Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rick Perry to President Obama: No handshake

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 224 Replies

Texas Gov. Rick Perry declined an official White House offer to greet President Barack Obama when he lands at Austin’s airport Wednesday.

The Republican governor, who has repeatedly criticized Obama for his handling of the crisis along the U.S.-Mexico border, wrote the president and asked for a more “substantive meeting.”

“I appreciate the offer to greet you at Austin-Bergstrom Airport, but a quick handshake on the tarmac will not allow for a thoughtful discussion regarding the humanitarian and national security crises enveloping the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas,” Perry wrote in a letter on Monday to the president, according to the Austin American-Statesman. “I would instead offer to meet with you at any time during your visit to Texas for a substantive meeting to discuss this critical issue. With the appropriate notice, I am willing to change my schedule to facilitate this request.”

Obama will be in Texas for two days, primarily to attend private Democratic fundraisers in Dallas and Austin. On Monday, White House press secretary Josh Earnest downplayed criticism that Obama would be raising money rather than visiting the border during his visit, saying that the president isn’t worried about the “optics” of his visit.

The American-Statesman later reported that White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett responded to Perry, inviting the governor to a roundtable discussion on the border situation with local officials and faith leaders.

“The president would welcome a meeting with you while he is in Texas,” Jarrett wrote in a letter to Perry. She also reiterated the Obama administration’s commitment to addressing the “urgent humanitarian situation” along the border.

The Texas governor, a potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate, has exchanged barbs with the White House over the recent influx of children trying to enter the U.S. illegally along the border. Perry has been increasingly critical of the president, most recently on Sunday saying Obama isn’t personally invested in solving the issue.

“I don’t believe he particularly cares whether or not the border of the United States is secure,” Perry said Sunday on ABC’s “This Week.”

Last week, Earnest said Perry is “playing politics” in his criticism of Obama and that the governor should instead work to support comprehensive immigration reform.

“The reason that some people are suggesting the president should go to the border in Texas is because they’d rather play politics than try to address some of these challenges,” Earnest said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/rick-perry-obama-austin-airport-greeting-108642.html#ixzz36ss7MKeu

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand why Obama won't meet with him. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM
5 moms liked this

lol

Rick Perry still thinks he has a shot as POTUS

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM
7 moms liked this

did you not read your own post?

The American-Statesman later reported that White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett responded to Perry, inviting the governor to a roundtable discussion on the border situation with local officials and faith leaders.

“The president would welcome a meeting with you while he is in Texas,” Jarrett wrote in a letter to Perry. She also reiterated the Obama administration’s commitment to addressing the “urgent humanitarian situation” along the border.

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes SAK I read it. So far, no meeting is scheduled. I hope Obama does find time to squeeze in a meeting. It would be a good idea for him.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting VooDooB:

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM
10 moms liked this

For all the whining that Texans do about government interference and state's rights, I don't see why they don't handle the problem themselves. There's always talk of Texas seceding from the union because they disagree with Washington, so now's the time to do what they need to to secure their border.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM
4 moms liked this

Why?

Perry has no solutions and is only posturing

you said you didn't understand why the POTUS wouldn't meet with him. The POTUS didn't refuse to meet with him

Quoting VooDooB:

Yes SAK I read it. So far, no meeting is scheduled. I hope Obama does find time to squeeze in a meeting. It would be a good idea for him.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I hope the president schedules a meeting with the governor of Texas regarding the crisis at the border. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Why?

Perry has no solutions and is only posturing

you said you didn't understand why the POTUS wouldn't meet with him. The POTUS didn't refuse to meet with him

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting VooDooB:

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM
5 moms liked this

You have never seen Obama actually Governing in 6 years.

You have witnessed him speechify,  golf, speechify, whine, golf, whine, and whine while golfing.

He can not be seen Governing as he is still running AGAINST the evil government of the evil USA.

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM
4 moms liked this

justin timberlake animated GIF

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

For all the whining that Texans do about government interference and state's rights, I don't see why they don't handle the problem themselves. There's always talk of Texas seceding from the union because they disagree with Washington, so now's the time to do what they need to to secure their border.

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

justin timberlake animated GIF

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)