Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fluff Post: Help me Organize my Kitchen

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM
  • 38 Replies

My house was built in 1950. We are a family of 4, living in what is essentially 850 square feet of space. The house has a full basement, but it is unfinished and not the most comfortable place to spend time.

The kitchen especially needs some help. It's galley-style, and very small. I don't have a TON of appliances but I find it hard to find room for everything I do have.  Here are some pictures.

This is, basically, all the counterspace I have. You can see a microwave, a coffee grinder, a blender (the blendy parts are in the dishwasher), a coffee pot (some water balloons are behind it, gotta keep them secret), a toaster and some cleaning supplies. 

The cabients and the set of drawers are the only ones available. I can't even really use the lower left cabinet, and I'll show you why...

That's pretty much the only place the garbage can go. The bag is recycling, and the broom and mop can only go there, as far as I can tell...

This is the other side of the kitchen. Here you see my pet food nook (the only other place I can think to put the garbage, but it's too small, and then where would the pet food go?)

And on the other side of the stove, I've placed a butcher block, where I store the fruit I buy, and prep food.

That dark stain there is from the people I rented my house out to leaving engine parts on it. The sink is similarly stained. I hate them.

Under the butcher block I have a crock pot, a waffle iron, a grill set, and a set of mixing bowls that are too wide to fit in my tiny cabinets.

That's pretty much the whole kitchen. The dishwasher and fridge are to the right of the sink, and there is nowhere else for either of them to be. I had to lose a cabinet to install the dishwasher :/

I need to find a different place to put the garbage and recycling, the pet food, and a storage solution for unused appliances and pots/pans/storage containers so that I can have more counter space.

What'cha got?

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Holy crap that's a tiny kitchen!

Any space on your walls for shelving?

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Does it have a garage is it attached?  Is the basement dry?  Can you get a cabinet that can be placed down there to store the things you don't use daily?   This may free up some cupboard space so you can put away the kitchen appliances you use frequently but don't necessarily want taking up counter space.  

Something like this as an example 

multipurpose cabinent

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM

How about stack-able shelves in the cupboards?

Shelves on the walls.

Storage shelves that hang on the inside of cupboard door.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM

also under cabinent wall racks that you can hang things on 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50072645/

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Maybe some above the stove, but that's kind of a bad idea. There is also a little behind the fridge. Let me get a pic...

Shelves would really make it more difficult to open the fridge completely.

Also, yes, the top of my fridge is the catch-all for my house lol. 

Quoting VooDooB:

Holy crap that's a tiny kitchen!

Any space on your walls for shelving?

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM

No garage, but the basement is pretty dry. The washer and dryer are down there, so I'm down there a lot anyway. That's not a bad idea.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Does it have a garage is it attached?  Is the basement dry?  Can you get a cabinet that can be placed down there to store the things you don't use daily?   This may free up some cupboard space so you can put away the kitchen appliances you use frequently but don't necessarily want taking up counter space.  

Something like this as an example 

multipurpose cabinent

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM

we put the pet food in rubbermaid totes out in the garage.  (so maybe downstairs in the basement)?  

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I'm not sure I want to traipse up and down the steps that many times a day lol. That would be: laundry, to get pots and pans, AND to feed the cats every time the dog eats their food? Lamesauce.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

we put the pet food in rubbermaid totes out in the garage.  (so maybe downstairs in the basement)?  

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Are you on Pinterest?

I just typed in small kitchen storage in their search engine and a slew of ideas popped up.

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=small%20kitchen%20storage&rs=ac&len=13

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM

that's what kids are for ;)

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

I'm not sure I want to traipse up and down the steps that many times a day lol. That would be: laundry, to get pots and pans, AND to feed the cats every time the dog eats their food? Lamesauce.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)