Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Intelligent Design Question

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM
  • 76 Replies
During the summer we are all more aware of the sun and going broke buying sunscreen if our kids like to be outside. ;-) It makes a person consider the sun: it's necessary to sustain life; yet too much exposure to it can cause cancer and kill you; yet not enough exposure causes dificiencies in vitamin D which is also essential. This is a glaring design flaw. How does one who believes in an omnipotent designer explain such an obvious flaw?

Feel free to add any other design flaws you can think of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't call it a design flaw at all since anything done to excess can cause health problems, even death. People have died from over-eating, does that make having a need for food and food sources being available a design flaw also? If we say that we need the sun because it provides vitamin D, which we need but too much exposure can cause cancer and death so it's a design flaw, then we have to say that having a need for food and plently of food sources available is also a design flaw. If something needs amounts of something else to survive but too much of that thing can cause it's death so that fact makes it a design flaw, then what we're really saying is that life itself is a design flaw since all living things need certain other things in order to live.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

So if you don't believe in ID then how does evolution explain why humans would have evolved such a weakness?  

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
No. People have only been dying of overrating/obesity related illnesses at such high numbers for less than 100 years or so. This is more cultural than an actual design flaw. And when one considers that we have more control over how much sun exposure we get now than at any other time in human history, for most of human history the sun was killing people who were just going about their daily lives.

Quoting meriana:

I wouldn't call it a design flaw at all since anything done to excess can cause health problems, even death. People have died from over-eating, does that make having a need for food and food sources being available a design flaw also? If we say that we need the sun because it provides vitamin D, which we need but too much exposure can cause cancer and death so it's a design flaw, then we have to say that having a need for food and plently of food sources available is also a design flaw. If something needs amounts of something else to survive but too much of that thing can cause it's death so that fact makes it a design flaw, then what we're really saying is that life itself is a design flaw since all living things need certain other things in order to live.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't know. Humans have lots of design flaws. I wouldn't really expect perfect design with an evolutionary process like I would with an omnipotent, intelligent designer.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

So if you don't believe in ID then how does evolution explain why humans would have evolved such a weakness?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Why do you expect a perfect design from an ID?  

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom: I don't know. Humans have lots of design flaws. I wouldn't really expect perfect design with an evolutionary process like I would with an omnipotent, intelligent designer.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Why wouldn't I? If the designer claims to be perfect and all-powerful, what would be the point in creating humans with such flaws?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom: I don't know. Humans have lots of design flaws. I wouldn't really expect perfect design with an evolutionary process like I would with an omnipotent, intelligent designer.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I suppose because an all knowing, all powerful creator would be expected to know how and have the power to do so

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM
What evolutionary advantage comes from blue eyes? Very sensitive to bright sunlight. It literally feels like being thumped in the eyeball sometimes.
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM
I know what you mean! I have green eyes and have to wear sunglasses even when it's cloudy at times because it's still bright through the clouds.

Quoting AdrianneHill: What evolutionary advantage comes from blue eyes? Very sensitive to bright sunlight. It literally feels like being thumped in the eyeball sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh...and I would suspect that light colored eyes are a smaller proportion of the population than brown eyes and that they haven't disappeared more because blue eyes are considered attractive, thus people with blue eyes are reproducing at high rates. I think this is probably the case rather than that they have an sort of advantage with regard to the sun.

Quoting AdrianneHill: What evolutionary advantage comes from blue eyes? Very sensitive to bright sunlight. It literally feels like being thumped in the eyeball sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)