Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Without your record sales - aka fans, you'd be nothing..

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:00 AM
  • 2 Replies
Photo CC by David King

Photo CC by David King

The San Diego Union-Tribune had an interview with veteran rocker Gene Simmons from the band Kiss recently which went off the rails very early, revealing that self-styled “marketing genius” is little more than another self-entitled freeloader who believes he owes nothing to his fan base for the lifestyle he now lives.

From the article:

I have been part of the 1 percent for the past 30 years.

When asked how it felt being part of the 1 percent, the “genius” behind “Kiss Meet The Phantom” had this to say.

It’s fantastic! The 1 percent pays 80 percent of all taxes. Fifty percent of the population of the U.S. pays no taxes. The 1 percent provides all the jobs for everybody else. If the 1 percent didn’t exist, there would be chaos and the American economy would drop dead. Try being nice to rich people. I don’t remember the last poor person who gave me a job.

Gene, people pay taxes. From gas tax to sales taxes, people pay a lot of taxes. And each of those pennies adds up to a lot of money. Remember that Kiss Army of yours, each dumping in a quarter for your fan club? That winds up being some pretty nice cash, all put together. That’s how taxes work. You know this. Just because some lucky stiff gets to pay more by himself due to fortune and luck does not mean that the contributions of others do not matter.

You don’t remember the last poor person who gave you a job? That would be your audience at your last arena show. That would be the person who just paid $1.29 to download “I Was Made For Lovin You” on iTunes. That is the poor person who gave you a job.

Gene, you sell on average half a million dollars worth of merchandise at every single concert. That’s an awful lot of Kiss Condoms. People save up for months to go to a concert. Those are the poor, the 99% who are not you, and you owe them everything. And this is how you repay them?

You bring shame on your family Chaim Witz. It does not matter how big you get, how much money you make, if you sell out 50 seat clubs or 50,000 seat arenas. You owe everything to your fans, to those poor schlubs who gave you a job – to be Gene Simmons, the Dragon.

It was only 15 years ago you told Rolling Stone:

I’ve always been a fan of Americana, and Americana has always been about imagery, often above content. I think there’s nothing wrong with that. The world worships this culture. Most people only think about America in terms of rock & roll, movies and television. Kiss is very all-American, in the sense that our constituency has never had anything in common with critics… because our power, our lifeblood, our very reason for existence is our fans. Without them, we’d be nothing.

Now those words ring hollow today. Your fans are the poor who support you. The 1% do not give jobs, those come from the 99% who buy, shop, consume.

After all, just like you said, “Without them, we’d be nothing.”

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM

Don't forget the KISS Kaskets.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:34 AM
He must have been in a pissy mood to say shit like that out loud. He knows better abs honestly from what I've seen about him, doesn't really reflect his daily life. I'm not a fan of kiss at all but dh was. I think it's a law or something that teenage boys from that time period had to like kiss and think they were great artists or something because honestly it's beyond me. but anyway, I had watched his reality show and he was always super cordial and generous to his fans with his time and energy. I mean they had a shoe about one guy who would just pop up every now and again and spend the day with thy family. He thought he was a daily friends but the gene, he was a big fan who was owed the courtesy abd they tolerated this fan showing up to their house, hanging out and doing pics for a long time. Not many people would do that at all, much less consistently.
I don't like the music and find him pretty smarmy but I was surprised he would say something so stupid and rather out of character for him like that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)