Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is this a 12 year old or a member of the Obama Administration?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM
  • 39 Replies

‘My bad’: State Dept. official apologizes for #UnitedForGaza tweet

Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy Richard Stengel gave a peculiar apology to outraged Twitter users on Sunday after he tweeted #UnitedForGaza to his 15,000 followers.

In a tweet directed to the State Department, Mr. Stengel said, "Critical for a full, credible and unimpeded intl investigation of crash. Urge Russia to honor it's [sic] commitment," Twitchy first reported.

After receiving swift backlash, the tweet was deleted, and Mr. Stengel sent out a terse explanation.

"Earlier tweet with wrong hashtag was a mistake. My bad," he said.

It wasn't immediately made clear how Mr. Stengel tweeted the wrong hashtag. He would have had to type it incorrectly, or copy and paste it incorrectly, and he would have had to then press the "tweet" button to send it out. Mr. Stengel sent out a subsequent, almost identical tweet, but instead with the hashtag #UnitedForUkraine.

Twitter users weren't buying Mr. Stengel's apology.

"Please, enlighten us as to how one incorrectly uses a hashtag like #UnitedForGaza. Maybe autocorrect changed #UnitedForGaga?" tweeted Sean.

"'My bad.' That's something a 12 yr old would say. Shameful that you represent this country," said Rachel Ward.

Mr. Stengel, who was the managing editor of Time magazine from 2006 to 2013, was sworn in on February 14 as Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs. He oversees the bureaus of Educational and Cultural Affairs, International Information Programs and Public Affairs as well as the Center for Strategic Counterterrorism Communications, according to the State Department's website.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/20/my-bad-state-dept-official-apologizes-unitedforgaz/#ixzz38CGOwANB 

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Mr. Stengel, who was the managing editor of Time magazine from 2006 to 2013, was sworn in on February 14 as Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs. He oversees the bureaus of Educational and Cultural Affairs, International Information Programs and Public Affairs as well as the Center for Strategic Counterterrorism Communications, according to the State Department's website.

No shock that the media has so warped most issues in the country - this is who they are.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:27 AM
6 moms liked this

Meh. Yet another post about nothing, really. Ya'll are rolling this morning.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM

lol, oops My bad:) 

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM
4 moms liked this

Yet, here you are~ responding.  Thanks for the bump ;)

Nonetheless, I wouldn't expect Obama supporters/democrats to find this pathetic display of social media communication to be out of line for a member of the current Presidential admin. Thanks for proving me right! 

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Meh. Yet another post about nothing, really. Ya'll are rolling this morning.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Hashtags are juvenile and so are politicians who use them.

Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

If he'd used #UnitedForIsrael that would be appropriate, yes?

tiffyhamm
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Quoting Della529:

Most likely, yes. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't know why anyone would be surprised....juvenile adults are almost the norm these days.....just look at some of the posts on this site.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Absolutely!!

Quoting Della529:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN