Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

One year after HB 2: Half of Texas’ abortion clinics have closed

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:58 AM
  • 145 Replies

One year ago today, Texas Gov. Rick Perry signed HB 2 into law. Since that time, 21 of the state's abortion facilities have closed, leaving 20 open -- and that number could shrink to half-a-dozen by the fall.

The number has dropped primarily because of two major changes in state law. The first, which is already in place, requires abortion doctors to have admitting privileges at hospitals within 30 miles of clinics at which they work. The other, which takes effect on September 1, requires all abortion clinics to upgrade their facilities to be equal to ambulatory surgery centers.

Earlier this year, the pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute reported that America's abortion rate is at a record-low, using data from 2011. While Guttmacher's report and authors indicated state pro-life laws were not responsible for the drop, Cheryl Sullenger of Operation Rescue told LifeSiteNews at the time that "abortion rates are directly connected to the number of abortion providers."

In the Guttmacher report, "abortion rates were lowest in states where there were the fewest abortion providers," said Sullenger.

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:02 AM
11 moms liked this

There are fewer 'reported' abortions where there are fewer abortion clinics. Anyone with a social network in Texas knows how to get the drugs illegally from across the border...you know...in that highly Catholic country of Mexico where they can't get legal abortions either? I guess as long as the offical numbers look good, the health and safety of women in Texas doesn't really matter.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:12 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

In the Guttmacher report, "abortion rates were lowest in states where there were the fewest abortion providers," said Sullenger.

How does lowering the number of clinics able to perform abortions in one state, affect the number of abortions that get performed in neighbouring states that still have clinics open?

People can still cross state lines, I believe?

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:15 AM
4 moms liked this

it will be interesting to see how this has impacted Texas's already high teen birth rate as well as their already high maternal mortality rate.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:17 AM
3 moms liked this

yep DIY abortions are on the rise in Texas.  

Quoting Woodbabe:

There are fewer 'reported' abortions where there are fewer abortion clinics. Anyone with a social network in Texas knows how to get the drugs illegally from across the border...you know...in that highly Catholic country of Mexico where they can't get legal abortions either? I guess as long as the offical numbers look good, the health and safety of women in Texas doesn't really matter.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:21 AM
11 moms liked this

As long as the official numbers are down everyone can polish their halos and pretend the problem is solved.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

yep DIY abortions are on the rise in Texas.  

Quoting Woodbabe:

~Parenting is not a Competitive Sport~
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 7:42 AM
4 moms liked this

what does this accomplish by closing clinics down?  People are still going to get them regardless.  Anyways that term "pro-abortion"  is just really ignorant:/

littlemum41
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:46 AM
5 moms liked this

Free Birth Control and Counseling will reduce the number of abortions even more and solve the problem of unplanned pregnancies more efficiently if only the uptight, puritancal conservatives in Texas ( and other areas) would allow it.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd be interested to see crime statistics for these areas in about 20 years. There was a report about a year or two ago about crime rates dropping post-Roe. The authors speculated that fewer kids growing up in poverty or in situations where they weren't wanted led to the change. 

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM
6 moms liked this

Here's a website, if anyone has the stomach for it (doubt the OP will bother) that will shed light on the horrific amounts of deaths attributed to child abuse and neglect:

http://www.everychildmatters.org/storage/documents/pdf/reports/can_report_august2012_final.pdf

I would have loved to have C & P'd it but its too big and extensive.  Therefore, I am sure it will be largely ignored by those who profess to be interested in saving fetuses while turning a blind eye to what is happening to far too many children in this country.

There are lots of handy charts which highlight various tidbits of fascinating info such as the fact that between 2001 and 2010, there were 15,510 reported child abuse and neglect fatalities, 5877 fatalities for US soldiers in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

I also believe that during the reporting period, Texas had the highest rate of child abuse and neglect fatalities of all states.  Lovely.

None of this includes unreported deaths (shockingly thought to be quite high.....kids just go missing and no one gives a shit)  and kids who live in worse conditions than the worst treated POWs who aren't even reported as well as all those kids, the "lucky" ones who are languishing in foster care, some of which is no better than where they came from.

Yeah.....lets bring more unwanted children into this world.  That is just what we need because apparently we don't have enough kids suffering already.

The short sighted nature of this "rejoicing" is beyond appalling.  Its utterly disgusting and frankly, beyond immoral.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Abortions are still obtainable.  Free/low cost bc is still readily available.  Pregnancy is still 100% preventable by keeping your pants on. 

As far as the do-it-yourself abortions go....I just can't muster up much sympathy for the woman that injures herself while murdering her child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN