Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Republicans Who Signed Up For Obamacare This Year Are Pretty Happy

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Pam
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this

Republicans Who Signed Up For Obamacare This Year Are Pretty Happy

Republicans who signed up for Obamacare this year are liking their new insurance coverage, according to a new survey.

A poll of Obamacare enrollees published Thursday by the Commonwealth Fund found that 74 percent of newly insured Republicans are happy with the plans they bought. Overall, 77 percent of people who had insurance prior to the rollout of the Affordable Care Act said they are pleased with the new coverage they obtained in the last year.

The survey revealed the current uninsured rate among working-age adults in the U.S. has dropped to 15 percent, down from 20 percent in July-September 2013 -- meaning an estimated 9.5 million people have gained coverage since then.

a

But the survey wasn't all good news. HuffPost's Jeffrey Young reports that more than one-third of the lowest-income residents in states that didn't take up the Obamacare Medicaid expansion at the beginning of this year remain uninsured. That rate is virtually unchanged from last year, even as millions gained coverage elsewhere.

For more on the survey, visit the Commonwealth Fund.

by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Bump!
latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the fate ted Cruz was so afraid of. Now we have a bunch of insured people running amuk...what do we do???

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM
4 moms liked this

My sister was very anti obama care and I guess you could call her a republican.  Her husband is now being treated  for cancer through the ACA.  They pay 500 a month for it.  I am not sure what they would have done if he did not get this insurance right before he was diagnosed.  SO YES, it is helping people.

mommaof697
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Not everybody is happty with it. Some people can't afford the increase in premium rate

ILoveMyFam
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommaof697:

Not everybody is happty with it. Some people can't afford the increase in premium rate

This.  My insurance premium is now $550/mo for our family of 5 and the coverage is absolutely horrible.  I pay so much out of pocket for simple lab tests, and gosh forbid I have anything more than that done, I pay hundreds/thousands. 

mommaof697
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ILoveMyFam:

Quoting mommaof697:

This.  My insurance premium is now $550/mo for our family of 5 and the coverage is absolutely horrible.  I pay so much out of pocket for simple lab tests, and gosh forbid I have anything more than that done, I pay hundreds/thousands. 

I know someone who filled out the ap and figured out how much it would be and said he can't afford it.

DEB, wife to wonderful husband and mom to 6 blessings

lovemyguys
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I've seen, its very much like any other insurance option. You have to look at the available plans and prices and decide what's best for your family. For us, my employer provided insurance is cheaper for me but not for my family. My kids have insurance through the ACA and my husband is still uninured at this point. We are still looking for plans for him but it may turn out to be more cost effective to just add him to my policy at the end of the year.

From what I've seen, a lot of people who are saying they can't afford it haven't really looked into the options. If you can't afford $100 a month (which is the average here) then you probably qualify for one fo the medicaid expansions. I dont think everyone is doing their homework.

littlemum41
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

But , some say that their premiums are lower. So....

Quoting mommaof697:

GrettieMeh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a friend who is anti-Obama.  She got really sick this year, spent weeks in the hospital - and she's still touch and go, is taking thousands of dollars worth of medication a month...  When she talks about it, she gets teary about how thankful she is to have ACA.  

Yes, it IS helping people.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Didn't anyone bother to look at the "survey"?  I could not find a single question about political party/satisfaction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN