Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NY man gets 18 years in prison for rape revealed in stepdaughter’s college essay

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM
  • 23 Replies

By Reuters
Monday, July 7, 2014 15:46 EDT

Gavel via Shutterstock

By Victoria Cavaliere

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A New York City man was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Monday for raping his stepdaughter, who revealed the sexual abuse in a college application essay.

Albert Tarrats, 62, of Brooklyn appeared in State Supreme Court where he denied the claim and appealed for clemency.

“There was never any abuse,” said Tarrats, who is illiterate, in a statement read by his defense attorney Ernest Hammer.

“He never hurt [his stepdaughter],” the statement said.

Tarrats was arrested in 2012 shortly after his stepdaughter, now 18, wrote to a college admissions panel that she had been repeatedly raped and molested when she was 8 years old.

The essay, submitted to a Florida Christian college, was supposed to address difficult events in the applicant’s life.

The stepdaughter, who was not present in court for sentencing, issued a written statement to the judge appealing for the maximum penalty.

He faced a maximum of 25 years in prison for his convictions on charges of rape, sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child.

She said that coming forward about the abuse, both in the essay and during the trial, had provided some closure.

“A weight has been lifted off my shoulders,” her statement said. “I believe he should be punished for what he’s done.”

Tarrats’ attorney claimed that the abusive incidents described in the admission essay had been fabricated at his client’s expense.

Tarrats has been the victim of physical and mental abuse by other prisoners at the city jail on Rikers Island, where he has been held throughout the criminal proceedings.

The girl’s mother read the essay and contacted a rape hot line, which put her in touch with police, prosecutors said.

http://www.rawstory.com/...

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
syfymom354
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM

So they sent him away on her word? That's messed up.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Quoting syfymom354:

So they sent him away on her word? That's messed up.

Not the way the law works.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM

BUMP!

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
If it her story is true, he deserves every bit of mental and physical abuse he is getting in jail.
If she made up the while thing - God help poor man, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drinkme8184
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

How do they know she didnt make that up?

Let me edit and rephrase before everyone jumps on my for blaming the victim..... What facts were there?  Where is the evidence? Is he going to prison just for the essay or did they find facts to go along with it?

sherry132
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM

This is my question also. What evidence do they have?

Quoting drinkme8184:

Let me edit and rephrase before everyone jumps on my for blaming the victim..... What facts were there?  Where is the evidence? Is he going to prison just for the essay or did they find facts to go along with it?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:34 AM
2 moms liked this
This was just the sentencing.

He was convicted by a jury. After a trial where all the evidence was presented.
After her mom read the essay and reported him.

Quoting sherry132:

This is my question also. What evidence do they have?

Quoting drinkme8184:

whovianmum
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:59 AM

I was confused so looked it up,here's another article which states "Tarrats, who had implausibly claimed after getting arrested that it was the little girl who entered his bed and grabbed his private parts, declined to speak before getting sentenced."

So it looks like he admitted it at some point.

viv212
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:07 AM
Of it wasn't true, you don't think a person would have said so? I just can't imagine someone completely making something like that up, knowing that the step dad would get charged.

Quoting drinkme8184:

petitekatie
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 3:14 AM
Oh. My. God.

Quoting whovianmum:

I was confused so looked it up,here's another article which states "Tarrats, who had implausibly claimed after getting arrested that it was the little girl who entered his bed and grabbed his private parts, declined to speak before getting sentenced."

So it looks like he admitted it at some point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)