Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ted Cruz: Democrats ‘declare war on Catholic Church’ with contraception ‘faith fines’

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 33 Replies

Ted Cruz: Democrats ‘declare war on Catholic Church’ with contraception ‘faith fines’

By Travis Gettys
Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:43 EDT

Ted Cruz faith fines

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) accused Democrats of declaring “war on the Catholic Church” by imposing “faith fines” on religious groups that refuse to offer contraceptives as part of employee health care benefits.

The Texas Republican spoke Wednesday in opposition to a bill introduced by Sens. Patty Murray (D-WA) and Mark Udall (D-CO) that would, in effect, overturn the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in the Hobby Lobby case.

“The bill that is being voted on this floor, if it were adopted, would fine the Little Sisters of the Poor millions of dollars unless these Catholic nuns are willing to pay for abortion-producing drugs for others,” Cruz said.

Cruz — a likely 2016 presidential candidate who has been claiming in recent speeches to faith groups that Democrats intend to overturn the First Amendment – then posed a loaded question to President Barack Obama.

“Mr. President, when did the Democratic Party declare war on the Catholic Church?” the senator said.

Cruz then offered some “concern troll” advice to Democrats.

“Let me make a basic suggestion,” Cruz said. “If you’re litigating against nuns, you have probably done something wrong, and the Obama administration is doing so right now. Mr. President, drop your faith fines. Mr. Majority leader, drop your faith fines. To all of my Democratic colleagues, drop your faith fines. Get back to the shared values that stitch all of us together as Americans.”

Senate Republicans successfully filibustered the “Protect Women’s Health from Corporate Interference Act” that would have preserved the contraception coverage exemption for religious institutions and nonprofit groups.

But for-profit corporations – such as Hobby Lobby – would have been required to provide employees with insurance plans that offered contraceptive coverage.

As for Little Sisters of the Poor, the Obama administration has said the charity’s insurer – the Christian Brothers Employee Benefits Trust – is exempt from the mandate.

But the nonprofit organization objects to a federal requirement to sign a form that would allow employees to seek birth control directly from their insurance carrier.

Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor granted a temporary injunction early this year from that provision in the Affordable Care Act, and the case is still pending before the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM
4 moms liked this
ted cruz is a moron...
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM

The Little Sisters of the Poor are for profit? 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Wouldn't it be awesome if he were the GOP Presidential candidate?
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM
3 moms liked this
"Get back to the shared values that stitch all of us together as Americans." Respectfully Mr. Cruz, the Catholic Church is not that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM
3 moms liked this
He's using the "say a lie long enough and loud enough" strategy. Works for tons of republicans.
DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting LauraKW: Wouldn't it be awesome if he were the GOP Presidential candidate?

Thanks so much for this.  Now I can go to bed tonight and have sweet dreams of a Cruz vs Clinton presidential election. 

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this
But he's lying. Non profit church groups are excluded. He just can't stand the thought of women having sex without "consequences". Men have often had sex without consequences because they can run away before babies are born or deny them or simply refuse to pay for them.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Ted Cruz, last time I checked, was not a leader of my church and certainly does not speak for everyone
buttersworth
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM

he does have ties to the Jesuits

Quoting snookyfritz: Ted Cruz, last time I checked, was not a leader of my church and certainly does not speak for everyone

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:35 AM

It's gonna be funky-do when he does run.

In controversy will be the fact he was born in Canada but with one parents American and therefore has dual citizenship. But he wasn't born here, so that's gonna be a little bit of an issue though he is probably legally eligible.

Quoting LauraKW: Wouldn't it be awesome if he were the GOP Presidential candidate?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)