Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

what if the children were coming in unaccompanied from Europe, Asia or Africa?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM
  • 118 Replies
2 moms liked this

How do you all think the story would be differenct if the children were coming in on planes from around the world?

by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
If they were coming in from the middle east, it'd be the same.
1stmuslimah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Della529: If they were coming in from the middle east, it'd be the same.

There are a very few from near east, NW Africa, and I am sure Asia being they can't just walk over. Unless they have over stayed a Visa which most don't usually do it is not real probable.

Before 9/11 when the laws and restrictions were different they would  come documented to Canada and drive right over 10 minutes to Dearborn in which they could then easily go through the process with USA. All of that changed and some are still stuck.

If they could get back to Canada where they are documented which now they can't without without some really good false papers and pass port or a smuggler which both are only a 5% chance as tight as they have the border they could easily get on a plain and pay their own way home as they have their own money.

They want to go home and have wanted to for 14 years. The problem is unlike these others to turn their self in even having their own money to pay their own way the new law requires they must be detained and sentenced an up to a 10 year prison sentence before they can return home.

They (the very few) don't want to go to prison so they just live in hiding, working for cash, putting everything in other peoples name and hope for the law to change. They also like I said have their own money and do not want even if they did qualify but don't they would not dream of accepting Well Fare.

The only right they have is to have a drivers license in which most have International diver liver license any way but even when that expires they can get a state issued.

Of course these prison sentence's for people who have no money, want to milk the system and do not want to pay their way back and couldn't if they wanted to does not apply to them.

I tried several years ago to marry my friend just to get him a Green Card so he could get back to Tunisia and I tried to help with all options and there is no solution without that 10 year prison sentence.

My husband which is also my cousin and several of the Iraqi guys he was involved with got in to some federal trouble back in the 90's. After they did their prison time for their crime they were court ordered deported and have been living in USA since the late 90's and some of them who had longer terms since the early to mid 2000's. They are stripped of all status. In other words they do not exist any more since being court ordered deported and striped of their Green cards. They too want to go back to Iraq and they have the money and our family's have the money but Iraqi's even though court ordered deported and just here breathing air with the only right of divers licence are not allowed to go back... Stupidity.

The difference is though like I said they and our family's have money. They do not ask for Food stamps and other Well fare because they are taken care of and most have their own business's just under other people's names in which taxes are still paid.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

The Refugee Resettlement Act was originally written regarding southeast Asians, post-Vietnam.

codfish
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM
6 moms liked this
It wouldn't change my opinion in the least.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM
8 moms liked this

Same thing.  They are here illegally and we do not have the resources to support them.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM
13 moms liked this

Well, I know one thing. If they are a German Christian family claiming "persecution" because they were not legally allowed to homeschool their bajillion kids, many were in full support. Even when the family admitted crusing right on by other countries in the EU where they could legally home school.

Yep, the same ladies b-ing and m-ing about this, loudly cheered on that family.

It seems it all depends on what people look like, their hue and at times, their religion.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Wouldn't change my mind at all, We simply cannot afford to take in everyone. As for the family that asked for asylum in order to home school their children. That is so completely stupid there are no words, wanting to homeschool one's children should NOT be a reason for asking for asylum, let alone receiving it.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Nope.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:09 PM
7 moms liked this
I'm so ashamed of this country.
Bellarose0212
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I think it would be different and we probably would have been more aware of the horrors happening to them in the first place as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)