Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

a random thing you might need to know

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM
  • 39 Replies
2 moms liked this
just so you know, if you ever need to get a masectomy or double masectomy, the insurance company will pay for most if not all of the cost of the masectomy bras and prosthesis. I am passing this on because I did not have a clue. I would have paid for this myself and they are expensive, had someone not told me this. I just got off the phone with my insurance company and because with all my surgeries and doctor appointments I have had in last 2 months, this will now be 100% paid for.
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM
I sincerely hope no one in here will have to go through this, but if you do, it is good to know this.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Good info, thanks!

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome.  I'm not sure this applies across the board for all insurance companies....do you know?  It should, I hope it does.

I have heard that reconstruction can be more grueling than the masectomy.  When are you planning on doing this?

At least its nice to know that you don't have to worry about the cost.  More worry about such stuff is the last thing you need when you are going through something like this.

I hope everything goes smoothly and that its all behind you sooner rather than later.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a relief to know that those options are there. Breast cancer in my family is all too familiar, at 33 I'm having to pay more attention to my body now. Thank you for sharing.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Good info to share.

I wish you well in your recovery and future.  

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I have not yet decided if and when I will get reconstructive surgery. I am still off work and by the time I go back I will have missed over two months. Another surgery will keep me from work at least 6 more weeks so I have put that on a back burner for now.

from what I am hearing this seems to be standard from most insurance companies.

Quoting idunno1234:

That is awesome.  I'm not sure this applies across the board for all insurance companies....do you know?  It should, I hope it does.

I have heard that reconstruction can be more grueling than the masectomy.  When are you planning on doing this?

At least its nice to know that you don't have to worry about the cost.  More worry about such stuff is the last thing you need when you are going through something like this.

I hope everything goes smoothly and that its all behind you sooner rather than later.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I have also been told if you need chemo, which praise God I do not, they will also pay for the Wig or most of the cost of it.

Quoting ashellbell: That's a relief to know that those options are there. Breast cancer in my family is all too familiar, at 33 I'm having to pay more attention to my body now. Thank you for sharing.
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I recently had the BRACA test done and was pleased to find that my insurance covered the entire cost which totalled almost $4500. Knowing that my mother & aunt have both had breast cancer with mother having a mastectomy, I researched what they would cover in the eventuality that I do develop breast cancer. My insurace company, too, will cover 100% of the bras & prosthetic. It takes some of the worry off my mind.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm sorry to hear you have been going through this Candle.   I hope you are on the mend.  

If you ever want a soft pair of knit bits, I'd be happy to make you a pair of these.  I've made them for other ladies who have opted not to have reconstructrive surgery.  They are soft so they don't rub on the scars.  

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Is this with all insurance companies?

Quoting candlegal: I have also been told if you need chemo, which praise God I do not, they will also pay for the Wig or most of the cost of it.

Quoting ashellbell: That's a relief to know that those options are there. Breast cancer in my family is all too familiar, at 33 I'm having to pay more attention to my body now. Thank you for sharing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN