Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Over 500 grievous injuries or Deaths on VA

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM
  • 36 Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/17/over-500-grievous-injuries-or-deaths-at-va-hospitals-in-2013/

Veterans Affairs hospitals across the country reported more than 500 incidents last year where patients were gravely injured or died as a result of the care they received.

Data obtained by the Washington Free Beacon through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) shows 575 “institutional disclosures of adverse events”—the bureaucratic phrase for reporting a serious mistake—at VA hospitals in fiscal year 2013.

According to the Veterans Health Administration ethics handbook, such disclosures are required when “an adverse event has occurred during the patient’s care that resulted in or is reasonably expected to result in death or serious injury.”

Specifically, adverse events are defined by the department as “untoward incidents, diagnostic or therapeutic misadventures, iatrogenic injuries, or other occurrences of harm or potential harm directly associated with care or services provided” by the VA.

How many of the 575 “adverse events” reported last year resulted in patient deaths is unknown. It is also unclear how 2013 compared to previous years. The Free Beacon has filed another FOIA request seeking this information.

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Sickening.

If this is how the US treats the people who served this country, people are going to stop joining. Then what?

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I agree. However, people want the government to pay for our healthcare I wonder how well that will turn out.

Quoting VooDooB:

Sickening.

If this is how the US treats the people who served this country, people are going to stop joining. Then what?

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
How does this compare to regular hospitals? Just out of curiosity. Is this totally beyond the pale or statistically in line with standard practices? Not arguing, legitimately curious.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM

An adverse reaction could be a rash from a medication...or a CLABSI...or a fall...

In order for this to be truly significant, comparisons would need to be made with last year's data from similar sized, same patient population type, non VA hospitals.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM
3 moms liked this

Considering the scandals surrounding the VA right now, I don't need comparative studies to understand that they're pretty messed up. So sad that we can find the money to house, educate and provide for all of these illegal children crossing our borders but we can't treat provide vets with the medical care they need in a timely manner.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Amazing how THIS is the kind of system so many are clamoring for.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Obviously, this is not the system anyone is clamoring for.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

An adverse reaction could be a rash from a medication...or a CLABSI...or a fall...

In order for this to be truly significant, comparisons would need to be made with last year's data from similar sized, same patient population type, non VA hospitals.

Most rashes and falls don't have a reasonable expectation of resulting in death or serious injury do they?  

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Obviously, this is not the system anyone is clamoring for.

They are wanting a single-payer government run system.  Here it is.  Anyone thinking it would be different because it covers regular folks is delusional.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Please share your "insider" knowledge-

What is your source?

Or do you take everything you hear at face value?

How do you know which atrocities are real?

I agree, that we have screwed up priorities in terms of budgeting money.

Many people believe that HC is a privilege- only available to those with the money to pay.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Considering the scandals surrounding the VA right now, I don't need comparative studies to understand that they're pretty messed up. So sad that we can find the money to house, educate and provide for all of these illegal children crossing our borders but we can't treat provide vets with the medical care they need in a timely manner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)