Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anti-Abortion Activists Freak Out Over Ice Cream Flavor

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM
  • 83 Replies

Anti-Abortion Activists Freak Out Over Shop's Planned Parenthood Ice Cream Flavor

Abortion ice cream??? for this sick, twisted organization and the souls that are lost in it. that...

She's thinking about it now.

Anti-abortion supporters got wind of the ice cream shop's Planned Parenthood fundraiser, and they let their disapproval be known.

"I was surprised," Ostrovsky told HuffPost.

As it does regularly with local groups, What's The Scoop? partnered with Planned Parenthood to create a new flavor -- in this case, a mix of honey vanilla and rose petal called Rose City Revolution.

The shop arranged for the organization to sell the ice cream, as well as a few other flavors, for a period of time and keep 50 percent of the profit. On July 17, What's The Scoop? hosted a three-hour party for the organization to invite guests. During that time, the parlor donated 10 percent of all sales to the group.

However, the store's community-mindedness hit a rocky road just before the event kicked off.

Ostrovsky said the backlash appears to have begun with a posting on an anti-abortion blog, which called the flavor "Blood and Scream!"

Another comment from elsewhere, Ostrovsky said, compared her to Josef Mengele, the Nazi who performed human experiments and picked concentration camp inmates to be killed.

"Some of them have been scary," Ostrovsky told Willamette Week of the reactions. "Some of them are bizarre and odd. We don’t know why they’re telling us that we have problems when they’re saying terrible, threatening things."

However, the shop's Facebook page, where some of the negative comments appeared, has received a deluge of support.

"Keep on the good work with making wonderful flavors and supporting health care facilities that need it!" one visitor wrote. "As for all the other commenters: you should all be absolutely ashamed of yourselves."

Despite the controversy, Ostrovsky explained to Eater Portland that she's grateful for a "wonderful outpouring of support.”

h/t Mediaite

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Obama licker on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Is this serious? Good lord, the pro life nutters are 50 shades of crazy. Glad Lifesitenews got this shop a whole lot of support.

BTW: that ice cream does sound delish!!!

numbr1wmn
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Did you expect pro life people to be happy about it? NOPE. Just like non relgious people don't like Chick a fil.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
In Portland this just means lots of publicity. Thanks, Lifesitenews, for the money they couldn't have raised without you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not religious and I like CFA.  I don't eat there, but I used to like its food.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Did you expect pro life people to be happy about it? NOPE. Just like non relgious people don't like Chick a fil.

numbr1wmn
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I didn't say you personally.

Quoting Della529:

I'm not religious and I like CFA.  I don't eat there, but I used to like its food.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh.

People continue to be crazy.
numbr1wmn
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Do you think its crazy when someone protests against GWB? or occupy movement? or LGBQ movements?

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Religion has nothing to do with liking/not liking Chick-fil-a. There are plenty of religious people who can't stand it and plenty of non-religious people who love it.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Do you think its crazy when someone protests against GWB? or occupy movement? or LGBQ movements?

There's a big difference between protesting something and going completely off the rails crazy about it.

TommieToo
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM
4 moms liked this

Ahhh don't you luv the smell of "Pro-Lifers" in heat ??  

They just don't know what to do with themselves, so they protest ICE CREAM of all things.

banging head into wall

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)