and professionalism. We have live entertainment on the week end and and it is not cheap if you don' have reservation for week ends just to eat and listen to entertaiment there is no room for you after 10 PM. It's in Dearbore but middle class but they know to dress up.

All places of service are in more rich and upscale area and that is how the populations of those area are any way. They are doctors, lawyers, engineer, professionals and that the image they are intended by us to be and what our customer expect. One cigar lounge is in Dearborn but people know as many other places in Dearborn to come looking decent. The place is always packed.

The liquor stores 2 of them 1 in Detroit and one in Dearborn, the insurance agencies in Dearborn, Hamtramach Pontiac, Eastpoint and  spread out to more middle class areas because they are for people who can't get good insurance because of too many points or tickets it is for high risk drivers

We have one restaurant in Dearborn it is very nice but like the places of service and there is not a real strict dress code and people don't come filthy and ratggedy but it is more laid back. We get allot of family's with kids at Dearborn location but the others mentioned at top very rarely will kids come to that restaurant because it is a very adult setting. Kids are welcome but parents know it is not for kids and don't bring them and of course they are not allowed in cigar lounge or martini bar

Cell phone store of course there is no dress code nor was there when my one brother had gas stations which he does have anymore. It;s only for the placed of service as that is the image they are designed for.

The Arabic grocery is in Sterling Heights which is nice they are not the top notch but nice and it is mostly a Chaldea (Iraqi Christian) because that is their area and Chaldean women never go anywhere with out look their best but that is their choice of course it is store, mostly Arabic foods, Arabic shit, trinkets and stuff home, Arabic serving dishes for tea and junk like this of course there is no dress code

Besides the stores and distribution, and insurance agencies of course there is no dress code. But the public places of service more classy image is what it is supposed to be

A few times, not many some even once a regular customer who is not all there anyways have been asked to go change because they come in tank top locking like under shirt or T shirt with the sleeves cut off all jagged and raggedy and it's always men when ever it happens..

The cosmetic line is either sold on line or the product's are in salons several scattered but mostly in Arab or Chaldean salon. We do not own the salon just sell the product there and no one goes to salon looking their best to get worked on lo.

It is not usual different places have different setting and cater to different kind of clientele. There are many places of service that are like that.

Like I said if someone is disruptive, pan handling or prostituting out if from of the door, selling drugs in out parking which ONLY happens at Detroit liquor in Detroit of course they are told to leave and sometimes the police called but that is Detroit and always to be expected.

No one has ever been tuned down service for their race sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity. We figure their spends too. Actually when I have served or bar tended in the bar or restaurant the ones I know are gay because they often will come as obvious couples they are the best customer. They dress the best, they are polite, they are not cheap and the never complain. Very easy people to serve.

The gays we have here all of them I have seen are very professional and have class. They are not the gays I see posted here on CM. They have a neighborhood about  on the north side of Detroit on the other side of the border. It used to be a dump, all government paid housing, drugs, trashy kind of people who didn't care. When the gays started moving they all started leaving. The gays have turned that city completely around. Their homes are painted, nice land scrape, no more trash thrown all over the place. The crime has dropped and property values have gone up. They have opened many nice shops, resteraunts, and specialty (weird) clothing shops. They really fixed it up.

Here on Cafe Mom they do not show gay like that. I never these kind of gays they post about here.

Sorry that long and little off topic. There isn't much to do at 5:30 am.

littlemum41
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Louisiana. Figures, doesn't it? What is it with the southern states? There is prejudice all over the country but it seems to be much more common in the south. (Some are still longing for slavery and think the south won the war)

Reigious beliefs should be private  and never imposed on others. People who try to control using religion are not religious. They're just prejudiced,controlling people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)