Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My current event

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
This weekend we went down to our property in chehalis for a family gathering. Friday, after everyone went to bed, my husband suggested a quick walk to the river. We are on the river, it goes around 2 sides of the property. On one side is a beach, the other a 4 foot drop off. We usually go to the beach and put our feet in the water, but the moon was high and beautiful, so we walked to the drop off. We got over there and were talking, when we heard a faint bark. I have a Chihuahua that i left in the cabin, but it sounded like her, so i looked around and didn't see anything. Whatever it was kept barking and growling. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the river where it hits the drop off, but the grass was too tall too see the base off the drop off. My husband thought it was a coyote, but it sounded too much like Lily and i kept digging at the grass trying to see down.

Finally my husband decided take over, since he's taller. He carefully laid out and hung over the side. Sure enough, he saw a little brown paw. So them he started wiggling himself forward and ripping at the grass, trying to get to where he could see better (he kept thinking coyote pup). It was a min pin, sitting on a tiny little cave-like overhang, not much bigger than she was. He was able to grab her up by the scruff of her neck, and brought her up, where she immediately cuddled into him. We brought her into the cabin so we could see her.

Skin and bones 😢

The next morning my husband took her to town to see if there were any posters up, and ask around. He also went to several of our neighbors upstream, with the assumption that she'd been washed downriver, because the current is pretty fast, but no luck. So he brought her back to the cabin, where she hung out with our dogs, caught herself some moles, etc. And of course being given food and water.

Then, our neighbor kids came over to play with my kids. They're one house over, downstream of us. They saw the dog and freaked. They said it was their friends dog, named Kiki, and she'd been missing for a week. So i took her over and sure enough, the dad confirmed it. She ran off when they were shooting off fireworks, and they looked for her for 2 days before the friend had to go home. Because we live on a fairly fast river, they assumed she probably drowned.

If we hadn't done something out of the ordinary, we might have never found her, and she would have died there. We had been over there during the day, but as a group, laughing and having a good old time, and never heard her. Her bark was so weak.
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM

That poor puppy, being scared of the fireworks and then falling onto that small ledge, being there for who know how long. So VERY fortunate you found her. I do hope her owners are MUCH, MUCH more careful in the future

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM

It was meant to be

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Me too. They said she's 5. Which means this was a known issue. I have a dog who is petrified of loud noises. She's 10. We figured it out when she was a few months old, so we take steps for the 4th and new years eve.

Also, she had a collar on, but no tags. I told them get her tags. My Lily jumped out of my car and i didn't see, but she had tags with my number, so i got a call not 5 minutes later before i even realized she was gone.

Quoting meriana:

That poor puppy, being scared of the fireworks and then falling onto that small ledge, being there for who know how long. So VERY fortunate you found her. I do hope her owners are MUCH, MUCH more careful in the future

okpondlady
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Poor baby.  Our two dug out of the back yard repeatedly because the little jerks behind us kept throwing fireworks over the fence at them. 

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:41 PM

That's amazing. Lucky dog:)

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM

A lot of dogs and cats get very frightened on the 4th and New Years. The two dogs we have now, bark a bit but after the first few booms, they ignor it. They're mostly in the house though and the only door they can get out goes directly into their small fenced yard.  Then there was my Dane. He went everywhere with me including to parades and fire works shows. People were always amazed at how he'd just lie there quietly and watch them with me. I miss him, he was my buddy

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM

That's great that you found her and were able to find her family.  

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Yay dog lovers
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Poor baby. Glad you found her when you did.
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Poor thing.  We have a poster for a missing dog in our area in the store.  She ran off for the same reason. People need to take precautions during the fourth.  I crate mine, which gives them some security.  Our lab, however, wonders where the duck landed so she can retrieve it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)