Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So now it's...Wheat that is making us all fat....

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM
  • 179 Replies
13 moms liked this

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/todays-wheat-making-you-gain-weight

I was watching Dr. Oz show yesterday and he is apparently behind this new movement that says now it's wheat, even the good 100% whole wheat, full of fiber and cholesterol reducing, that is supposedly making us all fat. He also goes on to say in the show that you would be better off eating 6 tablespoons of strait table sugar, than eating a single slice of whole wheat bread. He also claims eating a slice of wheat bread is worse than eating a candy bar or fatty red meats. WTF?? AM i the only one sick and tired of reading all these new "health" studies who say a new thing each week is the cause for us being overweight?? What ever happened to moderation is the key? Back in the day, you ate little bits of everything, meat, sweets, vegs, fruit, and by being moderate and active, you were fine...now we are being forced into this ridiculous age where supposedly everything is bad for you. There's the side that say you should be a vegetarian/vegan, and can't eat animal products, AND now we can't supposedly eat wheat or anything containing it? Get the eff out of here Dr Oz, come on now..SMH

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Fat brains make people fat.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM
10 moms liked this
This isn't "now". This has been true for decades. Wheat spikes your blood sugar, just like plain old sugar does. This is why diabetics have to follow a low carb diet.
steeljello
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM

What about his claim that it's better to have a candy bar, the regular old fashioned candy bar full of sugar, than eating a plain slice of 100% whole wheat bread? Do you support that?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: This isn't "now". This has been true for decades. Wheat spikes your blood sugar, just like plain old sugar does. This is why diabetics have to follow a low carb diet.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:32 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm not a Dr. Oz supporter, FYI. I don't eat refined sugar or wheat, by choice not by medical condition, so I don't think either choice is better than the other. Both cause a blood sugar spike, both trigger insulin surge, both make you fat.

Quoting steeljello:

What about his claim that it's better to have a candy bar, the regular old fashioned candy bar full of sugar, than eating a plain slice of 100% whole wheat bread? Do you support that?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: This isn't "now". This has been true for decades. Wheat spikes your blood sugar, just like plain old sugar does. This is why diabetics have to follow a low carb diet.

MonarchMom22
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM
7 moms liked this

I would not take any diet advice from Dr. Oz... He is in show business, not practicing medicine.  And he needs a new topic to get people to keep watching everyday, so there is a new "breakthrough" everyday.

in my opinion, not a doctor just a well-read adult, human beings do not all process foods the same way.  Your genetic background and eating history plays a big part in how your body functions. So generalizations rarely help. And since many food staples like corn wheat and rice have been genetically modified over time, even foods that used to be fine for your body may no longer be digested the same 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM
13 moms liked this

GMO- it's not 100% whole wheat that people are eating. The association between the gut and the brain is astounding. Fake wheat is making some people sick-

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM
11 moms liked this

Dr. Oz is a quack.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
8 moms liked this

So, as it stands now....everything is bad for you, except, it would seem, quinoa and kale. 

I'm a good cook, but I have yet to find a way to make either of these taste like food.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I love kale. I buy it in huge bags and eat copious amounts of it every day in various forms.

Quoting GLWerth:

So, as it stands now....everything is bad for you, except, it would seem, quinoa and kale. 

I'm a good cook, but I have yet to find a way to make either of these taste like food.

krysstizzle
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM
15 moms liked this

Oh girrrrrrl - that's good stuff. Quinoa salad with tons of veggies in it is the shiznit. :)

But yes - everything is bad for you. And actually, we shouldn't even be eating quinoa - global markets, effects on peasants in Peru and Bolivia, etc, etc. And too many greens will make you sick - I read an article about how horrible green smoothies were for you because you would just simply be eating too many greens and poison yourself.

I'm going the route of getting a nutritional i.v. drip. That way, I don't have to change my firmly held dietic beliefs every three days. ;) 

Nom, nom, nom, I.V. drip...

Quoting GLWerth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)