Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Delta cancels all flights to Israel (Update: FAA Bans All U.S. Airline Flights in or Out of Israeli Airport)

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM
  • 81 Replies
1 mom liked this

Delta Air Lines cancels flights to Israel, cites reports of rocket near Tel Aviv airport

By The Associated Press

Delta Air Lines is canceling all flights to Israel until further notice, citing reports that a rocket landed near Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport.

A Delta Boeing 747 from New York was flying over the Mediterranean headed for Tel Aviv on Tuesday when it turned around and flew to Paris instead. Flight 468 had 273 passengers and 17 crew on board.

Airlines and passengers are growing more anxious about safety since last week, when a Malaysia Airlines jet was shot down over Ukraine, killing all 298 people on board.

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I'd be freaked out too!

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Lets hope others follow suit. When they were told not to fly there, did they think it was a joke??

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

FAA Bans All U.S. Airline Flights in or Out of Israeli Airport

The Federal Aviation Administration on Tuesday temporarily banned all U.S. airlines from flying to or from Israel’s Ben Gurion International Airport following a nearby rocket strike.

The FAA’s notice “was issued in response to a rocket strike which landed approximately one mile from Ben Gurion International Airport” Tuesday morning, the agency said in a statement. The ban will remain in place “for a period of up to 24 hours.”

Delta Air Lines and United Airlines had already announced Tuesday they were suspending all service between the U.S. and Israel before the FAA notice was issued. A Delta flight from New York bound for Tel Aviv was flying over the Mediterranean when it turned around and landed in Paris instead. US Airways also canceled its one daily flight.

European airlines Air France and Lufthansa also suspended their flights to Tel Aviv, the Associated Press reported.

Israel is in its 14th day of Operation Protective Edge, launched in response to continuing rocket fire from Hamas militants in Gaza into Israel.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Just got the news alert on my phone about this.

People are mad and crazed and the world is a complete mess.

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Aviation Administration told U.S. airlines Tuesday they are prohibited from flying to the Tel Aviv airport in Israel for 24 hours following a Hamas rocket explosion nearby.

Wow, this could have been another horrible moment...

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Angry? Too selfish and stupid to see the danger is more like it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I wish people would stop blowing stuff up. It just seems like there is no end in sight to the violence.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Good

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: Angry? Too selfish and stupid to see the danger is more like it.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Where did I mention anger?

Chris030406
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Sad.

My DH has friends who are supposed to travel to Israel next month. He is hoping to go next year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)