Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

GLBT: Let's Just Put Our Cards On the Table

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM
  • 203 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: GLBT (the Gays) should:

Options:

Get back in the closet where they belong!

Don't exist, it's all a choice, just choose to be straight.

Should be dealt with as mentally ill, since being gay is pathological.

Be just like any other citizen of the US with the right to marry, have a job, and live their lives regardless of sexual orientation (it shouldn't even be an issue).

Not be allowed to stay in the country, they are the primary cause of disease and immorality.

They shouldn't be allowed to marry, but existing as gay people is OK.

Kill 'em all.

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 169

View Results

Answer the poll. We'll make it anonymous, but you can comment if you want to.

My OPINION: GLBT are people and their right to marry and frankly, to exist in society as themselves is a civil rights issue.

I'm a straight woman, I have no dog in this fight, but I do believe that in most cases, sexual attraction is hard-wired in us from birth.

I know I never made the choice to be straight, I just was. A friend, who struggled with his attraction to other men simply never had that attraction to women. Never happened. He didn't choose, in fact, he spent years denying who he was to try to make others happy.

Civil rights shouldn't be denied and shouldn't come up for a vote. That's my opinion.

NOTE: The responses I have put for the poll are ones I have heard from various people on this site and elsewhere.

by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemum41
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I agree with you. I voted "Be just like any other citizen of the US with the right to marry, have a job, and live their lives regardless of sexual orientation (it shouldn't even be an issue).

Your list of choices crack me up. "Kill 'em all" in particluar. ( I really hope nobody ever said that and meant it ! Yikes)

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

That little gem is actually from my right wing nutjob brother. He believes that being gay should be illegal and punishable by death. One incident of proven 'sodomy' and you get executed. 

Then again, he also thinks we shouldn't have trials anymore, just someone showing evidence with no defense. If there is no proof of innocence, you should go to prison or be taken out back of the courthouse and shot immediately. No appeals, no actual court system, no lawyer for defendants.

Have I mentioned that he's a nutjob?

Quoting littlemum41:

I agree with you. I voted "Be just like any other citizen of the US with the right to marry, have a job, and live their lives regardless of sexual orientation (it shouldn't even be an issue).

Your list of choices crack me up. "Kill 'em all" in particluar. ( I really hope nobody ever said that and meant it ! Yikes)

littlemum41
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow.  :(

Quoting GLWerth:

That little gem is actually from my right wing nutjob brother. He believes that being gay should be illegal and punishable by death. One incident of proven 'sodomy' and you get executed. 

Then again, he also thinks we shouldn't have trials anymore, just someone showing evidence with no defense. If there is no proof of innocence, you should go to prison or be taken out back of the courthouse and shot immediately. No appeals, no actual court system, no lawyer for defendants.

Have I mentioned that he's a nutjob?

Quoting littlemum41:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM
5 moms liked this

I don't think you are going to get honest answers even in your anonymous poll.  The people who are so vociferous about "the gay agenda," "gay militants," and gays "shoving it in their faces" are not able to admit to themselves the depth of their fear and hatred.  Even though their revulsion and distaste comes through loud and clear whenever they post about this topic.   

I support full rights, including to marry, for gay people.  I also think that gay should become a class protected from discrimination at the federal level.  

TappyToes
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM
4 moms liked this

Wow !  I'd hate to live in his mind !

My guess is that he has homo. thoughts and works so hard to overcome them that its making him crazy.

Quoting GLWerth:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this
Here's my stance: you can go stick your dick in a tree and I don't care. As long as you aren't hurting anyone or any other living thing, more power to you. Do I think homosexuality is a choice? No. Nope. I have never met a straight man who woke up one day and thought "I think I might try penis today." Would I care if it was a choice? Nope. Again, if you're the appropriate age of consent, why do I care? I think it's pretty sad that we live in a society that feels they have the right to prohibit others from making their own choices. I have no tolerance for bigotry, it's based off of ignorance and fear. They should be chastised and called out on their hatred and stupidity, but they should all have equal rights (I had to throw that in. Yes, I'm intolerant of bigots on a personal level but support them being treated equally in our laws. See how that works, bigots?)
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I do not have a problem with someone being a homosexual. That is their cross to bear. They should be able to work without fear of losing their jobs. they should have the same rights as everyone else in this country, but not special rights. Do I think they should be able to marry each other, no I don't. this is not a civil rights issue.
GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I simply avoid being around him at all. He's got similarly awful opinions on most everything.

He also likes to get drunk and fondle women who aren't his wife in bars and then smack his wife if she dares to object. He's just delightful. After his last visit here, which included a 3 am screaming fight between him and his wife on the street, he's no longer welcome in my home.

He's just delightful.

I am ashamed to be related to him.

Quoting TappyToes:

Wow !  I'd hate to live in his mind !

My guess is that he has homo. thoughts and works so hard to overcome them that its making him crazy.

Quoting GLWerth:

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I suspect that those people are using "other" as cover...

I get tired of people searching for reasons to marginalize and demonize other  people, usually based on religion.

Quoting momtoscott:

I don't think you are going to get honest answers even in your anonymous poll.  The people who are so vociferous about "the gay agenda," "gay militants," and gays "shoving it in their faces" are not able to admit to themselves the depth of their fear and hatred.  Even though their revulsion and distaste comes through loud and clear whenever they post about this topic.   

I support full rights, including to marry, for gay people.  I also think that gay should become a class protected from discrimination at the federal level.  

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM
3 moms liked this

But are you willing to pay for their dick splinter treatment? That's the real question!

THINK OF THE SAPLINGS!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!).

Quoting ashellbell: Here's my stance: you can go stick your dick in a tree and I don't care. As long as you aren't hurting anyone or any other living thing, more power to you. Do I think homosexuality is a choice? No. Nope. I have never met a straight man who woke up one day and thought "I think I might try penis today." Would I care if it was a choice? Nope. Again, if you're the appropriate age of consent, why do I care? I think it's pretty sad that we live in a society that feels they have the right to prohibit others from making their own choices. I have no tolerance for bigotry, it's based off of ignorance and fear. They should be chastised and called out on their hatred and stupidity, but they should all have equal rights (I had to throw that in. Yes, I'm intolerant of bigots on a personal level but support them being treated equally in our laws. See how that works, bigots?)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)