Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

3 day work week!?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 6 Replies

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/21/news/economy/three-day-work-week/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

The world's 2nd richest man, who lives in Mexico, is suggesting this "madness". There are several catches, like working 11 hour days, and working until you are 70 or 75.

"With three work days a week, we would have more time to relax; for quality of life," Slim was quoted as saying. "Having four days [off] would be very important to generate new entertainment activities and other ways of being occupied."

Opinions?

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:19 PM

It's not unheard of.  The last several years that my dad worked (he's retired now), he worked four 12-hour shifts one week, and three 12-hour shifts the next.

I don't think it's practical for the population as a whole, though.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM

If I could make the same amount of money, I would LOVE a 3 day work week. 

I think in many cases 3 day work weeks would lead to better productivity.  Do I think we'll ever see it?  Nope.

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I had a job where we did 4, 10 hour days. I wouldn't be opposed to it but it will never happen here.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Easy for him to say it would be great for everyone. Working 11 hours a day, 3 days a week could be very detrimental to those living paycheck to paycheck. That's 33 hours per week, vs a normal 40 hour work week.Take, for instance, someone making 10.00 per hour. A 33 hour week means their paycheck for one month is 1,320.00 before taxes vs 1,600 before taxes for a 40 hour week. Sure they'd have more free time but to do what? Watch the grass grow? Then there's the thing about retirement age being 70 - 75. That's probably not going to be a big deal if one works in an office but for those that do physical labor it would be a real problem and present safety risks.

Ever notice how those that come up with this kind of thing are always very, very wealthy individuals with very, very cushy office jobs if they work at all?

drinkme8184
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Yeah, I am down.  I am in school for nursing right now and I really hope i will be able to find a job working 3 days a week for 12 hours rather than 5 days a week for 8 hours. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Um working 11 hours a day for a 74 year old would be horrible.

A 12 hour Monday

8 hour Tuesday

off on Wed

12 hour Thursday

8 hour Friday

off Sat and Sunday 

Retire at a reasonable age would be much better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)