Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Celebrities should shut up and perform?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM
  • 61 Replies
3 moms liked this

That was the gist of some of the comments in the post about Eddie Vedder. 'Shut up and sing'. Why should celebs lose their right to speech simply because more people will hear it than when you or I speak? Or does that only apply to the ones you(General) disagree with?

In that post I used the example of Patrick Stewart, one of my heroes, who said that since people only listen to old, white, rich men, then he will speak up. He speaks up about domestic violence due to is experiences as a boy.

Honestly, we are all outspoken here. If you had money and were famous, wouldn't you speak up about your pet causes or politics? I sure as hell would. I certainly don't assume that a celeb speaking out doesn't know what they are talking about. Well, maybe Gwyneth Paltrow ; )

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

They are not paid to do anything other than 'perform'.  At least that is the reasoning some use. *sigh*

If I was in the position celebrities are I would indeed be vocal on issues I find important.

So would many others, they just cry foul when what someone has to say doesn't meet their own agendas.

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I appreciate when they are open about their feelings on issue or when their music provokes and generates political conversation.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

They are not paid to do anything other than 'perform'.  At least that is the reasoning some use. *sigh*

If I was in the position celebrities are I would indeed be vocal on issues I find important.

So would many others, they just cry foul when what someone has to say doesn't meet their own agendas.

I recall many who would disagree with Vedder, cheering Ted Nugent on and he was all for violence against those he disagrees with.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM

They are citizens just like the rest of us.  Citizens with a microphone.  If I had access to the audiences they do, i'd use it to forward what was important to me too

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM
5 moms liked this

While I think they have the right to speak up during their performances, I prefer that they don't.  I go to see them perform, not give their opinions on political or other topics.  If I'm interested in what they have to say about something, I'll look up an interview or other medium where they express their opinion. 

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM
3 moms liked this
They have the right to speak.

I have the right to choose not to support a performer based on political statements I disagree with, which is an inherent risk of their using their press access.
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Kind of annoys me too, especially when I know the speaker has little to no education on a subject and just runs off with the mouth, but the fact is they have every right in the world to say whatever they want and I have every right to say "not going to that concert again."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM
2 moms liked this
You mean a time and place for everything? If I'm paying $100 for a ticket to listen to a band than I don't want an oratory, rant or speech. I don't attend concerts to be lectured. Its offensive. I'm not a family member or friend. Technically, I'm a customer.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

While I think they have the right to speak up during their performances, I prefer that they don't.  I go to see them perform, not give their opinions on political or other topics.  If I'm interested in what they have to say about something, I'll look up an interview or other medium where they express their opinion. 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Yes... a time and place for everything :)

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: You mean a time and place for everything? If I'm paying $100 for a ticket to listen to a band than I don't want an oratory, rant or speech. I don't attend concerts to be lectured. Its offensive. I'm not a family member or friend. Technically, I'm a customer.
Quoting OHgirlinCA:

connie45
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM

We saw Linda Ronstadt several years ago on her 2nd concert night.  The reviews from opening night were all about how she went on and on about ..who knows what...  When she started up again the night we were there, many if not most of the concertgoers - called out her to "Shaddup and sing!"    She must have got the message becuse she barely mentioned here and there her political views or dislike of whoever.

Even if one agress with what she/he is soapboxing about - thats not why we are here.  It's almost like she gathered people there under false pretenses, just to trap us into her pontifications and intermingle it with some songs.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN