Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pilot buys pizzas for passengers grounded by storm

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM
KK
  • 5 Replies

A Frontier Airlines flight attendant passes out pizza to passengers aboard a Denver-bound flight diverted to Cheyenne, Wyo. The airplane pilot treated his passengers to the pizza after they were diverted. (AP Photo/Logan Marie Torres)

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — Faced with potentially hungry — and grumpy — passengers, a Frontier Airlines pilot treated them to pizza when storms diverted a Denver-bound flight to Cheyenne, where the plane was stuck for a couple of hours.

Cheyenne Domino's Pizza manager Andrew Ritchie told The Associated Press that he got a call about 10 p.m. Monday just as he was about to send employees home. Ritchie said pilot Gerhard Bradner told him he needed to feed 160 people — fast.

"I put my hand over the phone and I said: 'Guys, you're coming back,'" Ritchie said, recalling what he told his employees.

In all, Ritchie said his crew made about 35 pizzas and delivered them to the airport, where the driver handed the food off to flight attendants. One of the passengers sent KUSA-TV a picture of flight attendants handing out pizza boxes.

That number of pizzas is usually what his store handles in an entire hour, Ritchie said. This time, they needed to make them and deliver them in about 30 minutes, he said.

But that didn't deter his co-workers, Ritchie said.

"Actually, they were super excited. They had a blast. It was a challenge," he said. "It was definitely one of those 'challenge accepted' moments in time."

Tyri Squyres, Frontier's vice president of marketing, said the airline's pilots have bought pizza or drinks for passengers before and have celebrated a child's first flight with a tour.

KUSA-TV reported that the flight to Denver International Airport, which originated in Washington, D.C., left Cheyenne about 10:30 p.m., shortly after the pizzas arrived.

The flight was one of dozens that were delayed Monday evening because of heavy rain across Colorado.
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mrsary
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Good pilot!!
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM

They should HAVE to feed people who are being held captive. I have sat on the tarmac for 2:59 for a coast to coast flight and the crew of Jet Blue would not even serve water (summertime flight)...citing supply issues.  I guess at 3:00 hours they have to start financially compensating. We quickly moved up to the front of the que to avoid the payout.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM
It isn't even the length of time that makes passengers pissy - its the time of day. I was stuck on the tarmac once for a couple hours, which wasn't a huge deal, except I was supposed to have been landed and going to dinner by the time we took off. I had a couple snacks but by the time I actually got to dinner I would have eaten my shoe.

Quoting Sisteract:

They should HAVE to feed people who are being held captive. I have sat on the tarmac for 2:59 for a coast to coast flight and the crew of Jet Blue would not even serve water (summertime flight)...citing supply issues.  I guess at 3:00 hours they have to start financially compensating. We quickly moved up to the front of the que to avoid the payout.

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Wow that was so incredibly nice of him. Sounds like a pay in forward moment :D

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM

That was nice of him. Thew airline should have to feed people when they are stuck like that though. Hopefully he will was reimbursed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)