Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Utah mom’s plea: Let 12-year-old daughter into first grade

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:29 PM
  • 40 Replies

Mobile Photo

A 12 year old girl has a rare disorder and she is the size of and has the cognitive ability of an average 6 year old. Her mother would like to enroll her in a typical 1st grade class rather than have her daughter attend a special education class at the middle school.

The school district has refused the request saying that it's best for everyone if the girl attends her age approipate speical education class instead of first grade.

Would you be comfortable with an older child in your child's class? Does the size of the child make a difference?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/58173951-68/grade-alexis-watson-education.html.csp
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this
How come; the abortion, gay marriage, Israel/Palestine, etc., seem easier to talk about than this post?
petie1104
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know. A lot of different things are at play here. Will she develop at the normal rate? Are there behavioral issues at play? Why does the school want her in an age appropriate class? I would assume there is a reason.

So, for me, since I am not educated on these things, it becomes difficult to say how I feel on the issue.
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

The inclusion sped class for my dd had her, she was the only kindergartener the rest ranged from 8/9 to 11, now granted the older kids are perpetual infants, they are non verbal, non mobile very low functioning. 

The class they want to move my daughter to is an inclusion class that is low function autistic as well as the wheel chair bound kids she was with previously. This new class is 5/6 yrs to 14. I do not want my daughter in this room, not because of the age range, she just needs to be in a room where there is constant verbalization. 

I don't think this girl needs to be in a middle school but that is my opinion 

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Special needs is a tricky place, when to main stream when not to. Who quilfies for what without deminishing the needs of the nurotypical children, will it take to much time from the teacher, will the child have an aid , who's responsible if something goes wrong, the parent or the school.

Its not simple in any way.
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Given that she is the size, and has the cognitive functioning, of an average 6yo, I don't think it's necessarily inappropriate for her to attend 1st grade.

But I do have some questions - has she attended school previously, was she with her peers age wise, what are mom's expectations of her daughter's education?

In most cases kids 'age out' at 21 or 22, so in 9 or 10 years, if she is still with this class of kids, will mom be okay with her aging out without graduating?

Without a lot more information, it's hard to say what is the right call here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elle7777
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this

So what are they supposed to do? Keep her in first grade forever? She only has 6 more years of public education and they can't just keep her in elementary school because that's where the mom thinks she belongs. Could you imaging a 16 year old in elementary school? And what happens when another parent wants to keep their special needs kid in elementary but they aren't physically underdeveloped, but mentally. They could be a danger to the smaller kids. Could  telling that mom no but this mom yes just based on size? Seems like it could be the start of a discrimination lawsuit.

She needs to be treated like other kids with special needs. Kept at the appropriate grade level and be put in a special class if needed.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM
This

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: Special needs is a tricky place, when to main stream when not to. Who quilfies for what without deminishing the needs of the nurotypical children, will it take to much time from the teacher, will the child have an aid , who's responsible if something goes wrong, the parent or the school.

Its not simple in any way.
MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I think they  should allow/try it with the understanding that everyone needs to be prepared for the possibility that it might not work out and that the decision  will be based on what's best for the classroom as a whole.    If it turns out that she is for all intensive purposes just physically older,  it should work out.     But if she has additional special issues the mom should be prepared to accept that she'll be moved to the other class.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
If the child was larger than all the others or at a different developmental level, I would not be on favor of allowing her in first grade. But since she looks and acts like a first grader, why not.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM
I feel for the girl, because it must be uncomfortable for her to be learning with these kids who are probably her size, but I don't know if a first grade setting would be appropriate either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN