Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pastor & Parishioners Torture 13-Year-Old to Get Him to Behave

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM
  • 8 Replies

Pastor & Parishioners Torture 13-Year-Old to Get Him to Behave

by Ericka Sóuter

churchWe've all heard of the Bible passage, spare the rod and spoil the child. However, one California pastor and two members of his congregation have taken that notion to a dangerous new level. They are accused of viciously torturing a 13-year-old boy in order to scare him straight.

The boy was allegedly acting up and Pastor Lonny Remmers admitted to hurting him during a Bible study session. He, along with two other men, drove him to a remote area, beat him, then forced him to dig his own grave while they threw dirt on him. Sounds frightening, right? They didn't stop there.

They eventually took him out of the hole, let him shower, and then rubbed salt in his wounds. Then they tied him up and sprayed mace in his face. Even then, they weren't done with this sadistic lesson. They next day. they twisted the poor child's nipples with pliers in front of a dozen other men.

Fortunately, the pastor and his cohorts didn't get away with it. The three men plead guilty to assault with a deadly weapon, inflicting corporeal injury, and making criminal threats. Remmers will likely get two years in prison and the other two were given one year of house arrest.

This entire story is just unbelievable in this day and age. This goes far beyond just trying to scare him straight. Reports say he was brought to the church by his mother.  I do somewhat empathize with the desperation of parents who have out-of-control children but this is unacceptable. What kind of  man of God does this? And what kind of parent would allow it?

Are you surprised a minister would do this?

Image via Vinoth Chandar/Flickr

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jozemom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this
Sadly, no. I'm not surprised at all. I'm a Christian, but the Bible for tells that corruption would infiltrate the church and that "man will dominate man to his injury". Corrupt religious leaders have been abusing their power since time began, its desgusting but its nothing new.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Are you surprised a minister would do this?

No.

And, further, I think that every mom on CafeMom who has posted to say that homosexuality is a choice, bears some blame in this.   Some of that boy's blood is on their hands.

lil_mama06
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I am surprised.....That's awful......When you take your rambunctious teen to a pastor for help you don't expect that for sure....

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM

This story was featured on CM yesterday.

angelenia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Bump
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Quoting Bonita131:

This story was featured on CM yesterday.

Why hey, yes, it was.

Am I the only one this mod does this to? A day or two later, and something I've posted gets the *new* treatment.

Autiziumom
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 3:05 AM
U see what so called believers do. God doesnt do this why should we. Its so sick and sad to serve the same God these sick men claim to worship. Im so sorry for the young man. He was in the right place with the wrong people. Im ashamed to call my self a christian.
angelenia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 3:33 AM
Like bump and stuff and where is the motherfucking outrage from certain Xtian ladies here on cm?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)